Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
I think android (in general) tries to load recently used apps to memory (ram) so you can quickly switch to them when you want (they don't have to load). From my understanding, eclair (2.1) doesn't handle this very well. I use advanced task killer free on my tablet, it seems to keep everything running smoothly. You can add certain apps to an ignore list (like email) so they will keep running in the background. I think that is why you see your ram decreasing steadily. Froyo (2.2) supposed handles this better, so you don't need a task killer (my galaxy vibrant seems to be doing ok without one).

From what I understand (and I may be wrong) your 255MB is the data portion where the apps are stored. The tablet also uses this area for caching apps and their data. There is a "dalvik-cache", I think this is where android stores a compiled version of the app, so it can load it quicker. This is on that 255MB data partition as well.

So, the more apps you open (and the system will do it automatically), the more space gets used. Add a couple of games, wallpaper packs, etc particularly without an sd card, and it goes quick.

Apps2sd helps by storing the actual app and its' data on your sd card, free up some of the normal storage space. Eventually, you'll probably still run out, but not nearly as soon.

I think that's how it all works. Unfortunately, it seems many manufacturers skimp on the memory alloted for data to save money and make a cheaper device. Luckily on my tablet, I was able to repartition the internal 8gb and make a 1gb partition for apps, data, cache, etc.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
...there is NO difference between maemo and nitdroid. The advantage, you have ongoing newly released apps, games, and routine updates, that we missed fro
Stopped reading, total noob.

You love Android, that is ace. Cool story bro.

However the fact you don't understand what it is that makes n900/maemo so good despite all the crippling flaws you correctly mention heavily implies the N900 and maemo are not for you.

Have a good day.

In other words, Nokia could've ported over their phone stack (oPhono?) and cam driver, and had an Android tablet with the best hardware keyboard?

Hmmm....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nexus7 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
Stopped reading, total noob.

You love Android, that is ace. Cool story bro.

However the fact you don't understand what it is that makes n900/maemo so good despite all the crippling flaws you correctly mention heavily implies the N900 and maemo are not for you.

Have a good day.
Way to miss the point.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nexus7 For This Useful Post:
The irony.

You realize this forum is called "Alternatives", right?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nexus7 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by Nexus7 View Post
In other words, Nokia could've ported over their phone stack (oPhono?) and cam driver, and had an Android tablet with the best hardware keyboard?

Hmmm....
This is exactly what I try to get to.... I do not think there is anything better than n900 today, if the phone and camera work and runs android, only if dictator Nokia allows it to happen .

Loving android or not has nothing to do with this thread. This thread hopefully opens to some of you, that your 'seemingly' end-of-life n900 is having an extension with nitdroid. To me, I dont care whether it is android or webOS or microsoft, sinclair (still remember that thing?) or osborne or TRS80 or CP/M, nokia has left the 'house' (n900), anybody move in is GREATLY WELCOME. THAT IS MY POINT. Thanks for playing

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2011-04-11 at 21:12.

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ venezuela
nitdroid is for stupid users and maemo is for developer users

The Following User Says Thank You to bakry2003 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
I dont have a problem with that. Just give me something to keep me busy with my n900.

BTW, does labelling something stupid makes it stupid? This is new to me and you must be clever though.

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2011-04-12 at 06:21.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
@lemmyslender: I have to admit I am not quite clear what is happening. I have a81e MIDnite tablet. It came with 225 MB "internal storage", at bootup, right after flash, it showed 117 MB, after some essential utility, root, cpu status, rotateD, it became 78 MB, a couple of action games, this "internal storage" may drop down to 21 MB and will refuse to install any more app. Now the killer is the RAM, For some reason, this ram is always around 70 MB, and more apps installed, will also drop this "RAM". I dont know how froyo does RAM with "internal storage", I notice after open a couple of apps, this RAM would drop down to 40 MB, and that is when the tablet goes unstable, crash, freeze, non response. I learned by keep killing running apps and remove apps. I think I may have to flash back to prvious ROM, and do my tweaks. The way I am now using the tablet is a real PITA. If I keep "internal storage" and RAM above 50 MB, it runs and is stable. But I have to keep killing apps and deleting games, this kills the fun of having a dedicated android tablet. I have NONE of these problems with the nitdroid.

bun
im not sure how it works either, i have htc desire with 576mb ram and when its turned on if i kill all the apps and use task killer i still wouldnt have more then 284mb free :S
its using half of the ram all the time
im thinking of rooting my phone to make it faster but going to wait until gingerbread arrives

The Following User Says Thank You to tele For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, nitdroid, pointless appz