Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
That's one horrible UI for a mobile device. I hope that if there is a port of what you show gets a major retooling. Seriously, Palm had it right, and no one has been so bold to copy it. You are on a mobile device, tons of small buttons and drop downs are not productive.

Guess its time to get that UI/UX wireframe kit warmed up again
1. This is screenshot of KOrganizer from KDE3 which was crammed into Maemo just by compilation. Previously in thread you could see screenshot of KOrganizer from KDE4 which is a bit more adjusted to Maemo.
2. Even in this interface you can just turn off some things to make it fit better.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
PIM on the IT looking at Nokia as it sits currently would be:
- Ovi
- Browser with offline capabilities
- Widgets for the homescreen
- one touch syncing to Ovi for IT and mobile phone

Don't think about PIM being so disconnected from everything else Nokia is doing, you'll miss the point of a device from a services company where the Internet is ubquious
mhm... while this sounds very reasonable and realistic, I take it as a threat. the sorry state ovi.com is in right now doesn't make me trust them to hold any of my data. Also in general I don't believe in online services. I have hardware that can run software, so I want real software to access my data anywhere, even if I never go online.

So if Nokia really tries to do sell ovi.com as a PIM solution, it simply wouldn't count for me and I'd have to search on.
Of course, that's only me. The cool young kids will certainly go for it.

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Yeah, like so many other productivity apps in Debian (Evolution mail, I'm looking at YOU), it was clearly designed for a desktop. I bet the devs who wrote these apps would be a bit shocked to see them on a tablet; thed'd probably look at it and blush... "Oh man, I should have thought of that..."
Originally Posted by tso View Post
heh, can someone say outlook on a umpc?
After the Zune, I'm not sure Microsoft or its devs ever blush at anything.

Originally Posted by vvaz View Post
1. This is screenshot of KOrganizer from KDE3 which was crammed into Maemo just by compilation. Previously in thread you could see screenshot of KOrganizer from KDE4 which is a bit more adjusted to Maemo.
2. Even in this interface you can just turn off some things to make it fit better.
I didn't actually compile anything, just "apt-get kontact" in Debian. I don't really think the first one was any better looking; it was pretty ugly too, actually.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
mhm... while this sounds very reasonable and realistic, I take it as a threat. the sorry state ovi.com is in right now doesn't make me trust them to hold any of my data. Also in general I don't believe in online services. I have hardware that can run software, so I want real software to access my data anywhere, even if I never go online.
I agree, but I wouldn't mind the need to be online if it'd be easy with a NIT (e.g. because it has 3G). However, then I'd like to run my own online platform for such services. A corporation should keep such data internal. An individual can easily run a 24/7 server on their 24/7 internet connection.

I didn't actually compile anything, just "apt-get kontact" in Debian. I don't really think the first one was any better looking; it was pretty ugly too, actually.
What would you change?

I've only used a PIM on my Zaurus. I'm still using a normal agenda. But because I lack experience with PIM I don't know how a good PIM would work or look. I do know the current solutions each have quirks. Maybe a mockup would be useful, or even having contact with the developers.

Don't forget there used to be KDE PIM/PI for Qtopia's Zaurus. That was KDE2, and years ago, but still. If you go to http://pim.kde.org you basically are redirected to http://kontact.kde.org and all the information on the homepage is old. It looks like KDE PIM hasn't reborn yet.

Because Nokia goes Qt, KDE PIM might be a very useful addition.

I meant they (Debian, penguinbait) just make sure it compiles and starts - no thinking about defaults, tablet specific settings etc.

For example you can make it look just like default GPE look: one day wiev, month view, todos. Or even less for better look and fit. KOrganizer (and whole Kontact) is really flexible. Not as powerful as Outlook but this gap is closing.

It is good to mention that person which is currently working on porting of KDE4 (including KDE-PIM) to Maemo is Nokia's Qt Software employee. Note: he may do it in his free time or means as framework testing but maybe, maybe...

The Following User Says Thank You to vvaz For This Useful Post:
Whither the "evolution?"

(Works for debian, I wouldn't run evolution+iceweasel (SLOW!).. but midori/gimp/etc can run with evolution just fine.)

I have the hardest time posting attachments from the tablet I swear...
Attached Images

pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Last edited by fatalsaint; 2008-09-14 at 02:13.

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
Whither the "evolution?"

(Works for debian, Wouldn't run evolution+iceweasel.. but midori/gimp/etc can run with evolution just fine.)
Speak of the devil...

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
He is talking about the interface, not the functionality It can have full functionality without having scrollboxes with one or two rows...
Yet another strong testament for separating logic from UI.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
Whither the "evolution?"

(Works for debian, I wouldn't run evolution+iceweasel (SLOW!).. but midori/gimp/etc can run with evolution just fine.)

I have the hardest time posting attachments from the tablet I swear...
I wonder how well it functions!

What about chrooting to Debian, exporting DISPLAY to :0, and then running Evolution. Does this integrate well? Is this a good way to see how an vanilla application integrates in Maemo?