Poll: Do you think its possible to overclock the N900?!
Poll Options
Do you think its possible to overclock the N900?!

Stopped following this thread about 200 pages ago, but I am back!
Loving power kernel, overclock, and PR1.3. I was struggling with voltages and min freqs though. I settled on an on demand approach with about 5 beecon widgets to dial in what I want at the time.

Was using a lot of 125 to 805 mhz starving as my basic setting with 125 to 1100 ideal as my performance setting. Would revert to starving 125 - 600 for extended life.
That was very jerky, so I tried bumping up voltage for slight improvement and still good battery.

Now trying 500 - 805 starving, 500 - 900 starving and ideal, and 500 - 1100 ideal.
Still seems a bit more stable. Will see what battery is like.

PR1.3 has helped battery quite a bit. FYI, i simply reinstalled power kernel after update with no ill effects. All me kernel config files stuck around or were restored after update.

BUT THE QUESTION IS: All the voltages, min freqs, max freqs, it makes my head spin! Is there a silver bullet overclock solution (well, stock, duh! but what else?) or do I have to rigorously test them all?!?!?

Posts: 176 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Netherlands
im using low voltage 250 - 850.. ive tested allmost everything.. and for me is this setting the most stable and most battery friendly

Right, have had a look at the thread and am not 100% sure on what to do, I recently updated to 1.3 OTA so my custom power kernel is still installed although I cannot overclock with cpufrequi, 6000 is the max. I assume I should uninstall and then reinstall but is it ok to use the autounisntall? it seems to want to download the nokia kernel is this a good idea?

Originally Posted by Spotfist View Post
Right, have had a look at the thread and am not 100% sure on what to do, I recently updated to 1.3 OTA so my custom power kernel is still installed although I cannot overclock with cpufrequi, 6000 is the max. I assume I should uninstall and then reinstall but is it ok to use the autounisntall? it seems to want to download the nokia kernel is this a good idea?
In xterm as root just type (without the quotation marks)
"apt-get install --reinstall kernel-power kernel-power-flasher"

its much easier than uninstalling then reinstalling and will only take a minute or two, then your done

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to matts76 For This Useful Post:
lol I did that anyways much better, reinstalling fmtx faker was much harder hehehe

Any updates from titan?

Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
Originally Posted by matts76 View Post
In xterm as root just type (without the quotation marks)
"apt-get install --reinstall kernel-power kernel-power-flasher"

its much easier than uninstalling then reinstalling and will only take a minute or two, then your done
after doing that and rebooting kernel-config still says "This kernel version 2.6.28-omap1 is not supported" what do i do?

Posts: 197 | Thanked: 101 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Netherlands
I played a bit with titans kernel and included the pr1.3 kernel updates into it.
I installed it on my n900 and it seems to run fine now for an hour or so. (although I quite conservative about the overclock speed: only 750 MHz).

But at least I got the battery module back in :-)

Attached are the 3 packages to isntall it. It is based on titans meamo40 tree. I also included the debian changelog and patches tree for those who like to play with it themselves. And maybe titan can take it too for hist further developments...

Be warned, no guarantees, just for the brave!

The packages are to big to upload here. You can find them at http://marcel.mesa.nl/n900kernel

The website packages seem to be difficult to donwload.

but they are also available on our website: ftp://mesa.nl/pub/n900/kernel

Last edited by mirakels; 2010-11-09 at 19:01.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mirakels For This Useful Post:
I had my N900 OC'd when it was running the PR1.2, I have now upgraded it to the the PR1.3, by flashing the phone and the eMMC using flasher 3.5

The kernel is now the standard one which for the moment is fine, but I need to reset the kernel power settings as it reboots from time to time.

Can some one please give me the details that I need to reset the settings as I'm fairly sure that they are wrong and it is this that is causing the problems

thanks

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
When you flashed the phone (or even if you just do an OTA upgrade) it wipes out both the 'kernel-power' and 'kernel-power settings' packages. Unless both are reinstalled the phone will only load the stock kernel and standard settings. Whatever settings you had before just don't matter, the phone will only run standard settings.

So resetting the power settings is not possible or necessary while running the stock kernel. IOW, that's not the cause of the reboots. Maybe the reflash didn't go quite right, maybe you loaded the wrong firmware, maybe your phone has developed a hardware problem, or maybe some software is causing trouble. But trying to fix it by attempting to change power settings while running the stock kernel will get you nowhere.
Registered Linux user #266531.

Tags
cooking on gas, cortex-a8, faster, first to fry it wins!, hardware, its smoking, n900, need for speed, need for weed, nos, omap, omap3, omap3430, overclock, overclocking, soc, system-on-a-chip, the dogs, this thread got good!, vtec just kicked in y0!, warranty will be void, whooplah, zoom zoom