Notices

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 842 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
Version 0.5

* Package sorting (by name, date or size)
* Option to fetch package dates from repositories (for packages from maemo.org)
* Ability to store and load (a single set of) package selections
* User can blacklist packages
* Possible to set HTTP and HTTPS proxies for apt-get
* Possible to launch info page in web browser for packages from maemo.org
* Fixed: Incorrect behavior in certain error situations
* Fixed: Incorrect behavior of catalogs autoupdate
* Some minor UI bugfixes and tweaks

Package date fetching is an experimental feature, it needs to be enabled from the options menu first. It is only done for packages from maemo.org repositories and only for user/* category packages. The first fetch can be quite slow but the dates are cached for later use and only dates for new packages are fetched next time. Packages that are already installed always have their installation date information with them.

Again, there are so many new features that I'd be surprised if there weren't any bugs...

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to hqh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
So totaly awesome! This gotta win the Programmer Contest.

Originally Posted by AlMehdi View Post
So totaly awesome! This gotta win the Programmer Contest.
It's one of the most usefull apps, for sure.
Shame on Nokia developers BTW...

Awesome! Just removed default app manager from my desktop.
Thanks for addressing both the brainstorm and the bug about app manager.

Enhancements/bugs I've found:
  • Package rate link in drop-down menu> "about"
    Rating packages is a mess, a direct link would help a lot!
  • So far scrolling is a little jumpy, sometimes 2-3 screens on the slightest swipe.
  • It does not make sense to refresh the package list every time.
    Example:
    Going back from "install" to the "main menu" and to "uninstall".
    -the package list gets refreshed twice. Maybe you could add an option to stop re-checking for 5 minutes after the package list has been updated as well as a force re-check button from the drop-down menu.
    -I also noticed that the default app manager can usually enter "uninstall" without delay.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bec For This Useful Post:
Posts: 388 | Thanked: 842 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Bec View Post
  • So far scrolling is a little jumpy, sometimes 2-3 screens on the slightest swipe.
The scrolling parameters are Qt's defaults, but I guess I could try if it can be made better by fine-tuning them.

Originally Posted by Bec View Post
  • It does not make sense to refresh the package list every time.
    Example:
    Going back from "install" to the "main menu" and to "uninstall".
    -the package list gets refreshed twice. Maybe you could add an option to stop re-checking for 5 minutes after the package list has been updated as well as a force re-check button from the drop-down menu.
    -I also noticed that the default app manager can usually enter "uninstall" without delay.
I'll see what can be done about that... Although you don't have to go back to main menu to change between install/upgrade/remove. Just change your status filter accordingly.

The reason the whole list is read even in case of removal is that you can switch from remove mode to install/upgrade with the status filter any time. It might make sense to have an option for "fast remove mode" which does not read the whole lists but has the status filter disabled...

The Following User Says Thank You to hqh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Since this is posted in the general "Applications" category with no OS-indication in the thread title could you please at least in the opening post indicate what OS version this is for.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

The Following User Says Thank You to silvermountain For This Useful Post:
Yes -- it's a little thing, but we pre-Maemo5 folks appreciate it when devs do this.

And another idea:

When updating, after the scan is complete the user must manually select the apps he wants to update.
I think it would be better if the updatable apps were selected by default, leaving the option of unselecting them.

This way pressing the "Go" button would be just like "update all".

Tnx

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bec For This Useful Post:
Posts: 436 | Thanked: 298 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ England
i get a message when trying to sort by date saying 'no shown packages currently have the required information for sorting by this criterion. the list is unsorted'

is this just me or does everyone get this message?

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by fraaaaanka View Post
i get a message when trying to sort by date saying 'no shown packages currently have the required information for sorting by this criterion. the list is unsorted'

is this just me or does everyone get this message?
Originally Posted by hqh View Post
Package date fetching is an experimental feature, it needs to be enabled from the options menu first. It is only done for packages from maemo.org repositories and only for user/* category packages. The first fetch can be quite slow but the dates are cached for later use and only dates for new packages are fetched next time. Packages that are already installed always have their installation date information with them.
Probably just those who didn't read the release notes. Works fine here.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

The Following User Says Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post: