Posts: 209 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Alexandria,Egypt
can u plz tell me wat programs to use to over clock ???

p.s: i tired to install kernel but couldnt cuz kept saying conflict with some maemo files,n i have swappolube but i dnt feel it did anythn so need a better program

Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
People are saying it is harmless, if you believe them don't come crying when you physicly brick your pricey device

Last edited by TiagoTiago; 2010-11-21 at 00:30.

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
Originally Posted by TiagoTiago View Post
People are saying it is harmless, ir you believe them don't come crying when you physicly brick your pricey device
Has a single person reported bricking their N900 from overclocking?

Posts: 159 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Norway
I've been running my N900 on [250,900] and lv profile for some months, never had a single unwanted reboot. Thinking of knocking it up to 1GHz.
So it seems kinda harmless to OC the N900, atleast to 1GHz, not sure if i'd go any further.
Never tried any other battery profiles though. So lv profile seems stable.

EDIT: tested Ideal profile once, got an instant reboot.

-Futtawuh

------------------------------------------
Alienware M15X
Razer Naga/Lycosa/Charcarias
Win7 - Ubuntu 10.10

Did I help you ? Then thank me ! --->

Last edited by futtawuh; 2010-11-21 at 00:19.

Originally Posted by retsaw View Post
Has a single person reported bricking their N900 from overclocking?
Nop. what we have is a lot of warnings from processors engineering experts, from nokia developers, and from arm designers, that overclock will void the warranty, will reduce considerably the life of the device, and that will corrupt your data without warning.

So is your choice to hear a bunch of anonymous people or a bunch of experts on the field

And at last: it's your choice if you want to enjoy your device today, as i do (with backups)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clasificado For This Useful Post:
Thing is, it's all going to depend on the tolerance of the device. It may turn out that most n900s will OC nicely(with custom voltage profile) and not fry for quite a while, but it probably won't last up to the "10yr@max freq" spec.
We aren't going to know how things quite work until devices start failing from OC.
OC freqs: 0:22,90 125:22,90 250:28,180 500:30,360 550:32,400 600:34,430 700:39,430 750:41,430 805:45,430 850:47,500 900:50,500 950:54,500 1000:58,500 1100:67,520 1150:71,520

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
One of the things I dislike about this site is the huge amount of overclocking propaganda the best and the brightest users and Nokia itself indulged in when it first became popular. Something similar happened when the leaked PR1.2 was released. I don't appreciate it when crowds of fanatical syncophants essentially lie their heads off about something, whether it be technical or political. What's worse, I doubt that they realized they were lying, which makes them dangerous.

It is accurate to say that we don't know the limits of overclocking as far as the N900 goes. It is not accurate to say much more. My impression is that my N900 will be good for years.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by clasificado View Post
Nop. what we have is a lot of warnings from processors engineering experts, from nokia developers, and from arm designers, that overclock will void the warranty, will reduce considerably the life of the device, and that will corrupt your data without warning.

So is your choice to hear a bunch of anonymous people or a bunch of experts on the field

And at last: it's your choice if you want to enjoy your device today, as i do (with backups)
Why do you lie?

Name one "processors engineering expert" that warned agains overclocking N900.

The warning from Nokia engineer Igor Stoppa was about 550MHz and 600MHz frequencies. Not about overclocking.

The arm designers certainly said in no uncertain words that A8 can run at up to 1GHz.

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

Posts: 255 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by RobbieThe1st View Post
Thing is, it's all going to depend on the tolerance of the device. It may turn out that most n900s will OC nicely(with custom voltage profile) and not fry for quite a while, but it probably won't last up to the "10yr@max freq" spec.
Indeed. It's plain common logic that the higher the voltage the shorter the lifetime. Too bad we have no way of calculating exactly how much less lifetime it has.

So far with a little bit of experimenting I'd say going up to 850 with LV profile should be fairly safe and last atleast a few years, though this is obviously a personal opinion on the matter and not tested scientifically. If you happen to be one of the lucky ones whose phone works fine with ULV or ideal profile then it's a good idea to use them instead but on my phone they don't work, it becomes unstable immediately when applying either profile.

I'm pretty sure all CPUs are tested to see what their maximum clock speed is before they flip over with their pins pointing skywards.

If you start up any modern day PC these days and go into the BIOS, chances are there will be some overclocking options built in. My humble AMD 64/3000+ certainly has an overclocking feature that makes it easy for the end user to delve into the black art of overclocking. After all it's a lot cheaper than buying a new CPU and will run quite happily if all the precautions are followed.

The main killer of o/c'ed CPUs is the heat that's generated from the increased voltages. With a PC it's easy to increase the ventilation with extra fans or water cooling. With mobile devices things are much more tightly packed so not much ventilation will be getting to the CPU.

If any "processor engineering experts" do warn against overclocking, it's more than likely to protect the company's profits.