Active Topics

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 537 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ scotland
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
How about really calling it what it really and truly is... anonymity grants people the ability to be that inner jackass that they're scared to openly admit they truly are.

And this forum has had its own influx of jackasses as well as a mass exodus of useful folks.

Here's an image to explain what I mean.
hear hear! lets just do away with all internet anonymity and we'll all go back to being "normal" :/

its a sad day when i can't slip at least one hitchhiker reference in somewhere.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to festivalnut For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
How about really calling it what it really and truly is... anonymity grants people the ability to be that inner jackass that they're scared to openly admit they truly are.

And this forum has had its own influx of jackasses as well as a mass exodus of useful folks.

Here's an image to explain what I mean.
First, I strongly disagree that the "influx of jackasses as well as a mass exodus of useful folks" has anything to do with tag quality, even though I have witnessed (and even contributed to) said sad trend.

Second, it is anonymity that allows me to be normal, free from all the stupid restrictions I follow in society otherwise.

I "shitcock" is the right word to be said, then I am ****ing relieved to be able to ****ing say it.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sopwith For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Sopwith View Post
First, I strongly disagree that the "influx of jackasses as well as a mass exodus of useful folks" has anything to do with tag quality, even though I have witnessed (and even contributed to) said sad trend.

Second, it is anonymity that allows me to be normal, free from all the stupid restrictions I follow in society otherwise.

I "shitcock" is the right word to be said, then I am ****ing relieved to be able to ****ing say it.
Nice leap of faith there; bad assumption. Let me make it clearer.

The tags are representative of the influx of jackasses. The useful people post less. The tags are the indicator. The exodus of useful posters is more true than false.

Simply put. If this were a vintage coal mine, the birds will have flown away, the poisonous gases are mounting, people are oblivious to that and are too ****ing busy paying attention to semantics and other banal observations instead of looking at what is truly happening.

Tags are not the cause. They're the indicator of what's here now.

Savvy?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by festivalnut View Post
i've never tried searching for tags on here ...
so what exactly are the tags good for?
Just because you don't use them and/or don't know how they can be used doesn't mean it that every jackass should be allowed to use them for their own agenda.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Thank you all.
This thread did not disappoint
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kureyon View Post
Just because you don't use them and/or don't know how they can be used doesn't mean it that every jackass should be allowed to use them for their own agenda.
yeah, tags should be reserved for "better" people who have more important things to say! Like you, right? Get off your high horse.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
I thought tags in the posts were a useful way of searching. But obviously this "mature" community has completely sabotaged that by using tags as a way to "comment" on posts. Isn't there any administrator here to clean things up? Just wondering.
Wrong.

Humor tags don't affect your searches one bit, as long as there are also relevant tags as well.

We've already had this debate, anyway. The sourpusses lost.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lardman View Post
Would be nice if everyone could see who set any particular tag on a given thread, perhaps then adding childish tags would not be so popular.
Better still,
an enumerated glossary on each profile showing the tags
each profile has used and in what frequency:

99 BrickFactory
15 cynic
13 cr@p
9 useless
2 @b0rtion

have a sense of humor anyways

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
I've commented about this before deep in another thread. Here's my opinion in TL;DR version:

Shitty and anal tags can be a problem. I've seen plenty of times when they're just indicative of someone self-righteous and oh-so-superior feeling like it's appropriate to voice something mocking/insulting. And as far as I'm concerned it is never good for unproductive dickery to be acceptable, no matter how little harm it does in that instance, because it's accepting a mentality that causes issues both in the real world and on the internet.

However, the degree to which anal tags are a problem varies with the usefulness of the post. There's plenty of times when these tags are mocking and self-supperior, but the OP/thread is really deserving of it, and/or the thread contains nothing useful. In practice, I realize that the above ideal of countering needless dickery doesn't actually gain much of anything by forcing significant tag moderation. The underlying problems (people being dicks when it's not a poignant way to express something, but just for the sake of it or for their amusement; the growing ratio of snide and hostile members to truly helpful ones), still remain.

I would be in favor of non-anonimization of the tags - you still have your nickname to keep you truly anonymous, and your IPs aren't publicly visible anyway. And if that's not enough there's Tor and being able to route your traffic through remote servers, etc. If someone has the skill to find you past that point, you're probably dealing with someone who's not interested in what you tagged a thread with.

But ultimately, I think it's really only an actual problem when threads with useful information get tagged with only uselessness indicating tags. And contrary to what Texrat's comment suggests, that does happen often. Not enough people add useful tags.

But I don't view it as enough of an issue to require admin attention. There's plenty of forum members who can edit the tags themselves (You get that ability after some post amount). Indeed, I've seen it in action on some threads, which I'm guessing wasn't all moderators/admins.

Posts: 422 | Thanked: 320 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Israel
OMG people... Why are you digging too deep into it? They're just tags - how come some of the comments in this thread are longer than 5 lines?

Btw, I was concerned about the amount of funny tags this thread might have when I first read it, but was relieved to see that there is a sufficient amount of them

Tags
call the admins, deep philosophy, humor, metathread, search for me, tag! you're it!, tags are fun, this is a tag!, venting, what are tags?