Active Topics

Originally Posted by gazza_d View Post

One other thign about the email. have you installed the modst fixes kicking around in these forums, that improved my email performance no end.
hi gazza, going off in a tangent here, what fixes are you talking about? Anything that can improve my email performance would be cool I did a search but couldn;t find anything on modst. Do you remember the threads you are talking about?

Cheers!

Originally Posted by acvetkov View Post
Not normal the part of the phone getting warmer. While on road signal going from 3.5g to 2g no connection like every 10 minutes and I haven`t witnessed the battery getting worm.
You are not talking about the same thing. Going in and out is not the same as being close to out all the time. When the coverage is low, the phone works overtime to reach the cells.

Originally Posted by yorg View Post
You are not talking about the same thing. Going in and out is not the same as being close to out all the time. When the coverage is low, the phone works overtime to reach the cells.
Yes, you are correct, didn`t look it at that angle

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ West London, UK
You hadn't by any chance recently loaded a pile of new music/video onto the phone had you? This happened to me the other morning, and the culprit was tracker-indexer that had kicked in and was vociferously chomping through everything to extract metadata. A few gigabytes of stuff later and my battery had plummetted by over 50% in less than an hour.

I think it does a periodic refresh too, so you may have been caught by one of those. It's normal, but resource-hungry.

Posts: 604 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Phoenix, WA
Originally Posted by shiny View Post
You hadn't by any chance recently loaded a pile of new music/video onto the phone had you? This happened to me the other morning, and the culprit was tracker-indexer that had kicked in and was vociferously chomping through everything to extract metadata. A few gigabytes of stuff later and my battery had plummetted by over 50% in less than an hour.

I think it does a periodic refresh too, so you may have been caught by one of those. It's normal, but resource-hungry.
Now that I think about it, I may have loaded a few hundred songs on there that morning, or maybe the morning before... hmmm...

Anyways, I suspect it was because something was pushing up against my phone in the locker, and the screen wasn't locked... maybe...

EDIT: Or very low 3g coverage.

I've had a couple of times battery draining problem with PR1.3. Battery Eye shows that CPU use has gone high right when I unplugged the charger. When I look at Conky it shows that modest is taking all the CPU it can get.

Reboot helps, but I'v experienced this at least 3-4 times with PR1.3 already! What could help?

Posts: 271 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on May 2006 @ Aperture Science, Inc.
Predicting the battery consumption when you are changing your location is very hard to do. Two examples:

This weekend, I spent 1.5 hours waiting in a building. I had 3G enabled and was using firefox to surf. Reception was pretty bad, so the phone was pumping at full force to keep the connection. The battery basically melt and went from 92% to 30% in 1.5 hours. The N900 became noticably warm. Mind you, I wasn't stressing the cpu, just the radio.

Another example. I have Alarmed set up so my phone goes offline at night. If I don't have any background-active applications running, it takes about 3-4 hours to reduce the battery by 1%. If I just left the phone like this, it would take more than 11 days (!) to deplete the battery. Not switched off, but fully running.

Battery usage depends heavily on your usage patterns and on signal reception.