Active Topics

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
No need to troll, or pick fights; it's not appreciated or wanted here. There are other threads that would better suit that type of interaction.

Please ignore Fatalsaint's post.

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
If you feel that strongly then just delete it. I don't feel there was anything inherently incorrect in my post.

You may have missed my several other threads and posts and discussions with Dan where I've reiterated that I respect him and his intellect. Which is why when I see him, more often lately, spouting immature and inelegant projects as somehow arguments for Android I get a little more frustrated than when I see you're average nobody post that PR1.3 saved their marriage... or killed their baby.

Fighting FUD and Fanboism with more FUD or Fanboism is utterly useless.

ETA:

The N900 has it's benefits. Android also has it's benefits. A sad bastardized scripting environment is certainly not Android strongest feature, just like the phone parts of the N900 aren't it's.

I'm simply being logical. I'm sorry if my presentation and attitude are less than amiable.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Last edited by fatalsaint; 2010-10-27 at 02:12.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Look.... I can appreciate your frustration, but we can all get along here with constructive conversation rather than targeted belittling. Some of us have PhDs in CS, some of us are simply eager enthusiasts, but we all have something to share, and we would all prefer if discussion were kept civil.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Look.... I can appreciate your frustration, but we can all get along here with constructive conversation rather than targeted belittling. Some of us have PhDs in CS, some of us are simply eager enthusiasts, but we all have something to share, and we would all prefer if discussion were kept civil.
Meh. If you say so. I'll back off and go watch a movie with the family. It appears my posting days here are done as this place has gotten to being pointless to even frequent anymore.

I'll maintain my little app in my little corner of the world when it breaks; but beyond that it's just not worth it.

<snip>

I had more to say... but out of respect I'll just leave it at that.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
No need to troll, or pick fights; it's not appreciated or wanted here. There are other threads that would better suit that type of interaction.

Actually, I hate having to disagree with you--but I rather like his points. I don't entirely agree or disagree with him, in all honesty. I know what he means, but I don't entirely agree with the gist of it. He does correctly make the point that it seems to be an immature project (it does look to me like it needs some more baking) but like most Android projects, they bake pretty fast so I'm not too concerned about the criticism--especially after my experiences with Nokia's environment. I would place far more faith in Android doing things with the right priority then playing catch-up than Nokia's ability to even start trying to do most things right to start with.

I digress, however, I really appreciate the criticism and these types of attacks may look personal but I tend to have a good bit of fun with it and it doesn't harm anybody.

Here... this is very appropriate:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5CETMV4nz0
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
@ Dan: I took the post out of context, and I should not have inserted myself into the conversation quite as violently as I did. I suppose I felt the need to be protective -- a trait that's often misguided.

I like criticism, and disagreement is encouraged -- don't ever feel bad for disagreeing with me!

@Fatalsaint: there's no need to leave. Your viewpoints are very valued as are your contributions. My motive was/is to trying to do my part to keep it enjoyable. After all, we're all in this together.

From experience: It's nearly impossible to convince someone to change their perspective, even when articulately reasoned -- it's one of the less-shiny aspects of human psychology, which implies that people are much more emotional than rational in their choices -- frustrating yes, but only until accepted as a permanent facet of the human condition. So use that to your advantage! Influence with compelling application, and take part in conversation with individuals that encourage development rather than flinging fanboisms. You're on the cusp of transcending the mire and staking a place in one of the most prolific industries that humanity has ever known. Don't give in now.

My sincerest apologies for taking your post out of context.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Perhaps this isn't the best time to post this , but here's an example of Qt Quick running on the Tab.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TIgDw1qxbM

I'm just learning about QT quick, but I must say that it's a fantastic idea! By requiring that apps be developed in QML (a javascript based language), it seems that they are quite cross-platform sans compilation. Plus it leverages the VERY robust and complete QT library. Win-win for cross platform developers.

The apps showcased ran quite quickly!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Here's a video that showcases the extreme differences between iPad browser scrolling and Android browser scrolling. In short, Android really, really, really, could use GPU acceleration to aid scrolling!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gkWr9PEpm4

And many may argue that flash is the culprit, but jailbroken iPad scroll just as fast with flash installed; the culprit is clearly the display framework.

It also stands to reason that the CPU is maximized on the Tab when scrolling which would KILL battery life when actively surfing and/or the Tab would get quite warm.

Here's hoping that the gingerbread rumors are true and GPU acceleration leads to far smoother scrolling.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
It looks as if Android is getting paypal support today!

http://androidandme.com/2010/10/news...t-later-today/

This is a nice touch that makes the market more accessible to certain individuals.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
Look, I am sorry if this has been confirmed already but I am not following every post on this thread.

Since I was the one to start the expectation that Samsung was using a PDMI standard adapter on the Tab then it behoves me to update with the information that it probably isn’t.

See this thread and accompanying photos.
http://forum.pocketables.net/showthr...?t=7722&page=2

Personally I feel that this is a bummer as I was hoping that PDMI would become generally accepted and break the monopoly that Apple has on all those groovy docks and stands.

To quote a previous poster on the subject - “Big Fail”.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rebski For This Useful Post:

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy