Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Wait. How did I miss that he used the same verbiage at an iPhone site about Android!? Ugh. Not cool at all...
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=437972

Posts: 402 | Thanked: 229 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
I'm sure we can both agree posts such as "Your device SUCKS - It can't do XYZ" as their way of saying "Please, how can I do XYZ" - are not helpful either.
agreed

Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
There is very little more frustrating for me, than this conversation:

I love helping people that show the capacity and desire to learn.. I hate doing things for people. I don't suspect I am the only one here like that.
Agree yet again.

Perhaps if the wiki got more exposure or there was some sort of stickied FAQ the amount of duplicated effort could be reduced? Not really sure how affective it would be, just rambling at this point, lol.

The Following User Says Thank You to aspidites For This Useful Post:
I take you guys have heard of this site. Unfortunately the direct link doesn't work here, which may be why it doesn't get used
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

Originally Posted by fnordianslip View Post
I take you guys have heard of this site. Unfortunately the direct link doesn't work here, which may be why it doesn't get used
I do love that site.... the LMGTFY is a little more PC though .
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by aspidites View Post
I wonder if silence would encourage users to be more independent when trying to solve their problems? That seems to be the way qtcentre.org operates. People will reply if they have an answer, and ignore your post if they either don't know the answer or the answer has been answered numerous places already. I personally prefer silence over a "RTFM" reply. IMHO there is less chance of confrontation As the old cliche goes, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."
I tend to see "why won't anyone answer my question?" "bump!" "BUMP AGAIN WHY IS EVERYONE IGNORING ME????"

...when posters are ignored.

I'm not making that up, either. I've seen the bumps come minutes apart.

The nature of this is nothing new anywhere. Frequency and severity, however, indicate something new here...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Once again, I blame all of you for responding to this bait of a thread.

Reel em' in!

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Beijing
Took the liberty of rephrasing the OP for more constructive convos in the future

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...542#post438542

The Following User Says Thank You to freppas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Well, I'm a relative n900b, and my experience is completely different from Mr Box's.

I turned up with zero knowledge of Maemo, linux or the way this community works. And I have been made completely welcome. I was invited to be part of a community conference in Barcelona (and nokia paid! ) and have been taught all sorts of stuff I didn't know.

Never once have I been told to 'RTFM' - though I have been pointed to the wiki a few times (most helpfully, I might add).

There's an old fable by Aesop:

Aesop, the Greek writer of fables, was sitting by the road one day when a friend- ly traveller asked him, 'What sort of people live in Athens?'

Aesop replied, 'Tell me where you come from and what sort of people live there, and I'll tell you what sort of people you'll find in Athens.'

Frowning, the man replied, 'I'm from Argos and there the people are unfriend- ly, mean, deceitful and vicious. They're thieves and murderers, all of them.'

'I'm afraid you'll find the people of Athens much the same,' was Aesop's reply.

Another traveller passed by and asked ‘'What sort of people live in Athens?'

Again Aesop replied, 'Tell me where you come from and what people are like there and I will tell you what the people are like in Athens.'

Smiling, the man answered, 'I come from Argos, and the people there are all friendly, generous and warm- hearted. I love them all.'

At this Aesop answered, 'I'm happy to tell you, my dear friend, that you'll find the people of Athens much the same.'
Can we do better in how we treat people? Certainly. Should we be beating ourselves up? No, because people who bring courtesy are treated with courtesy.

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kryptoniankid17 View Post
ok on to something more interesting. ill be in london next month. you guys know of some good spots to grab a bite?
For steak and frite I recommend Relais de Venise. (It is the ONLY thing on the menu so if you don't like steak don't go, the city branch is bigger)

Other than that it depends on your budget (very much like NY) and where you're staying.

For somewhere that is surprisingly good given it's location is St Pancras Grand in the train station, useful if you're eating outside of normal hours. Not cheap but also not hyper expensive.

Dunno why but I can't seem to get into Private Messages so apologies for the off topic post.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by PeterI View Post
Dunno why but I can't seem to get into Private Messages...
You need to make five posts before private messaging becomes available to you.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:

Tags
fatalsaint is funny, known troll, self-fulfilling prophecy