Active Topics

Notices

yes, .vob file needs more resources. I tried playing with command line cvlc with following options and it give acceptable performance with .vob,

cvlc --ffmpeg-hurry-up --ffmpeg-skip-frame=1 --ffmpeg-skip-idct=1 <video_file.vob>

I am planning to overclock my device to 850Mhz. Will update performance with that.

Originally Posted by zimon View Post
The bug should be fixed and new version exported to the repository.
I do not think VLC is meant to be a program which needs hacking on the terminal window.
zimon, what repository is the new version in? i can't find any updated version in this

Originally Posted by HellFlyer View Post

URL: http://download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/maemo/
Distribution: fremantle
Components: free

yes, .vob playback needs more resources and running it on mobile device is too much. while playing with command line cvlc, few options give acceptable performance.

cvlc --ffmpeg-hurry-up --ffmpeg-skip-frame=1 --ffmpeg-skip-idct=1 <video_file.VOB> (http://wiki.videolan.org/VLC_command-line_help)

I am planning to overclock my device to 850Mhz. Will update this forum for same video playback speed.

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Seems an awful lot of work to get a resource hungry app to work on a two year old portable chipset. Not to mention needs OC to play decent and that means short battery life.

None the less, your tenacity is to be commended

That said and based on the original date of the first post, this app has been coming for almost a year now.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rushmore For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Jack6428 View Post
Actually I disagree. I think the N900 is fast enough, VLC just isn't finished, not finished at all. Plus the .vod format you were playing is nothing really common, especially not on mobile phones.
Absolutely agree with you. Have any of you tried NITDroid and RockPlayer? NITDroid is not yet optimised - but yet this is playing much better than the native VLC agent really..

Yesterday I upgraded to power kernel (settings) and over clocked device to 250-850Mhz (ideal profile crashed couple of time). Vlc player failed to play same .vob smoothly. Command line cvlc could play it better with single option --ffmpeg-hurry-up .
It seems --ffmpeg-hurry-up is suppose to be default enabled in VLC player (as per http://wiki.videolan.org/VLC_command-line_help) but installed vlc player dosn't have it as a default enabled.

Enabling --ffmpeg-hurry-up enabled in VLC can improve speed,

[ from http://wiki.videolan.org/VLC_command-line_help

--ffmpeg-hurry-up, --no-ffmpeg-hurry-up
Hurry up (default enabled)
The decoder can partially decode or skip frame(s) when there is not
enough time. It's useful with low CPU power but it can produce
distorted pictures. (default enabled)
]

Originally Posted by LippiVan View Post
zimon, what repository is the new version in? i can't find any updated version in this
There isn't yet. I _think_ they would need to make one.
Also same time please fix the --ffmpeg-hurry-up as default issue (see above) also.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by bchliu View Post
...Have any of you tried NITDroid and RockPlayer?...
Yes. Nitdroid/RockPlayer is stunning. It plays anything I throw to it and it plays it good.

bun

Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
Yes. Nitdroid/RockPlayer is stunning. It plays anything I throw to it and it plays it good.

bun
Can either of you confirm how this works? Do you need the android port to run rockplayer?

If so, can you run Nitdroid and maemo?

Cheers!

Originally Posted by Tripledrop View Post
Can either of you confirm how this works? Do you need the android port to run rockplayer?

If so, can you run Nitdroid and maemo?

Cheers!
yes you need nitdroid to run rockplayer..

N9 64gb black

Tags
fact from fiction, imagination, multimediatard