Active Topics

Posts: 180 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Miami
Well you have to understand how the virus works before you can really do anything. Bloking .exe files is not as hard as it may seem, but theres many ways of doing it. I would try to go into the registry editor and find the file thats causing it. It usually just a matter of switching "on" to "off". Try This:
1. Click Start, and then click Run.

2. Type "command.com" , and then press Enter. (A DOS window opens.)

3. Type the following:

"cd\"

"cd \windows"

Press Enter after typing each one.

4. Type copy "regedit.exe regedit.com" and then press Enter.

5. Type "start regedit.com" and then press Enter.

6. Navigate to and select the key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command

7. In the right pane, double-click the (Default) value.

8. Delete the current value data, and then type:

"%1" %*

Tip: Type the characters: quote-percent-one-quote-space-percent-asterisk.

9. Close Regedit utility.

Posts: 207 | Thanked: 119 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Everything here is temporary solutions. Constant solution it is install linux. For Linux exist only one antivirus clamav but it is check e-mails only for prevention infection of other windows computers....

Now some linux distributives very user frendly (ubuntu for example)...

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Originally Posted by mikhmv View Post
Everything here is temporary solutions. Constant solution it is install linux. For Linux exist only one antivirus clamav but it is check e-mails only for prevention infection of other windows computers....

Not only clamav. F-prot has a linux binary and is good

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Great thanks for the community, I am still sitting on the problem.... will sort it out later today.

Thanks again for all the ideas. Feeling much better now,

bun

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
If this is in the same family as "XP Antivirus 2009" and Friends, it's a nasty one. Or rather, it was a nasty one back then, and has gotten worse since. I don't know anything about this particular beast, but I have seen some in that family even (as far as I can tell) infect recovery partitions, so that a full restore doesn't fix things. Eep. Honestly, my advice for virus clean-up is almost always "format it". The problem is that you Just Don't Know, and once a system has been compromised, you can't trust it.
Out of curiousity, is this one of those ones that tries to get you to pay to remove supposedly "infected" files, then takes off with your money and trashes your computer on the way out? I'm too tired to go look it up.
Good Luck!

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by jaem View Post
I... Honestly, my advice for virus clean-up is almost always "format it". The problem is that you Just Don't Know, and once a system has been compromised, you can't trust it.
Out of curiousity, is this one of those ones that tries to get you to pay to remove supposedly "infected" files, then takes off with your money and trashes your computer on the way out?..
Yes, it is that kind of virus, your computer CANNOT do anything, it keeps on flashing you have a virus and disable ALL .exe, .com, .bat, as well as IE browser, strange enough, FireFox works

I am still sitting on it, will deal with it when I am back this evening after work, what F)(*I)(&&^ wasting of human time

bun

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
I do have a linus boot finger and I use it all the time. But I do not know of any Linux based avirus software, I will look around. I thought about this route before making the 1st post, but have not faintest idea how to proceed, I am glad you encourage me in the direction, I may give it a shot. How do I choose which way to go, based on success rate (what I thought would be) and shortest amt of f**&(^%( time I am wasted. Am I upset? VERY! I have to say it one more time, writing virus program and leak out to the net is like putting poison into well water. They should be looked at as the same.

bun
I.. just finished pointing out an Antivirus program to use in the post JUST before yours. ALONG WITH INSTRUCTIONS on how to use it off the disc I recommended you download (a LINUX, not Linus, rescue CD called, unironically, System Rescue CD). Here it is again: http://www.sysresccd.org/Sysresccd-m...Clam_AntiVirus

And now you know of at least one antivirus for Linux. :P

Originally Posted by born2wonder View Post
For a linux antivirus, use clamav. But first, can you boot fine into safe mode (Pressing F8 right before windows xp logo shows, then choosing safe mode). If you do, can you run a .exe file inside safe mode or is the virus prohibiting you there too?

Shaq
Terrible idea. If you have a link or bootsector virus, you already may have loaded it and it's actively residing in your computer--potentially preventing you from detecting it or properly running your antivirus on your already infected system. You want to AVOID booting the hard drive of the infected system before scanning it with a CD or DVD (something read-only) based boot CD with an antivirus.

Originally Posted by bandora View Post
I highly recommend you to use Kaspersky Internet Security 2010... The program is light on resources and is VERY powerful.. I've been using Kaspersky since like 2006 and haven't had any spywares/malwares/viruses... etc on any of our computers at home (We have 7)... Check them out: http://www.kaspersky.com You can also download 30-day free trial!

I recommended this to many people and they are all happy.. so I hope I have helped you out here too..
That's a GREAT one too! Kapersky has an excellent reputation for integrity, unlike Norton and McAfee (which I must STRESS to avoid).

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by mikhmv View Post

Although I like your enthusiasm for Linux, your lack of heterocultural system engineering disturbs me. You CAN have Windows and Macintosh and Linux and many other systems without running into viruses as long as you are vigilantly careful (say with Firefox running NoScript and AdBlock Pro) and run an antivirus from a company with the integrity not to make deals with companies to permit their infections to go through and open up holes for which much nastier things may hide inside to avoid detection as well. Excellent examples of honorable antivirus manufacturers have already been mentioned, like F-Prot, Avast, Kapersky.

That all being said, however, I do agree with your sentiments--I just think it comes across as more of a slap in the face for using Windows where I think you may have intended to simply point out the heightened security advantages in Linux. Although, I would argue that you would benefit from a heightened security in using nearly anything aside from Windows simply because of the way Microsoft has decided to implement business decisions in software development while most of the high profile open source projects manage to successfully implement business decisions tempered with other considerations (security being one of them) much more effectively.

Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
Originally Posted by nichos View Post
We get a lot of these at work. The best way would be to boot to safe mode and do it manually, but, if you're lazy:
http://www.malwarebytes.org/ (free version)
Agree, I used this program to fix this exact problem on my grandpa's computer.

The trick is to download Malwarebytes on another computer, put it on USB or CDrom, something like that, and then go to the infected computer, boot into safe mode, install malware bytes, then try to run it. When you reboot if the "internet security 2010" still loads, you usually have a small bit of time before it starts when you can run another program. During that time be sure to run Malwarebytes so it is open in the background, then you can alt-tab to it and have it clean your system.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I like Panda Cloud antivirus these days, though everything I've ever tried has worked well for me; lucky I guess.