Notices

Originally Posted by Sadavyk View Post
maybe you just dont understand maemo sound like you would be better with a iphone, i love the n900 and yes theres a few things missing, i had every smart phone on the market and i can tell you a the down side of all of them, and before you buy anything do your homework 1st
IPHONE! How dare you! go drink and drive ... lol j/k.
Sorry for wanting some phone app love here.

Originally Posted by Modell900 View Post
Itīs hardly THAT slow when you auto rotate it, and itīs quite useful to be able to quickly send a sms OR call the person you have in the latest call log or in contacts, but I guess thatīs a personal preference

Probably possible to tweak the speed of the animation, any handy person that knows the answer to that?

About scrolling through contacts, you know that you can just type in the first letters of that persons name and it pops right up?
Or use the A-Z sidelist?

I got over 400 people in mine and I donīt complain, I rather salute em for the multiple ways of finding people faster then ever.
Something must be up with mine.
Im gonna have to Hard reset my n900 cause my auto rotate feature take a while and is only getting slower (7-10 secs!)

well, the phone part of the n900 is clearly not up to the phone standards of any other nokia device and people seeing nokia on this thing and coming from an e51 or 6230 or even some throwaway s40 phone expect the phone part to just work and work well.

The n900 is great device. the phone functionality is *relatively* weak

Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
It's all about convergent devices. Saying your phone isn't really a phone is a cop out. Could they have been more minimal. My phone did more than this 15 years ago.

The person who merges the computer, the phone, the PDA, NAV device, Social Networking gadget, entertainment (Music, TV, Games,etc) will win. Nokia had a leg up with the original Communicator than kinda blew it. If Nokia wants to take on the Fruit Boys, they need to quit making excuses.

Everybody who didn't want their N900 to have a real Navigation system(SW, HW, Compass, etc) and a REAL phone in it, raise their hands.

I can't have separate ringtones, and filter calls? Sheesh! Free phones do this stuff. The Joke that they call profiles.

That being said, there's nothing else out there close to it. It does a LOT well. It does a LOT less than half AZZ...
Thank You!
I mean come on Nokia! a free phone from walmart can redial with a double tap of the green button . I have hope that a update will soon fix most of these problem

In response to the "deal with it" Msgs and "get a Non-Maemo Phone" reply all I have to say is like Maemo first Internet device/phone I too am new to this community and appreciate other people's tips and experiences with their Phone app, but lets keep the whole "stop complaining" comments out. This is a New Nokia Device from 2009 and they know better! I would just like to see if its just me.

The Following User Says Thank You to synplex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 139 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ San Francisco, CA
synplex,

you have some valid points, and some where I appreciate something as a feature what you dislike.

First, changing orientation (landscape / portrait) takes less than a second on my device. So there is something wrong with your N900 - did the hard reset better the behavior?

I like that tapping the contact opens more than one possibility to get in touch. As a matter of fact I use it often to select to call my wife at home or on her cell or at her office. Or my parents either using land line or gizmo5 or skype. And my son prefers to be contacted by SMS.

What you'd like to have though is the possibility to have a shortcut to a phone # (not a contact). I think this would be a great idea in addition to the existing shortcut for the contact.

And yes, the overall phone functionality could be improved, especially voice calling, voice announcement, etc. There are many posts in this forum in this regard.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by synplex View Post
IPHONE! How dare you! go drink and drive ... lol j/k.
Sorry for wanting some phone app love here.
No no, you aren't in the wrong for wanting improvements... just understand that putting a charged word like "sucks" in your thread title is like waving a red flag in front of a whole herd of bulls.

Originally Posted by cBeam View Post
synplex,

you have some valid points, and some where I appreciate something as a feature what you dislike.

First, changing orientation (landscape / portrait) takes less than a second on my device. So there is something wrong with your N900 - did the hard reset better the behavior?

I like that tapping the contact opens more than one possibility to get in touch. As a matter of fact I use it often to select to call my wife at home or on her cell or at her office. Or my parents either using land line or gizmo5 or skype. And my son prefers to be contacted by SMS.

What you'd like to have though is the possibility to have a shortcut to a phone # (not a contact). I think this would be a great idea in addition to the existing shortcut for the contact.

And yes, the overall phone functionality could be improved, especially voice calling, voice announcement, etc. There are many posts in this forum in this regard.
Good points. No I have not hard resetted my n900 yet I will when I get home.

Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
Originally Posted by cBeam View Post
synplex,

Have you tweaked your transition settings? Because I've had mine since DEC1. Mine has been reflashed a few times playing with stuff. But the transition is the same as it has always been. Roughly 2 secs.

As soon as i flip it I start counting.

I go 1 thousand One and one thousand two before it is FULLY transitioned. I start counting as soon as it is flipped. I haven't noticed much change from any of the versions of SW that has been on it or whether I had a lot of data and apps.

The problem is that 2 seconds occurs at the worst time. The phone rings, you pick it up and it decides to reorient about the time your finger comes up to tap it beacuse of what the accelerometer is trying to figure out. I thin k there are 3 solutions for this. Put up with it, Lock it, or learn HOW to pick it up so that it is already oriented when you want to tap it.

If it's 7 seconds, really 7 seconds, something is wrong. I have to say I'm skeptical of under a second though. Probably depends more on how you and I are doing the test.

Posts: 127 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
No no, you aren't in the wrong for wanting improvements... just understand that putting a charged word like "sucks" in your thread title is like waving a red flag in front of a whole herd of bulls.
Do you have to start the same discussion up one more topic ?
For a council representative, you make a whole lot of Off Topic posts..

/And this was my last OT post in this thread.

Tags
nokia fanbois, thread title sucks