Posts: 362 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Italy, Lombardia
Originally Posted by Matan View Post
I am afraid you don't understand.

Device mapper is a kernel subsystem that allows creating virtual block devices and mapping them to real devices.

You can for example create a device called /dev/dm9 which is a device of size 4GB starting at 24GB of /dev/mmcblk0. This way, even if you don't have an mmc block device for this partition, you can still use it.

kpartx is a tool that automates this. You point it to a block device, and it creates a dm device for each partition on the device, regardless of partition number limitations of the underlying block device driver.
Yeah I had figured I could use a DM device and with "you can't mount them" I meant "through MMC device"

Unfortunately device mapper add an extra layer of complexity that i prefer to avoid.

kpartx exists compiled for N900 ?

Can I boot from dm device ?
Response is yes, but on Maemo (power kernel) dm device is a external module so I need an initrd or a custom kernel with dm device embedded to boot from a dm device

When I want to boot an alternative os (like Nitdroid, Kubuntu, ...etc), others problems will appear ?

U-Boot can see these partitions (i.e for loading a kernel from mmcblk0p8) ?

Last edited by Fabry; 2010-12-29 at 00:51.

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ USA
kpartx needs more than device mapper lib's, it needs as Matan stated device mapper(driver) a la kernal.
Edit: im using power46
Attached Images

My"Current Project(s)":
[Resurrecting] DON

Last edited by humble; 2010-12-27 at 23:59.

Did you try

modprobe dm-mod

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 355 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ USA
Originally Posted by Matan View Post
Did you try

modprobe dm-mod
that worked

My"Current Project(s)":
[Resurrecting] DON