I imagine it runs fine in easy debian. It ran fine for me for 3 days and is so far the only decent email app in debian (thunderbirds equivalent segfaults on me).

It runs like all the other heavy apps run (iceweasel, gimp, etc).

The tablet crawls running evolution and iceweasel at same time...but the above graphic was taken with gimp & evolution + xchat and pidgin running. Ran fine.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Try osmo from the debian repos. Seems quite usable after some tweaking.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
osmo looks cool!
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
I imagine it runs fine in easy debian. It ran fine for me for 3 days and is so far the only decent email app in debian (thunderbirds equivalent segfaults on me).

It runs like all the other heavy apps run (iceweasel, gimp, etc).

The tablet crawls running evolution and iceweasel at same time...but the above graphic was taken with gimp & evolution + xchat and pidgin running. Ran fine.
I never ran Debian on NIT yet so I cannot imagine. Although I can imagine how 'crawl' feels. I've had that before with MicroB + no swap

Thanks for suggesting Osmo! Here is Osmo homepage http://clay.ll.pl/osmo/ with screenshots and here is the Debian/Lenny package & dependancies http://packages.debian.org/lenny/osmo

We'd need at least a port for libical0, libnotify-gtk2.10, and libgringotts2 in order to compile it, and also some versions eg. e.g. glibc, libgcc, libglib2 are a bit out of date but that is not necessarily a problem.

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
What would you change?

I've only used a PIM on my Zaurus. I'm still using a normal agenda. But because I lack experience with PIM I don't know how a good PIM would work or look. I do know the current solutions each have quirks. Maybe a mockup would be useful, or even having contact with the developers.

Don't forget there used to be KDE PIM/PI for Qtopia's Zaurus. That was KDE2, and years ago, but still. If you go to http://pim.kde.org you basically are redirected to http://kontact.kde.org and all the information on the homepage is old. It looks like KDE PIM hasn't reborn yet.

Because Nokia goes Qt, KDE PIM might be a very useful addition.
If I get the time this week, I'll mock up some wireframes based on the screenshots given in this thread. I've got ideas of what can work based on the audience response here and based on what sells outside of here

Cramming functions into a system is ok, but only when that system is designed around the context of use, not the use designed around the application.

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
mhm... while this sounds very reasonable and realistic, I take it as a threat. the sorry state ovi.com is in right now doesn't make me trust them to hold any of my data. Also in general I don't believe in online services. I have hardware that can run software, so I want real software to access my data anywhere, even if I never go online.

So if Nokia really tries to do sell ovi.com as a PIM solution, it simply wouldn't count for me and I'd have to search on.
Of course, that's only me. The cool young kids will certainly go for it.
Hehehe, not a threat; I don't push buttons at Nokia or anywhere else, I just look at the road as its presented in front of me and drive according to a different speed limit

Ovi is getting closer and closer to Nokia's overall solution, and therefore Nokia pitching it as a hub for PIM and multimedia, not the solution, but a spoke in the solution - the solution is the internet that revolves around how you use it.

Depending on how much Nokia/Maemo likes the idea of the browser being an important underpinning to the platform - the engine and ability to use plugins, not so much the chrome - this is very possible. Expose the functionality via a few libraries and eas-er to code extensions and then its just a matter of wrapping Qt, Hildon, or whatever shell on top of it that works best for the means.

I'm not saying that Ovi is the solution, we are probably a good tablet OS generation from that being the case. But in terms of what's to come and what is possible, having something that is not connected to Nokia's other properties is probably not the best line of thinking.

...that all being said, the platform is open, anyone can develop on top of it given some coding knowledge, functionality, and a nearly decent UI

The Following User Says Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
Posts: 213 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Barbados
All these PIM apps coming out ot the woodwork. Quite interesting actually. I thought the basic stuff included on the N8xx was all there was unless you installed Garnet VM.

Now suddenly there is KOrganizer and now Osmo revealed, and apparently in use by some members here. A few also using KDE Callender.

I thought people were not interested in PIM! Seems that was not a correct assumption. Was it that people were using their N8xx's are PDA's all along in secret to avoid being blasted by the "It's an internet tablet not a PDA" crew?

What I'd like to know is why are none of these freshly revealed apps not in the Maemo apps directory? Are they stable? Can they be installed without risk of bricking your expensive tablet?

If so then all my issues with the N810 are solved and I will buy one as soon as I can afford it.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
the one "sad" thing is that noone have gotten round to getting opensync and multisync-gui up and running, as most of these pim apps use that for syncing with just about anything...

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
I've got Osmo to compile for ARM, it works OK on the NIT, but needs to be hildonized. I've compiled it without iCalendar support (libical), Encrypted notes (libgringotts), and SyncML enabled device support (libsyncml). It compiled straight after some headers were installed. I'll see if I can add Hildon support and get iCal and SyncML supported...

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by tso View Post
the one "sad" thing is that noone have gotten round to getting opensync and multisync-gui up and running, as most of these pim apps use that for syncing with just about anything...
multisync has an armel version in Debian, so it should compile no problems. But there may be other difficulties, beyond simply compiling...