Active Topics

Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
So now your vkb on LXDE is 100% ok ?
Yup it is, and still with the great new xmimd package and Easy Debian 1.1.0.

Try as user in MeeGo X Terminal :
$ rm -rf ~/.openoffice.org
to delete OpenOffice previous configuration.
It worked, but had to run it as root due to permission error: "rm -rf /home/user/.openoffice.org/".

It would be just a matter of reading the Swype tips, but :
"Hiding the Keyboard: To easily hide the keyboard, just Swype from the Swype key to the backspace key."
doesn't work on my N9, so I just switch to another vkb and close it. Or inside LXDE, I tap in some place without text entry.
It does not wor for me neither, but inside LXDE I tap on an empty area too to temporarily hide the keyboard, or switch to another keyboard, but it may be inconvenient in some cases. Plus taping in an empty area just makes the keyboard to disapear temporarily. For example if you're in OOWriter and need to click on something at the bottom, you need to make the keyboard disappear and you don't want it to come back as soon as you clicked on the stuff at the bottom. For that, it is necessary to switch to a non-Swype keyboard and to swipe it down. It works well, the only hassle is to switch to another keyboard. However, as the Swype keyboard doesn't benefit from the translucency allowed by xmimd (on my device at least), I guess I will not use it very much in Easy Debian now.

Use inside Debian terminal (DebianChroot icon) :
# df -h /
Very useful, thanks a lot!

By the way, thank you very much for the 1.1.0 version of Easy Debian, it's awsome. It's becoming very useable and user-friendly. Have you noticed that now Iceweasel requires a profile to be created to be launched? I tried, but the creation fails so I can't use it; not sure this only happens on my device.

Speaking of Iceweasel, did you try playing Youtube Flash videos with the Sulu's SCI image? You suggested in a previous page that the crashes in Youtube videos might be due to the 9.x version of Flash on your SCI version, so perhaps the newer version on the Sulu's image could tell if this is actually the cause.

Finally, could you elaborate just a little bit on that:
1.b) Scientific version of experimental Sulu's Debian wheezy image (13/08/2012)
- no wallpaper and menu when "clicked" in desktop background;
- no sound tools;
Can we add a wallpaper and fix the missing contextual menu when clicking on the desktop? Which packages should we get to add sound support? And this image uses LibreOffice instead of OpenOffice. As LibreOffice is kind of the newer version, perhaps the commandlines are the same (not sure though): does it mean the Easy Debian icons for OO will still work and launch LibreOffice instead?

Well, finally (bis), I may have a feature idea for the next version of Easy Debian. I don't know if it's easily feasible nor if you will agree that it may be useful, but it would be great to have a feature to select the image to mount. I currently have both you SCI image and the Estel's image. I have to manually edit the /home/user/.chroot file to select the one I want to use, and it's not very convenient. I guess it could be done with scripts and several .chrootX files to be vopied to .chroot just prior to using Easy Debian. There could be icons for each of the 2-3 images one may have on his device, and those icons would run the corresponding script and cp the corresponding .chrootX file into .chroot). What do you think?

Thanks again.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2012-08-20 at 12:03.

Posts: 1,348 | Thanked: 1,863 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ fr/35/rennes
as requested it's in shared repo , also you can join :

https://gitorious.org/harmattan

https://purl.org/rzr/abandonware

Please help to list all maemo existing apps :

https://github.com/abandonware/aband...ment-578143760

https://wiki.maemo.org/Apps#

I am looking for " 4 inch TFT LCD display screen " for Nokia n950 HandSet

http://rzr.online.fr/q/lcd

Also, I need online storage to archive files :

http://db.tt/gn5Qffd6#

https://my.pcloud.com/#page=register...e=g8ikZmcfEJy#

The Following User Says Thank You to www.rzr.online.fr For This Useful Post:
Hi all !

First, i would like to thank's all developers who permit us to use Debian on our phones. This is one the major things i've looked before buying my Nokia N9.

I run PR 1.3 with Easy Deb and Estel's image using Debian squeeze (debian-m5-estel.img.ext3.lzma).

Then, i've some problems and i would like to know if someone can help me.

- If i try to launch ROXTerm, i got an error : The new terminal's command failed to run and i know that this error his the same for all debian images i tried before.

- If i run LXTerminal on the LXDE session, the terminal open but there is no prompt and all i type in has no effects.

- When i try to install something with the DebianChroot terminal, i got that error at the end : dpkg :unrecoverable fatal error, aborting : syntax error : unknown group 'crontab' in stato

- Finally, i would like to know if it's possible to add a shell at the top of the virtual keyboard, cause using a terminal without "Ctrl" and "Tab" is not easy ! And in the same time, how can i add the brace key on the keyboard, for programming purpose ! =D

I wish you a nice day !

Greetings,

Gouwi

Last edited by Gouwi; 2012-08-21 at 08:29.

What's the advantage to using this over just using Easy Chroot exclusively?

I'm tempted to just use Easy Chroot since it doesn't require inception (I'm using the open mode kernel).

Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by Wowfunhappy View Post
What's the advantage to using this over just using Easy Chroot exclusively?
Easy Debian v1.1 = Easy Chroot use + 20 icons + scripts to launch LXDE + scripts to make virtual keyboard work in LXDE + scrips to launch softwares in full-screen outside LXDE + etc.

If you only want chrooting a Debian image in text mode (without LXDE and GUI), then Easy Chroot + debian image is enough.

Originally Posted by Wowfunhappy View Post
I'm tempted to just use Easy Chroot since it doesn't require inception (I'm using the open mode kernel).
I have now a 2nd N9 to install open mode kernel and (try to) develop easy-deb-chroot-openmode.deb (without Inception dependency) in the following week.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Originally Posted by Gouwi View Post
Hi all !

I run PR 1.3 with Easy Deb and Estel's image using Debian squeeze (debian-m5-estel.img.ext3.lzma).

- If i try to launch ROXTerm, i got an error : The new terminal's command failed to run and i know that this error his the same for all debian images i tried before.

- If i run LXTerminal on the LXDE session, the terminal open but there is no prompt and all i type in has no effects.
All Debian images don't have ROXTerm, LXTerminal, etc, working on Harmattan. I don't know the reason, they only work if called as root from Debian Chroot terminal. This problem is cited in 1st post "To-do / wish list".

- When i try to install something with the DebianChroot terminal, i got that error at the end : dpkg :unrecoverable fatal error, aborting : syntax error : unknown group 'crontab' in stato
I can confirm the same problem, which I wasn't aware. I will later try to find the reason and solution for it.

Have you tried Estel's image upgraded to wheezy ?

- Finally, i would like to know if it's possible to add a shell at the top of the virtual keyboard, cause using a terminal without "Ctrl" and "Tab" is not easy ! And in the same time, how can i add the brace key on the keyboard, for programming purpose ! =D
Why not tap "EasyChroot" icon with opens MeeGo Terminal with excellent vkb with Tab, Ctrl, etc ???

About "{", "[", etc. Slide to another vkb, like English, Swype, etc, which has all this characters. My portuguese-br doesn't have "{", "}", but English, English Arrows and Swype have.
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2012-08-22 at 02:18.

Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
It worked, but had to run it as root due to permission error: "rm -rf /home/user/.openoffice.org/".
You've problaly ran OpenOffice once as root, first versions of Easy Debian Harmattan have this problem.

For that, it is necessary to switch to a non-Swype keyboard and to swipe it down.
I see this as a Swype problem on MeeGo, not Easy Debian related.

Have you noticed that now Iceweasel requires a profile to be created to be launched? I tried, but the creation fails so I can't use it; not sure this only happens on my device.
No, I don't see this problem. To fix it, try as root in MeeGo Terminalt :
# rm -rf ~user/.mozilla/firefox
Problably you've ran Iceweasel once as root.

Speaking of Iceweasel, did you try playing Youtube Flash videos with the Sulu's SCI image? You suggested in a previous page that the crashes in Youtube videos might be due to the 9.x version of Flash on your SCI version, so perhaps the newer version on the Sulu's image could tell if this is actually the cause.
I haven't tested it in YouTube, but the Flash is "browser-plugin-gnash" which is really slow.

Look at my analysis of Debian images, cited in 1st post.

In the end, I commented about Flash & Java use in Debian webbrowsers. To use Flash, why not MeeGo FireFox ?

Can we add a wallpaper and fix the missing contextual menu when clicking on the desktop? Which packages should we get to add sound support? And this image uses LibreOffice instead of OpenOffice. As LibreOffice is kind of the newer version, perhaps the commandlines are the same (not sure though): does it mean the Easy Debian icons for OO will still work and launch LibreOffice instead?
I've reported here this issue to Sulu. But many Maemo/MeeGo users are in summer holiday.

Why not try it ? It works as image 1b has LibreOffice linked to OpenOffice, so OpenOffice icons work (they open LibreOffice).

Well, finally (bis), I may have a feature idea for the next version of Easy Debian. I don't know if it's easily feasible nor if you will agree that it may be useful, but it would be great to have a feature to select the image to mount.
Easy Debian for Maemo 4 & 5 has a image installer, but not selector. A image installer for Easy Debian Harmattan is listed in the to-do list of 1st post.

I currently have both you SCI image and the Estel's image. I have to manually edit the /home/user/.chroot file to select the one I want to use, and it's not very convenient. I guess it could be done with scripts and several .chrootX files to be vopied to .chroot just prior to using Easy Debian. There could be icons for each of the 2-3 images one may have on his device, and those icons would run the corresponding script and cp the corresponding .chrootX file into .chroot). What do you think?
I've cited in 1st post :
'Easy Debian needs a Debian image (ext2 or ext3 type) in "/home/user/MyDocs" and named "debian*.img*".
So, any image named starting with 'debian' and ending with '.img*" will be used by Easy Debian. If you have 2 images, just rename the one to not be used to "ndebian..." (for example). That's all, very simple.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2012-08-22 at 02:52.

The Following User Says Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
I see this as a Swype problem on MeeGo, not Easy Debian related.
Yes of course, me too! I was just wondering whether somebody here knew a workaound to swipe the Swype keyboard down.

No, I don't see this problem. To fix it, try as root in MeeGo Terminalt :
# rm -rf ~user/.mozilla/firefox
Problably you've ran Iceweasel once as root.
Thanks, it solved the problem.

I haven't tested it in YouTube, but the Flash is "browser-plugin-gnash" which is really slow.

Look at my analysis of Debian images, cited in 1st post.
In the end, I commented about Flash & Java use in Debian webbrowsers. To use Flash, why not MeeGo FireFox ?
I looked at both your posts on images and about Flash, and they're actually what made me ask the question. I wondered whether you tested the Sulu's upgraded image and observed any progress on Flash videos, just to know if it was indeed the Flash version in your Sci image that caused crashes on Flash videos. Maybe I'll investigate on that someday, but not now, plus I have not enough free space on my N9 to try Sulu's image so I would have to clean the phone a little bit before.

Anyway, to play Flash I use Meego Firefox, and I am eagerly looking for a more useable version of the faster Firefox that has been discussed on TMO recently, but if Flash had been functional on any Debian browser, then this browser may have became a must-have (real desktop user agent, support for extensions, Flash, and so on... In brief: true Desktop experience with a few extensions to make it more finger-friendly). I was just curious, not a big deal there.

Why not try it ? It works as image 1b has LibreOffice linked to OpenOffice, so OpenOffice icons work (they open LibreOffice).
Great news!

Easy Debian for Maemo 4 & 5 has a image installer, but not selector. A image installer for Easy Debian Harmattan is listed in the to-do list of 1st post.

I've cited in 1st post :
'Easy Debian needs a Debian image (ext2 or ext3 type) in "/home/user/MyDocs" and named "debian*.img*".
So, any image named starting with 'debian' and ending with '.img*" will be used by Easy Debian. If you have 2 images, just rename the one to not be used to "ndebian..." (for example). That's all, very simple.
You're right that renaming the images would be simpler than editing the .chroot file to comment/uncomment lines for the images I want to use. But basically this is the same issue: you have to open up an application before, and to do something either in Filebox or in the Terminal. That's quite easy and quick, but it can be a problem if you do it several times a day. That's why I just asked if you were planning to release an image selector (I knew for the future image downloader, but it does not have the same purpose), or some kind of icons associated with scripts to either switch between multiple .chrootX files, or, indeed, rename images to Xdebian[...].img and debian[...].img. The answer is no, that's all I wanted to know.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2012-08-23 at 02:05.

Originally Posted by www.rzr.online.fr View Post
why using armel when you can use armhf

for ubuntu geeks that one could be used through nfs :

http://rzr.online.fr/q/rootfs

Am trying to use this image, but although chrooting easily, i cannot start lxde, and cannot install unity-2d. also this is a karmic version, am downloading a minimal image for 12.14

any new updates? all images are for debian, would like to see if ubuntu might be any better.

thanks

Originally Posted by ssciberras View Post
Am trying to use this image, but although chrooting easily, i cannot start lxde, and cannot install unity-2d. also this is a karmic version, am downloading a minimal image for 12.14

any new updates? all images are for debian, would like to see if ubuntu might be any better.
I suggest creating an specific topic about Ubuntu experiences on Nokia N9/N950 :
- using Easy Chroot Harmattan;
- adapting the source code of Easy Debian Harmattan because there are different scripts (LXDE x Unity, etc) and configuration files on Debian and Ubuntu images;
- ideally trying to create a Easy Ubuntu Harmattan .deb.

I haven't time to deal with Ubuntu due to Easy Debian development and some others projects which are late.