Active Topics

my thoughts...

sexy end devices. the volume mover is in the consumer space and these people dont care what os is on the phone. if the entire experience of using and owning a meego device is sexy, people will buy. buying a device is a statment about yourself. are you cool? are you hip? are you popular? are you rich? are you the only guy in town with the coolest phone?

it's when you whip the device out and don't feel shy about showing it off.

then you have the geeks who know what they want but there aren't enough of such buyers to make a difference. a lot of iphone users used to be feature phone users and the iphone was/is their first smartphone device. a geek would find the iphone fascinating for about 15 minutes as an end user ...unless u offer him/her a green xterm session.

just my 2 cents...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to droll For This Useful Post:
btw, how does nokia or intel make money out of meego if it is open sourced with no licensing fee? i dont get that operating model.

is ovi the only repository for meego apps to make money? and if so, how would nokia or intel lock this? somehow it doesn't sound correct...

Devices with MeeGo would be a start ye. Would be cool if Intel would release like a 'Nexus One'-like phone to promote MeeGo and even their Moorestown hardware.

An AAVA mobile for example running MeeGo with an Intel stamp on it could sell well imo. And ofc you have the N9 series from Nokia as wel (with hopefully better marketing than the N900). Those 2 could give MeeGo a nice start.

Last edited by Gundogan; 2010-08-10 at 15:36.

Originally Posted by droll View Post
btw, how does nokia or intel make money out of meego if it is open sourced with no licensing fee? i dont get that operating model.
Intel and Nokia are both notoriously known for their hardware... their software/os.. not so much.

So Intel and Nokia are not going to get money directly from MeeGo.. what they'll get money from is releasing hardware that is running MeeGo. Now, motorola, samsung, whatever could decide one day to give a MeeGo device a try and go grab MeeGo, make some drivers for it, and put it on a phone and Intel and Nokia won't see a dime from that.

From Intel and Nokia's perspective.. they have a hand in MeeGo so they can make some decisions regarding how it's managed (something they couldn't do if they went the Android Route).. and with making it truly open they have the possibility of dipping into thousands of experiences Linux dev's beyond their own small pool.

Somewhat like Dell selling computers with Ubuntu on it... Dell doesn't get any money from Ubuntu - and Ubuntu didn't get any money from Dell - but Dell got its money from it's hardware, and Ubuntu gets free advertising and broader user base (because it was cheaper when they (customers) bought it than the windows counterpart). The only difference in this case, would be that Nokia and Intel have direct say in MeeGo, Dell doesn't have the same for Ubuntu.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Last edited by fatalsaint; 2010-08-10 at 15:35.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
As much as I hate to admit this is not realistic. Even if embedded industry practices regarding drivers changed overnight, the breakneck pace of mobile development makes this unfeasible. Ten years ago we were playing Counterstrike on Pentium 4s in 1024x768. Now we have Core i3/5/7s, HD and Modern Warfare or Starcraft 2 - significantly stronger, but not OMG differences. Do you know what mobile gaming meant 10 years ago ? Snake II, on a 96x64 green mono display.

So in mobile space you have almost dog years and it overperforms Moore's law by a long shot. Imagine if Microsoft did a major windows version EVERY year and you had processor power doubling in less than 12 months. That makes cross-platform HW compatibility and support a nightmare.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Perhaps not realistic right now but as you said, the pace of development is frantic.
Give it two years or so and I think the Chinese will force the hand of the major western players.

If you upgrade the hardware and storage on something like this and add 3G capability it would sell volumes. It already is selling volumes and it is just an open tablet that needs memory cards for storage.
(If link is parsed, google SmartQ V7 linux, android, winCE)

http://mp4nation.net/catalog/index.p...3dc0777e30279e

I have owned a no-brand chinese windows mobile device with GPS and TV tuner before and it was fairly impressive, especially for $200AUD.
This was more than 2 years ago and the west is only just coming close to catching up.
Once you take the headache of a badly translated custom OS out of the equation you are just dealing with hardware + platform.

Exciting times.

One of the main reasons I bought an N900 was the number of different operating environments in the works.

Posts: 117 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ San Diego
Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
How do we know Nokia's support will be any better than Htc's or Motorola's.
If they want it to be SUCCESSFUL, it has to be. They have to show that there is a reason to switch to Nokia. Otherwise, they're just maintaining the status quo and people will be given no more reason to switch.

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
Originally Posted by nseika View Post
Allowing the users to switch from one OS to another means releasing the obsolescence control to users and the OS makers.
Making peoples jumps ship easily doesn't sound feasible on their side.
That is exactly why users should refuse to buy into schemes that lock them in. Spend your money supporting those who give you most choice. Root for the underdog to prevent monopolies.

Originally Posted by Russianhaxor View Post
If they want it to be SUCCESSFUL, it has to be. They have to show that there is a reason to switch to Nokia. Otherwise, they're just maintaining the status quo and people will be given no more reason to switch.
Knowing Nokia's track record it will be worse than HTC, Motorola, or Samsung.

The Following User Says Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Posts: 30 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Jakarta, Indonesia
Originally Posted by Sopwith View Post
That is exactly why users should refuse to buy into schemes that lock them in. Spend your money supporting those who give you most choice. Root for the underdog to prevent monopolies.
Problem is, there’s also the now-and-here requirement.

Take example, I want to buy PC and want to use Photoshop, but I don’t want to use Windows. Yes, there’s Gimp and other alternative, but assume nobody write the software yet. Does that means I had to bear for years waiting for someone to think it worth the trouble writing that image editor. Imagine if the need is professional.

For now, the new platform need to have the value too. They can’t just play underdog, or give promise. Well, Google can, but they have big name and good record on delivering recently so they’re a better bet. If Nokia and Intel want to give MeeGo a better traction, they better get try to get more (vocal and influential) geek credit than stockholder credit.

PS: since one of the value is about applications, what if they conduct a survey to see which applications users needed from other platform, then aggresively help those software authors to port their code (rather than merely asking them, which they might not bother the unfeasible touble) and help maintaining it.
Yes, that will be enormous cost to gamble.

Last edited by nseika; 2010-08-11 at 04:43.

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 233 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ São Paulo, SP, Brasil
Developers are not only driven by materialistic 'carrot objectives'. They are also stimulated by the availability of good development tools. Qt is bringing that too, and not just the ability to work cross-platform. Developing for Symbian and Maemo wasn't great, and that was one poin iPhone and Android were ahead.

On the other hand, iOS and Android are too restrictive, while Maemo and MeeGo are hacker friendly. People shouldn't consider Android a 'Linux based system'...

I feel too little people here have tried MeeGo already! Please dowloaad and test the pendrive live image ! You boot it and you are tweeting in seconds. It comes with media player and all. Lots of 'apps' that any other linux distro has.

MeeGo can become the great distro for ARM machines and specific netbooks...

One thing is not clear to me is how much Ovi store and other Nokia stuff will be available for MeeGo devices in general. But it's a good thing they are starting with the open part, and not making like Google, letting people wanting to have more than the 'public' part of Android actually is.

Last edited by nwerneck; 2010-08-11 at 04:56.

The Following User Says Thank You to nwerneck For This Useful Post: