Posts: 134 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ New Jersey
Originally Posted by gazza_d View Post
I'm not sure why people are suddenly so keen to crack this as to be fair, the bundled maps do work as they have always done, so I don't feel that the wider maemo community have been screwed over or dumped royally as some people here suggest.
I agree, and because I've never used Wayfinder, I have to ask: "What is it about Wayfinder that I want?" Can anyone tell me?

I got my N810 on eBay just over a month ago and once I got over the fact that a first fix takes a while, I've found the GPS to be great, including using maps from OpenStreet, Yahoo and Google. Why do I need Wayfinder?
MP3: Insignia NS-DV4G or IT/Canola

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by DistantFire View Post
I agree, and because I've never used Wayfinder, I have to ask: "What is it about Wayfinder that I want?" Can anyone tell me?

I got my N810 on eBay just over a month ago and once I got over the fact that a first fix takes a while, I've found the GPS to be great, including using maps from OpenStreet, Yahoo and Google. Why do I need Wayfinder?
We're talking about a turn-by-turn navigation application, lad. Not just maps.

Also... dead-dead-dead-dead-dead-dead-my condolences on your recent purchase-dead-dead-dead-go home now!

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Originally Posted by DistantFire View Post

We have a Garmin dedicated satnav in the house (6 months old), and 3 phones with Ovi maps satnav. And I have a wayfinder licence on my N810, and I like it the best of any of them. Always have. It was a good product, and a real shame that it became a bit of a ginger stepchild to Wayfinder after they bought Navicore.

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

The Following User Says Thank You to gazza_d For This Useful Post:
Hey, Vodafone just open-sourced wayfinder: OSS-wayfinder.
Anyone already checked the git repo?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Nikem For This Useful Post:
Posts: 232 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Idaho
DAngit, Nikem beat me to it by TWO MINUTES!
the link is even on my clipboard
http://thenextweb.com/apps/2010/07/1...-it-away-free/
Looking at the wiki page for it, (and this stuff is way over my head), it appears to create a server (for what i dont know yet...) But no where is maemo (or nokia) even mentioned when they talk abotu client devices. Well, they do talk about Symbian S60... And Android and iPhone. No Maemo.

Update:
Quote "Searching and routing clients for mobile phones capable of running native applications, for instance S60, iPhone and Windows mobile (yet to be decided exactly what will be released as Open Source). The core functionality of the clients, like server communications, map renderer, navigation etc are shared between the different platforms in two libraries called Nav2Lib and MapLib, together “Core v.2”. Unfortunately the Nav2 library is pretty old and a new library called “Core v.3” has been designed and the implementation has started but is not finished. MapLib, the map renderer, available for both vector and bitmap based map systems, is in very good shape and an OpenGL ES version is also available. "
http://youtube.com/mgamerz

Last edited by Mgamerz; 2010-07-15 at 17:31.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mgamerz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Nikem View Post
Hey, Vodafone just open-sourced wayfinder: OSS-wayfinder.
Anyone already checked the git repo?
Well! This certainly changes my opinion on Wayfinder. I'm pleasantly surprised--but I feel like I need to be suspicious about how much or what they're releasing. At least they pointed out using a BSD license. That's excellent news!

Originally Posted by Mgamerz View Post
DAngit, Nikem beat me to it by TWO MINUTES!
the link is even on my clipboard
http://thenextweb.com/apps/2010/07/1...-it-away-free/
Looking at the wiki page for it, (and this stuff is way over my head), it appears to create a server (for what i dont know yet...) But no where is maemo (or nokia) even mentioned when they talk abotu client devices. Well, they do talk about Symbian S60... And Android and iPhone. No Maemo.

Update:
Quote "Searching and routing clients for mobile phones capable of running native applications, for instance S60, iPhone and Windows mobile (yet to be decided exactly what will be released as Open Source). The core functionality of the clients, like server communications, map renderer, navigation etc are shared between the different platforms in two libraries called Nav2Lib and MapLib, together “Core v.2”. Unfortunately the Nav2 library is pretty old and a new library called “Core v.3” has been designed and the implementation has started but is not finished. MapLib, the map renderer, available for both vector and bitmap based map systems, is in very good shape and an OpenGL ES version is also available. "
On the face of it, that's bad news--but at least the most important libraries are opened and might help with at least a CORE vector-based mapping system that could work everywhere. We'll see.

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Wow, this is really surprising and very good and welcome news.

Gonna take some work I don't doubt. I would guess that the C++ client would be the one for maemo.

Don't forget though that the Maemo map application was orginally Navicore, and so different to the clients on mobile phones, which is why it may not be there yet. I have said elsewhere that the Map app on the tablets was and is a really good satnav app.

If we can get the code, and use openstreetmap perhaps as the map base, then that would be great.

Also promising for N900 owners who were left in the cold with regard to navigation.

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
I would guess that the C++ client would be the one for maemo.
It's Java, or at least it seems so from the debug messages.

Don't forget though that the Maemo map application was orginally Navicore, and so different to the clients on mobile phones, which is why it may not be there yet.
Exactly. It isn't clear if what they opened can do local routing or is strictly a client/server thing (similar to maemo mapper).

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
If nothing else, the navit devs are looking through it for stuff to use in navit, so indirectly it might benefit maemo mapping options.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 270 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
So.. when can we (I) expect a free way to renew the Navicore license?

http://oss.wayfinder.com/wiki/nav2_u...col#activation speaks of activation, but communicating is done with a Navicore server?

My 3-year navi license expired a few months ago, and I was very satisfied with the whole experience. Now that Navicore turned open, I'm thinking that my N810 would still be very usable in the car if I could still have the (voice) guided navigation.

Does anyone know is the Navicore license server even working?

The Following User Says Thank You to Mandibela For This Useful Post:

Tags
customers?, middlefinger