Active Topics

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by AndyNokia232 View Post
If Nokia are keeping Symbian for low/mid range phones, and are developing Meego for the top of the range smartphones, how come the E7 is being touted as the company's best smartphone ever, is price-tagged at a whopping $600, but will have Symbian 3, the same OS used for mid-range phones like the C6?
OS here or there (plenty of midrange Androids nowadays, too), it's a Communicator with all the office/business/whatever integration, so definitely outgunning models like the C6 by quite a margin both hardware and software-wise.

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 726 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Gravesend, UK
Originally Posted by efekt View Post
Thats quite odd, as I cannot understand why are you so against an operating system which you've never tried. Have you ever had the chance to hold an N8 or a C7 in your hand?
Have you ever held an N97 in your hand? It's actually a very nice phone aesthetically with a nice form factor. But if your easily seduced by a pretty looking phone, that's your business. What a phone looks or feels like don't mean s*** to me in all honesty. The N900 ain't pretty.

Symbian is Symbian. S60v5 (Symbian^1) or Symbian^3. It's all part of the same family and it's still Symbian underneath no matter how they try to dress it up and I ain't going there again.

I bought the 'flagship' device when it first came out for a hell of a lot of money and I can't express how disappointed I was with it, and I was stuck with it for a year. I had problem after problem with it. Irretrievably lost all my contacts and a whole s*** load of other stuff. And don't say that I should have backed my stuff up because that function had stopped working too. How is it 'quite odd' to want to steer clear of a brand that caused so much disappointment? Go back and get dished out a bit more disappointment, yeah? Quite odd? Cheeky **** son of a gun.

edit* Oh Efekt.....your signature is the biggest contradiction I've ever seen. You call me 'quite odd' for steering clear of Symbian forever and your signature says that.

Last edited by JamesBond@ge; 2011-01-20 at 21:25.

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by JamesBond@ge View Post
How is it 'quite odd' to want to steer clear of a brand that caused so much disappointment? Go back and get dished out a bit more disappointment, yeah?
But you bought another device from the same manufacturer, and one that is unlikely to receive any further support from Nokia.

My website

GitHub

Banned | Posts: 726 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Gravesend, UK
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
But you bought another device from the same manufacturer, and one that is unlikely to receive any further support from Nokia.
The N900 was a kind of last chance saloon for me. I've always been a bit of a Nokia fanboy. I quickly realised after signing up for the N97 that I should have waited a couple of months for the N900, and it was an itch I had to scratch.

And I was right. Out of the box, the N900 has EXCEEDED my expectations and is head shoulders above the other thing I bought. As for the lack of support, that doesn't bother me. There is a good....and quite unique community here which you don't get with many other phones.

So my problem isn't Nokia so much. It's Symbian. Urgh, just saying it's name makes my skin crawl lol.

Last edited by JamesBond@ge; 2011-01-20 at 21:39.

Posts: 422 | Thanked: 320 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Israel
I've held and played with almost every Nokia device (even very old ones), this includes the N97. Yea, it was pretty bad, but in time and with the latest firmware updates its pretty usable. Still not as good as the N900...

Anyhows, I urge you to get a hold of an N8 or a C7 for a few minutes - you'll be VERY surprised at the progress Nokia's Symbian has accumulated - its actually pretty snappy, and I know some people who threw away their iPhones for the N8 and they're VERY happy with this decision.

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by JamesBond@ge View Post
The N900 was a kind of last chance saloon for me. I've always been a bit of a Nokia fanboy. I quickly realised after signing up for the N97 that I should have waited a couple of months for the N900, and it was an itch I had to scratch.

And I was right. Out of the box, the N900 has EXCEEDED my expectations and is head shoulders above the other thing I bought. As for the lack of support, that doesn't bother me. There is a good....and quite unique community here which you don't get with many other phones.

So my problem isn't Nokia so much. It's Symbian. Urgh, just saying it's name makes my skin crawl lol.
LOL, looks like it's Android time for you. Then you will know what disappointment is all about

"With the E7-00 coming next month, is anyone jumping ship"

I did jump ship. I've been a communicator fanboy for ages, and when I saw the E7 I did some research on alternatives and found the n900. Best thing I ever did.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
NOT ME! Symbian ship is too old and got too much bugs/glitches and mysteria freeze of death and low battery when making phone call. lol.

Symbian devices never have sufficient RAM.

Posts: 1,348 | Thanked: 1,863 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ fr/35/rennes
There is a thread about users feedback :
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...386#post968386

I have one, but I dont know what to do with it, ovi store does not even provide a free ssh client ... well i'll hack some qt development before trading it for a n950

https://purl.org/rzr/abandonware

Please help to list all maemo existing apps :

https://github.com/abandonware/aband...ment-578143760

https://wiki.maemo.org/Apps#

I am looking for " 4 inch TFT LCD display screen " for Nokia n950 HandSet

http://rzr.online.fr/q/lcd

Also, I need online storage to archive files :

http://db.tt/gn5Qffd6#

https://my.pcloud.com/#page=register...e=g8ikZmcfEJy#

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
*waves from the other ship*

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.