Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
I have to say, I am dead obsessed about the form factor, it is a make or break for me. I looked at several 7" tablets, they can easily hold up in your palm, easily, from the youtube posted. While a 10", unless it is a special breed, it is broader then a palm. I think fits my palm or using 2 hands is a huge difference. For me, 7".

bun

Posts: 116 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ in states for now
congrats to apple, now the industry follows you, you have control of the future, if all the sudden you make a tablet when there are much faster more populated os's you will win, even when it is just a big iphone without multitasking

so let me guess make a turntable and people will be lovin back turntables

gg

A new contender from the old UK home grown company Binatone. The 8" Android tablet was supposed to be their breakthrough in the Indian market but is also starting to make an appearing in the EU.

For those of us in the UK, the Cash&Carry wholesalers Makro have these on sale NOW for £139.99. I know I am very tempted.

Binatone HomeSurf 8 Android Tablet

HomeSurf 8™ Touch Tablet
-8” TFT LCD, 800x600 pixel (SVGA)
- Resistive Touch Screen with Stylus
- 5 Cap-Sens keys
-WiFi b/g
- Android OS
-2GB Storage (expandable via MicroSD)
-Auto rotating screen
-Micro SD Card slot (SD/SDHC)
-Video Playback support MP4, H.264
-Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery
-Video Playback Time 4h
-Stereo Speakers
- Built-in microphone
-3.5 mm Stereo Audio Jack
- Mini USB cable for data transfer
- Charging dock with Speaker

£179.99 / € 229.90 UK and European version

Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
A new contender from the old UK home grown company Binatone. The 8" Android tablet was supposed to be their breakthrough in the Indian market but is also starting to make an appearing in the EU.

For those of us in the UK, the Cash&Carry wholesalers Makro have these on sale NOW for £139.99. I know I am very tempted.

Binatone HomeSurf 8 Android Tablet

HomeSurf 8™ Touch Tablet
-8” TFT LCD, 800x600 pixel (SVGA)
- Resistive Touch Screen with Stylus
- 5 Cap-Sens keys
-WiFi b/g
- Android OS
-2GB Storage (expandable via MicroSD)
-Auto rotating screen
-Micro SD Card slot (SD/SDHC)
-Video Playback support MP4, H.264
-Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery
-Video Playback Time 4h
-Stereo Speakers
- Built-in microphone
-3.5 mm Stereo Audio Jack
- Mini USB cable for data transfer
- Charging dock with Speaker

£179.99 / € 229.90 UK and European version
android os ? key info
bun

well take a hint from the price and "resistive touch" that it won't include multitouch and/or the user experience won't be fluid (cheap resistive requires a firm touch while swiping screens = bad user experience).

btw bun, I know how you're interested in the whole 7" vs 10" tablet form factor I thought I would redirect you to THIS just to illustrate how trimming the bezel off from a 10" can keep it quite small (actually comparable with 7" ones with large bezels which is very common) but give you just enough screen-estate to do those productive tasks (Office, surfing etc) much better (with other benefits like better movie viewing and easier gaming like lets say 2-player online flash games).

Have I persuaded you yet?
Just be on the look out for a thin 10" with trimmed bezel just so you can physically understand the point of my ramble

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
The Archos 70 looks like one of the best WiFi only, low cost tablet. Charbax does a rather mumbly video review, but the features are very nice, as is the price:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK3ovYyh-34

- HDMI out
- USB host (or so Charbax claims)
- 7" @ 800x480
- Stock android 2.1
- No Google Market (may be a 'feature' for some here -- though it can be loaded on)
- Kick stand
- $275 US

If I were looking for a WiFi tablet and wanted no more than 800x480, this likely would be it.

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
The Archos 70 looks like one of the best WiFi only, low cost tablet. Charbax does a rather mumbly video review, but the features are very nice, as is the price:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK3ovYyh-34

- HDMI out
- USB host (or so Charbax claims)
- 7" @ 800x480
- Stock android 2.1
- No Google Market (may be a 'feature' for some here -- though it can be loaded on)
- Kick stand
- $275 US

If I were looking for a WiFi tablet and wanted no more than 800x480, this likely would be it.
Only android 2.1?

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by hidetoshi777 View Post
Only android 2.1?
Yeah, only 2.1, but I hear that it's due for a 2.2 upgrade. Besides, there's always cyanogen.

Dont get too fixated on 2.2, almost all 2.2 now (android tabletwise) running are pretty 'rough'. The only 2.2 kind of running fine is probably the nitdroid. I am a chicken, I am kind of happy my 2.2 is shipping in Nov, hopefully the bugs are slightly iron out by then. Some of the sporadic posts I read are pretty NOT COOL, like "...shipped with 2.1, self updated to 2.2, screen turned half black, got updated driver from manufacturer, screen turned totally black..." Eventually may be a happy ending, but it sounds da ja vu from N900, just a joke, dont shoot.

bun

Sorry for the late reply bun

It appears as though there is very little info on this ATM as many of the sites are just regurgitating the same three lines given to them.

Here are just a few more pieces of key info that I could findx from the web.

Resistive 8" Touchscreen
Android 1.6 OS
ARM 11 667 MHz processor
128 MB RAM
Does not feature 3G

Whilst the specs are not that amazing it is nice to see "well known" company release one of these devices for a budget.

Tags
droid tablet, wits tablet