Active Topics

It's worth checking out the Daily Pluck for this. It's a python script that downloads rss feeds using Plucker, then packs them into a palm database format suitable for use with FBReader.

You can run it on the IT directly, or on a desktop machine and copy the .pdb file over to the Nokia (either way, you'll need to install Python on the machine it runs on).

It may take a bit of work setting up, and you'll need some way to run the script (either with xterm or some way to run it from the home screen or menus).

Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
Originally Posted by nosam View Post
Can you recommend any good RSS feeds? Any one else can recommend? I am less into news. Tech or anything interesting would be good. I will try engadget. ty.
{I will try Claws-mail too.)
There are millions (maybe more!) of feeds.. Having said that Ars Techica, Wired Techology, and Techdirt are some of my favorite. If others can propose some of their favorite to try would be cool.

And Claws is my most used app in the N800!

Posts: 109 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Caribbean
Originally Posted by timsamoff View Post
Install Claws-Mail and the RSSyl plugin. Then set the RSSyl directory to sync to your IT.

(Honestly, I've never tried this, but it should work.)

-T.
I would honestly like you to try this. And then maybe you can spell it out for me how to install the RSSyl plugin.
The Claws Plug-in page you linked to states that "libcurl" and "libxml2" are required. And then there are links........
Click on those links and someone please explain how to install these items.

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
I would honestly like you to try this. And then maybe you can spell it out for me how to install the RSSyl plugin.
I'll try as soon as I can... Busy, busy.

If you install the Claws repository, it will contain the main Claws-Mail app, as well as (currently) five plugins. After you install the plugin(s) of choice, you must load them into Claws via the Configuration>Plugins menu.

-T.

Posts: 109 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Caribbean
Originally Posted by timsamoff View Post

After you install the plugin(s) of choice, you must load them into Claws via the Configuration>Plugins menu.

-T.
Bingo! It's there.
My tunnel vision strikes again.
I've had Claws for some time now (and the HTML plug-in.) Application Manager said I also had RSSyl (but nothing was showing in Claws itself.)
Recently I've become dis-satisfied with the stock N800 RSS reader and tonight I was searching for an alternative. I figured I was missing an ingredient for RSSyl, so started down that road.
Thank you very much for the prompt reply....you've saved my weekend!

Posts: 133 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ SF, CA
RSS Reader is working great. I am still looking for good RSS feeds that have more content in the actual feed.

Can people recommend any RSS that they like? PLEASE Please Please!

Originally Posted by Saturn View Post
There are millions (maybe more!) of feeds.. Having said that Ars Techica, Wired Techology, and Techdirt are some of my favorite. If others can propose some of their favorite to try would be cool.
This was so helpful. : ) Techdirt and Ars were very good.
I spent 3 hours looking for blogs and feeds yesterday in google and top RSS sites and couldn’t really find any good ones (other than the top 10).

Also, my solution to the offline issue:
I clicked on the stories I was interested in in the RSS feeds, so they opened in Opera. I did this in the hotspot on the way to the train, and the went into offline mode and read them on the train. Not sure how this will work, but if opera doesn’t crash, I can read the web pages offline.

Last question: Any way to make the font bigger in RSS (or globally on my 770)? Its too small to read for me. Plus I hate that tiny scroll bar – hard to use with a finger. But bigger fonts?
ty

Last edited by nosam; 2007-09-25 at 18:19.

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Italy
Originally Posted by kenny View Post
Bingo! It's there.
My tunnel vision strikes again.
I've had Claws for some time now (and the HTML plug-in.) Application Manager said I also had RSSyl (but nothing was showing in Claws itself.)
Recently I've become dis-satisfied with the stock N800 RSS reader and tonight I was searching for an alternative. I figured I was missing an ingredient for RSSyl, so started down that road.
Thank you very much for the prompt reply....you've saved my weekend!
Ok, now save mine... :|

I tried loading the RSSyl plugin (which appears to be installed on my system in app manager) but going through Configure / Plugin just shows me the gtkhtml2_viewer.so - the path on top of the window is /usr/lib/claws-mail/plugins. I browsed that folder and it appears that it really contains only that file (ls -a shows just that, other than "." and "..")

Oh, and just before I ask it as soon as I successfully installed the plugin... Is there any way to export my Google reader (or through readermini.com) feeds and import them into claws mail? Does it support OPML import as google reader does?

Originally Posted by maxilogan View Post
Ok, now save mine... :|

I tried loading the RSSyl plugin (which appears to be installed on my system in app manager) but going through Configure / Plugin just shows me the gtkhtml2_viewer.so - the path on top of the window is /usr/lib/claws-mail/plugins. I browsed that folder and it appears that it really contains only that file (ls -a shows just that, other than "." and "..")
Ok, uninstalled and reinstalled the plugin -> it did the trick

Originally Posted by maxilogan View Post
Oh, and just before I ask it as soon as I successfully installed the plugin... Is there any way to export my Google reader (or through readermini.com) feeds and import them into claws mail? Does it support OPML import as google reader does?
Now, I just have to figure out if I need to set all my feeds manually (for the n-th time... First Bloglines, then stock RSS reader once got the N800 then Google reader once I found the stock reader s###s, and now... )

Posts: 48 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Germany
Hi there,

I know this thread was almost done, but: I didn't like my Claws mail experience for rss-feeds.

And I found a great app that allows you to download the complete HTML-pages of rss-feeds for offline browsing/reading.

It's called Feedelity and is available via

Tahitibob's Website

Just install the *.deb, add a feed, update, press "download" and got to "offline" in Feedelity. Now, when clicking "view" for a news item, the web-browser launches with Feedelity's cached version of the Website instead of the "live" URL.

Have fun!

Franko30

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Franko30 For This Useful Post:
I'll try it out, even if this means I have to set up all of my rss feeds again. Is there any setting to allow the channels to be saved on one of the cards? And, furthermore, will this work under OS2008?