Originally Posted by JulmaHerra View Post
N8 is first and last Symbian^3 device for N-series. They are not going to ditch Symbian completely, as far as I remember, Vanjoki said that it is very likely that we will see Symbian^4 devices in N-series in the future.

In my opinion, every device we buy is going to lose support in the long run. Symbian^3 will be around for short while and then replaced with Symbian^4, but afterall, we have not seen a single Symbian device that can be updated with new version of Symbian OS. Symbian^4 devices are about one year ahead (plus delays), so it gives N8 reasonable time to be on the market, this time being "one of a kind." Fact is, Nokia simply cannot stick with S60 for one additional year waiting to jump straight to Symbian^4. Qt will bring at least some backwards compatibility, so N8 might be actually a good buy if you don't want to wait for MeeGo to be available for our N900's or pay higher price for new MeeGo-device. At least if software doesn't suffer too many problems.
Hrm.. IMHO: The mentality of only 1, maybe 2 year support for a phone just doesn't quite cut it anymore. The iPhones were updated for more than 2 years. An example, according to wiki, the iPhone 3G was released June of 2008, and received the 4.0.1 update July 1, 2010.

For Android, the Cliq, one of the older Android models, is rumored (though, admittedly hasn't got it yet) to get the 2.1 update in the very near future. I believe it's only a year old, but there have been significant improvements in android from the release of the CLIQ till now and those customers will get to enjoy that.

With Nokia's history, we've gotten a device with an OS - and we'll get just a few updates to that containing bug fixes and the like - but nothing really significant - and then the platform will simply be dead, like the N810.

That kind of business-model is just.. unappealing now-a-days. So making a new phone with an already EOL product hoping that you'll get at most 1 year of support of it is.. well.. kinda setting the standards a little low isn't it?

And, as far as "MeeGo to be available on our N900's".. keep in mind that it is said everywhere you see that it will be a developer edition only. Will it be end-user "usable?"... eh.. maybe.. but no guarantees. I'm expecting theres definitely going to be real quirks with it, it's just quirks weird people like me will enjoy using it with. Your average smart phone buyer OTOH isn't going to be interested in running a non-optimized OS on their phone..
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
I'm honestly surprised by the fact that some people can acquire more "Thanks!"es with trolling in threads like this than the developers with their applications' threads.

Something is wrong here.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
Hrm.. IMHO: The mentality of only 1, maybe 2 year support for a phone just doesn't quite cut it anymore. The iPhones were updated for more than 2 years. An example, according to wiki, the iPhone 3G was released June of 2008, and received the 4.0.1 update July 1, 2010.
Maybe, maybe not. My N97 mini is considered to be something like obsolete piece of ****, yet it received last firmware update short while ago. It is actually quite good with it now. On the Apple side of story, their update of iOS 4 to older devices wasn't actually that smooth. IMO it's better to stick with older version on devices that doesn't pack the punch to actually run the newer one. This is why many of many iPhone owners have actually downgraded their OS's. Same goes with Android (Motorola Droid had performance issues with updated version) and Windows Mobile (colleague used to have HTC Windows-device, updated with newer version it had terrible performance).

That kind of business-model is just.. unappealing now-a-days. So making a new phone with an already EOL product hoping that you'll get at most 1 year of support of it is.. well.. kinda setting the standards a little low isn't it?
Support for older device doesn't really stop right there when newer device or OS is out, nor does it mean that older product is EOL. If OS is stable and supports application frameworks used in newer devices, I don't really see that big problem.

And, as far as "MeeGo to be available on our N900's".. keep in mind that it is said everywhere you see that it will be a developer edition only. Will it be end-user "usable?"... eh.. maybe.. but no guarantees. I'm expecting theres definitely going to be real quirks with it, it's just quirks weird people like me will enjoy using it with. Your average smart phone buyer OTOH isn't going to be interested in running a non-optimized OS on their phone..
I'm perfectly aware of that. I never considered N900 to be an average Joe's device anyway. Community supported version of MeeGo is likely to be out, but I'm not sure if I really want it. There's not enough known about it at the moment to make decision on that yet. Remains to be seen. At the moment updated and optimized version of Ovi Maps is actually only thing I really miss (OK, better battery life would also be appreciated...) and if it will be available for Maemo 5, I won't be that sad if MeeGo for N900 doesn't happen in usable manner. But that's just me...

Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
I'm honestly surprised by the fact that some people can acquire more "Thanks!"es with trolling in threads like this than the developers with their applications' threads.

Something is wrong here.
Lol. Guess it is human nature to focus more on negatives than positives. If my wife does something negative I always criticise her. If she does something positive tend not to say anything about it and take it for granted. Unless it is something so amazing that I just have to commend her for it.

Many people here are so frustrated with Nokia that the negatives from Nokia far outweighs the good work you guys are doing.

Don't worry about it - you just concentrate on getting the Sticky Notes update out as soon as possible

The Following User Says Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
thanks for making this forum miserable place for the rest of us.

just **** off, I got (again) too tired to this piece of sh...

..and because you idiots don't know how to leave, I'll have to do it.

Yes I admit you won. Congrats....
What is THAT all about????.

And we have comments like this to deal with too !.

AM just wondering something here... is ossipena and slender one and the same???, i think it is at least worthwhile investigating by a mod, as it is not allowed to have 2 id's !.

Both have very nasty comments to make at various people and are both in the same location... weird..

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Stop stirring the pot. Just let it rest, abill_uk. Just let it rest.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 333 | Thanked: 153 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ blah blah
can someone tag this with 'worstthreadever'

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Stop stirring the pot. Just let it rest, abill_uk. Just let it rest.
It will rest when nastiness dissapears from this forum !.

LIVE AND LET LIVE.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
It will rest when nastiness dissapears from this forum !.

LIVE AND LET LIVE.
Letīs make everyone blind!

Posts: 75 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Malta
Hmmm...someone actually realised the nokia exec avoiding n900 questions...

http://www.networkworld.com/news/201...tive-show.html

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fieryriver For This Useful Post:

Tags
oh boy here, we go again, why do birds..., worstthreadever