Active Topics

I've searched the the forums, and while I've foudn several comments indicating problems with Joikuspot and the power kernel, but no solutions. Has anyone got the power kernel and Joikuspot working?

On mine it will establish the connections as if everything is ok, but there is nothing getting out or in (pings indicate this). Thanks for ANY help!

2d

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Brighton, UK
I know this isn't a direct answer to your question but, I use Mobile HotSpot with the power kernel and this works really well. Never used Joikuspot so I don't know what you'd be missing but Mobile HotSpot let's me create a network that others can connect to over Wifi.

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by 2disbetter View Post
I've searched the the forums, and while I've foudn several comments indicating problems with Joikuspot and the power kernel, but no solutions. Has anyone got the power kernel and Joikuspot working?

On mine it will establish the connections as if everything is ok, but there is nothing getting out or in (pings indicate this). Thanks for ANY help!

2d
Run the following in xterminal when this happen:

Code:
echo rmmod JoikuSpot_Bouncer | sudo gainroot
echo modprobe JoikuSpot_Bouncer | sudo gainroot

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 9000 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by 9000 View Post
Run the following in xterminal when this happen:

Code:
echo rmmod JoikuSpot_Bouncer | sudo gainroot
echo modprobe JoikuSpot_Bouncer | sudo gainroot
Edit: I have hotspot installed as well. It work essentially the same way. When it decides to work it appears that it is only in a aesthic fashion, but does not actually allow traffic through.

9000, Thanks man! I was just reading your Bluetooth tethering how to as well as a work around to this problem. I prefer Bluetooth anyway, I'm usually not trying to share the connection with more than one person (myself).

I can't test this now, but will on my lunch break.

As a curiosity, is this a one time fix, or does this just correct the issue at the time?

2d

Last edited by 2disbetter; 2010-09-30 at 08:56.

Originally Posted by 2disbetter View Post
Edit: I have hotspot installed as well. It work essentially the same way. When it decides to work it appears that it is only in a aesthic fashion, but does not actually allow traffic through.

9000, Thanks man! I was just reading your Bluetooth tethering how to as well as a work around to this problem. I prefer Bluetooth anyway, I'm usually not trying to share the connection with more than one person (myself).

I can't test this now, but will on my lunch break.

As a curiosity, is this a one time fix, or does this just correct the issue at the time?

2d
Actually Bluetooth-PAN is less secure than WiFi in theory, but it took advantage of short range which makes your radio network less exposed to attack. (Unlike wifi-attack, the pan-attacker might be in visual range which you can deal with with a sledgehammer ^^)

About the modules reload thing, you've to do that whenever Joikuspot stop forwarding traffic. Well, officially Joikuspot doesn't comply with power kernel, that's the trade off one needs to suffer for running Joikuspot under power kernel.

Oh btw I've a shell script similar to the one you've seen in Bluetooth-PAN's article which can also create a WIFI hotspot without the need of Joikuspot or Mobile Hotspot. I can show you if you need it.

Originally Posted by 9000 View Post
Oh btw I've a shell script similar to the one you've seen in Bluetooth-PAN's article which can also create a WIFI hotspot without the need of Joikuspot or Mobile Hotspot. I can show you if you need it.

Yes please!

2d

Remember this setup has no DHCP. It can easily be setup to have DHCP actually, but I'd like to saving that bit of battery by running one less process. ^^

Therefore, you've to enter the IP for your client, say: 192.168.0.2/255.255.255.0

Also, edit the YOUR_ESSID and YOUR_PASSWORD with your choices.

Code:
#!/bin/sh
# Original script by Jebba, modified by 9000 @ talk.maemo.org
# Run this script to share your Internet connection.
# Activate your gprs0 (fone data) connection with the GUI

run-standalone.sh dbus-send --system --type=method_call --dest=com.nokia.icd_ui /com/nokia/icd_ui com.nokia.icd_ui.show_conn_dlg boolean:false

set -x

start wlancond

# Load modules
modprobe crc7
modprobe mac80211
modprobe wl12xx
modprobe ipt_MASQUERADE

# flush old rules
iptables -F
iptables -t nat -F

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o gprs0 -j MASQUERADE

# forward IPs
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

ifconfig wlan0 down
iwconfig wlan0 mode ad-hoc
ifconfig wlan0 up
iwconfig wlan0 essid YOUR_ESSID
iwconfig wlan0 key s:YOUR_PASSWORD
iwconfig wlan0 channel 10
ifconfig wlan0 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up

run-standalone.sh dbus-send --type=method_call --dest=org.freedesktop.Notifications /org/freedesktop/Notifications org.freedesktop.Notifications.SystemNoteInfoprint string:'WiFi HotSpot Activated'
Also, I've a script to turn WiFi on/off. I modified the script such that it unload unnecessary modules and process as well, to save battery and hopefully make the system run faster. ^^

Code:
#!/bin/sh
# Description: Turn WiFi on/off
# Original script from http://wiki.maemo.org/Desktop_Command_Execution_Widget_scripts
# Modified by 9000 @ talk.maemo.org on 27/6/2010
#
out=`ifconfig wlan0`
if [ $? -eq "0" ] ; then
if [ `echo "$out" | grep -c RUNNING` -gt "0" ] ; then
run-standalone.sh dbus-send --system --dest=com.nokia.icd /com/nokia/icd_ui com.nokia.icd_ui.disconnect boolean:true
fi
ifconfig wlan0 down
rmmod wl12xx
rmmod mac80211
rmmod crc7
stop wlancond
run-standalone.sh dbus-send --type=method_call --dest=org.freedesktop.Notifications /org/freedesktop/Notifications org.freedesktop.Notifications.SystemNoteInfoprint string:'Wi-Fi Disabled'
exit 2
else
modprobe crc7
modprobe mac80211
modprobe wl12xx
wl1251-cal
stop wlancond
start wlancond
iwconfig wlan0 mode managed
ifconfig wlan0 up
run-standalone.sh dbus-send --system --type=method_call --dest=com.nokia.icd_ui /com/nokia/icd_ui com.nokia.icd_ui.show_conn_dlg boolean:false
run-standalone.sh dbus-send --type=method_call --dest=org.freedesktop.Notifications /org/freedesktop/Notifications org.freedesktop.Notifications.SystemNoteInfoprint string:'Wi-Fi Enabled'
exit 0
fi
Hope this help.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 9000 For This Useful Post:
9000, Thanks for the scripts. I use the wi-fi switcher menu plugin for disabling wifi, so the script isn't necessary, but its nice to have to see the guts of the process.

I agree that not having a DHCP server running would probably save some juice, and also add another (Albiet) weak layer of security, as now the user needs to configure their IP instead of just hoping on. WEP is a joke, but still poses a problem for all but the must nerdy inclined.

Thanks for the responses. Tested the echo commands tonight and the Joiku is now working again.

2d

Unless you install wpa supplicant (which isn't in the repository), WEP is the only security you can get. ^^

Thanks for all the thanks that are given to me. I'm glad that you guys find those scripts useful.