Originally Posted by shapeshifter View Post
If you care enough, You can now vote for Alarmed in the competition:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=764039

:-)

You set a new "commandline execution", and fill in
Code:
/usr/bin/mplayer "/path/to/file/where/the/music/is"
I definately will show my support, once I can figure this out

So how can I make Alarmed play an internet radio station?

Thanks

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hong Kong, CHINA
Originally Posted by OSiRiSNZ View Post
The same way you make the internet radio station from the command line. Figure that out and then put the command line into an alarmed event.

I tried testing from X-Terminal but can't seem to find mplayer?
Attached Images

Originally Posted by mdengler View Post
The same way you make the internet radio station from the command line. Figure that out and then put the command line into an alarmed event.
Yes. that is what is needed.

This has also been my question for quite a while. I have searched here, on the wiki, and on the web in general. I have also paid attention to several related threads here... and I have not yet seen an example of how to play an internet radio station from the command line. (There may be something somewhere, but I have not found it.)

If someone knows how to do this, I imagine there are several of us who would appreciate seeing an example. Anyone?

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hong Kong, CHINA
Originally Posted by dvergin View Post
I have not yet seen an example of how to play an internet radio station from the command line.
If someone knows how to do this, I imagine there are several of us who would appreciate seeing an example. Anyone?
This isn't the best place to ask - you need experts on the application you're trying to launch. Find their developers' mailing list and ask there. What application is it (that plays internet radio stations)?

I tried testing from X-Terminal but can't seem to find mplayer?
well you have to install it, it doesn't ship with the n900. Maybe there's a way of using the builtin player but I wouldn't know about it. mplayer is in Extras.

And to play a radio station using mplayer, it depends on the file you have for the stream. Usually they give you a playlist. Those often but no always end in .m3u. In that case you need to do:

Code:
mplayer -playlist http://theplacewhereyougottheplaylistfrom/some-channel.m3u
If they directly link to a stream, which is unlikely, you just play it back like normal, without the "playlist" option.
  • "ytcli", a simple but effective command line youtube client which allows you to play videos from the CLI instantly or download videos on a queue.

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
I've enabled extras-devel repository but it's asking me to download 17mb of dependencies!

Is that right?

Originally Posted by johnel View Post
I've enabled extras-devel repository but it's asking me to download 17mb of dependencies!

Is that right?
Alarmed itself is just a few dozens of Kb but if you don't have any of it's dependencies installed yet - namely python and pyside, that might be correct. If you want to see exactly what is going on, run it from the command line:

Code:
apt-get install alarmed
  • "ytcli", a simple but effective command line youtube client which allows you to play videos from the CLI instantly or download videos on a queue.

anyone come up with any cool ways to make use of this app? have been waiting for the shpehard app forever, is a total shame iv been away camping cuz i so would have voted for alarmed!

Only played with it for a short time now but would it be possable to run an event on week days only? perhaps someone with a bit of knowledge woud share some example scripts? im sure there are loads of example to be found on this site but any ideas on what would work well with alarmed?

Posts: 327 | Thanked: 249 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Λεμεσιανός, ρε!
Originally Posted by Spotfist View Post
anyone come up with any cool ways to make use of this app? have been waiting for the shpehard app forever, is a total shame iv been away camping cuz i so would have voted for alarmed!

Only played with it for a short time now but would it be possable to run an event on week days only? perhaps someone with a bit of knowledge woud share some example scripts? im sure there are loads of example to be found on this site but any ideas on what would work well with alarmed?
I have Alarmed switch the profile to a quieter one every weekday before work and lower the master volume to about 10%. Then at the time I usually leave work I have it revert everything back to normal.

The Following User Says Thank You to skalogre For This Useful Post: