Active Topics

[QUOTE=atilla;738689]
Originally Posted by fnordianslip View Post
its ok if you dont like nokia phones.i dont like mny things too but what are you doing here at maemo.org????
pls explain me that cause i dont understand why you register at a forum like maemo if you hate any nokia device.and why you bought the n900??if i hate somethink then i dont buy it......
really confused.......
I don't hate the N900. I bought it to replace my aging N800 and to consign my iPod, Tomtom, Holux GPS and Z600 phone to the pile of obsoleted stuff in the corner. In this respect, it has fulfilled its purpose. I thank Nokia for making it.

On the other hand, I don't thank Nokia for Osbourning it, and probably its successor too. I don't thank them for following up their "Fixed-In-Freemantle" mantra with the current state of affairs regarding future support for the N900. I don't thank them for half-arsed effort in applying polish to their applications or even finishing them (again). I don't thank them for not communicating with us; they solicit our feedback with forced subscriptions, by SMS and email, but provide little to us when we (the Maemo community) request real info from them about the future of our devices.

This is why I think Nokia suck. They sucked in most of these respects when I was using my N800 a couple of years ago, and only seem to have got worse. BUT, the N8x0 and N900 are awesome devices, and well worth having, despite Nokia.

Maemo has been a useful platform and the community that has grown up here has benefited from Nokias open attitude to development. I don't think that the Maemo team at Nokia suck. I do think that Nokias philosophy sucks, when it comes to supporting their platforms.

So, I'll defend the Maemo community, the N900 and Maemo itself (mostly), but not Nokia, although they could be far worse, they just don't seem to get "it". Saying this, they have started something that I hope will get better with wider support and more devices without the single-source aspect of Maemo.

My view of Nokia as a corporate entity shouldn't be thought of as applying to the Nokia employees we find around here though (although somewhat less frequently than in the past), or any individual. Finally, I don't hate them. They just suck. If they sucked less, I might buy their future devices. If my N900 were to vanish, I'd probably buy another, as there is nothing else out there that could replace it.

I've been here in the forums for quite a while, and quite like the place, and most of the people. I don't usually rant like this

Hope this answers your question.
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to fnordianslip For This Useful Post:
Posts: 250 | Thanked: 122 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Colorado
Originally Posted by atilla View Post
its ok if you dont like nokia phones.i dont like mny things too but what are you doing here at maemo.org????
pls explain me that cause i dont understand why you register at a forum like maemo if you hate any nokia device.and why you bought the n900??if i hate somethink then i dont buy it......
really confused.......
I don't think you understood him. He said he doesn't much care for Nokia phones and devices outside of the N900 and it's predecessors and this forum is for the tablet devices such as the N770, N8x0 and now the N900 (yes, it's a tablet first and a phone second). I know exactly what he was saying.

Anyway, my take on all this:

I have not bought an N900 yet (money...T~T) but I want one so bad. Still have my N810 and once I have my N900, I'll have two NIT to play around with. I would love to see Easy Debian running on the N900. Awesome! *-*

Qole, good job on it, many thanks.

Jesse~

The Following User Says Thank You to jperez2009 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 60 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Europe
Originally Posted by crown77 View Post
[complained about ppl saying "you bought the wrong device, it's not a phone"]

And Threads like this are makeing me sad why People are so blind and still playing with debian on a small screen ..did you really bought the N900 for this.. did you never used it as a Phone?
You mean, _we_ (ppl who like to have a linux on their device) bought the wrong device?

I don't say it's not a phone. It is. It's also a Computer, just like a modern router (for home usage) is a switch and a modem and other things.

But why the stab? People are not blind, but have other opinions than you and are more or less satisfied!

Last edited by gobuki; 2010-07-02 at 16:23.

The Following User Says Thank You to gobuki For This Useful Post:
Posts: 267 | Thanked: 408 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Austria
Originally Posted by jperez2009 View Post
I have not bought an N900 yet (money...T~T) but I want one so bad.
Might want to check eBay and the like - thanks to Nokia's osbourning tactics, people are trying to get rid of their N900 like crazy right now.

The Following User Says Thank You to Nathraiben For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
And while there wasn't any information on the N900's support from Nokia (I do agree Nokia has been a ****** about supporting the black sheep of the family) you could've probably figured it out how well Nokia supported the previous versions of the internet tablets.
This seems true from the viewpoint you present it, but actually I couldn't ask for more support.

I mean, what kind of support do you want?
I haven't seen any other product where I could communicate directly with its original developers.

Quim and several other developers are active on this forum, and you can also reach plenty of them on IRC, too.
This means I can always go there and ask special questions in realtime - directly from the people who participated in developing the N900.

If I have a question about Qt or its development environment - the very people who develop it for a living are there on IRC and are proud of helping us whenever they can.

What other company allows you to do this?

Last edited by Venemo; 2010-07-02 at 16:44.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 250 | Thanked: 122 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Colorado
Originally Posted by Nathraiben View Post
Might want to check eBay and the like - thanks to Nokia's osbourning tactics, people are trying to get rid of their N900 like crazy right now.
Good idea. Now...to come up with the money...lol

Apparently, food and a house is more important than an N900, but how can that be? My perception of reality has become so twisted.

Jesse~

The Following User Says Thank You to jperez2009 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 267 | Thanked: 408 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Austria
Originally Posted by jperez2009 View Post
Good idea. Now...to come up with the money...lol

Apparently, food and a house is more important than an N900, but how can that be? My perception of reality has become so twisted.

Jesse~
I can understand the need for a house (we need a place to keep our N900 dry and save, after all), but food is most definitely overrated. Or am I the only one who forgets their meals while playing with that little darling?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nathraiben For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
This seems true from the viewpoint you present it, but actually I couldn't ask for more support.

I mean, what kind of support do you want?
I haven't seen any other product where I could communicate directly with its original developers.

Quim and several other developers are active on this forum, and you can also reach plenty of them on IRC, too.
This means I can always go there and ask special questions in realtime - directly from the people who participated in developing the N900.

If I have a question about Qt or its development environment - the very people who develop it for a living are there on IRC and are proud of helping us whenever they can.

What other company allows you to do this?
It's more the closed parts of the operating system that are often where the worst bugs are. The only way to get them fixed is through Nokia. Otherwise known as the "Fixed in Fremantle" or now known as "Fixed in Harmattan".

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Posts: 61 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Dallas, Texas
I agree with the OP, the n900 is a great device, and a great phone despite what some people say. A phone is a device that able to make calls over the phone network, and the n900 does this well, with good voice quality and great cell reception. The fact that it can't assign ringtones to individual callers is just a minor feature and does not take away from it being a phone.

I will likely use my n900 as a phone, internet device, and pda for years to come. I don't have to have the latest device, so long as the one I have does what I want.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Taleydra For This Useful Post:
Posts: 149 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by mishmich View Post
ran under the LXDE - albeit very
*lol* if it is slow, than it can be called crap or a study. Nothing is more awful than if a mobile device feels slow.

Tags
crown77 be, quiet and learn