Active Topics

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
There are a lot of different business models.
  • Sell actual software/content. This is the easiest with Ovi, but the N900's lack of DRM does not encourage this model
  • Sell subscription. If your software provides a service, you can sell that and DRM is not an issue any more.
  • Sell support. Depends on actual software, obviously, not really applicable to trinkets.
  • Ads. People dislike this, but hey, it's a business model.
  • Donations. Not really a business model, but it IS income.

These are basic ones, most models fall into these groups (or combinations of them).
There's also multiplayer, and high score support. That would also let you have some DRM like control without being too intrusive too.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
Why wait on Nokia? We can do it ourselves on maemo.org, if people like my (pragmatic) idea for micro-donations on maemo.org.
[TM].
Do you mind if I refer to your work (credited) in my user experience framework presentation now in development?

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 237 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ San Diego, CA
There are a lot of different business models.
  • Sell actual software/content. This is the easiest with Ovi, but the N900's lack of DRM does not encourage this model
Or you know, just don't treat your customers like criminals and sell them unencumbered non-restricted content to begin with.

• Sell subscription. If your software provides a service, you can sell that and DRM is not an issue any more.
  • Sell support. Depends on actual software, obviously, not really applicable to trinkets.
  • Ads. People dislike this, but hey, it's a business model.
  • Donations. Not really a business model, but it IS income.
All of these are already possible without the Ovi store, except maybe Ads.

Any open source app serving ads is just asking for a fork.

The Following User Says Thank You to go1dfish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Originally Posted by dongzhe View Post
if nokia want to have as good as iphone stores or even better, they have to make the apps profitable. Developers need something to live on. Developers are not robots, they need to eat as well.
Apple's App Store isn't as great as it seems. Its crowded with crapware, can be manipulated to make whack apps seem highly rated, and hardly anyone gets rich, despite what the media says. There is nothing in the Ovi Store preventing anyone from making money, and the opportunity is actually higher for Ovi, since the installed base is much larger. All devs need to do is put a price on their apps. Those free apps are free by choice.

The Following User Says Thank You to christexaport For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
There's also multiplayer, and high score support. That would also let you have some DRM like control without being too intrusive too.
Technically, that's the 'service' category.

Originally Posted by go1dfish
Or you know, just don't treat your customers like criminals and sell them unencumbered non-restricted content to begin with.
That's not what I was talking about. When the application itself is the value, the lack of DRM *is* discouraging for commercial developers, because it makes it easy to part the developer from the value. That's why THIS PARTICULAR business model prefers DRM. The number of people who realize just what DRM is is so little the 'upside' of gaining 'educated' customers is just not worth it from a financial standpoint. Today, if you want to forego DRM, you have to opt for a different business model - fighting DRM head on with this business model will lead nowhere.

All of these are already possible without the Ovi store, except maybe Ads.
Everything is possible without the Ovi store. Ovi store is primarily a convenience factor to facilitate easier payment. The problem that people have been 'trained' to think of a Store/Marketplace as a central/only place to acquire software is a different issue.

Any open source app serving ads is just asking for a fork.
There is no support for open source apps on Ovi (for now) so open source apps are completely out of scope in this thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Do you mind if I refer to your work (credited) in my user experience framework presentation now in development?
Absolutely fine with that :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Yeah, no-one realised that apt-get would work.
That's what scares me a little bit. I mean.... They set up a Debian repository and don't understand you can install via apt-get? The company that brought apt-get to the device and built a GUI around it and fine-tunes package- and repository-handling for Maemo all the time? They simply did not know?

I can't believe this. If it's true and they really didn't understand that apt-get works, it's frightening because... well, because it doesn't make them look very competent in the end. And it makes you wonder which semi-compatible, non-standard solutions they may come up with now that they found out how a repository works.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
so in summary, there is no money make here, if ovi store don't even support open source apps. then why the hell they use open source os.

Posts: 301 | Thanked: 227 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Turkey
Yeah, no-one realised that apt-get would work. I'm guessing we'll get per-user virtual repositories, with the Packages file limited to those apps which have been "downloaded"/bought through the web UI. Not foolproof for preventing piracy, but probably Good Enough[TM].
So, If you share your virtual repository (or Ovi Account) with another user, he can get content you bought too? Even if its password protected, you can still share it with your friends, so its not a real way to fight with piracy. But it can still be possible, if they make it check IMEI numbers instead. Its still hard to change it, and illegal too.

Why wait on Nokia? We can do it ourselves on maemo.org, if people like my (pragmatic) idea for micro-donations on maemo.org.
I love this idea!! Making things easy to donate for would be awesome. I refuse to 'sell' software... but getting people to donate is quite a pain in my experience.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post: