Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ
Originally Posted by tnkgrl
Mike, this device will work exactly the same way for the Nokia 770 as for the Sony PSP
Not exactly, Tank. The 770 requires +5V DC to be pushed BACKWARD up the USB line (from the device to the tablet) in order for USB host mode to work. I am sure we can find a way to solder over a single wire to permit that on these drives but then it may not work (or even damage) other devices.

Posts: 155 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ central georgia, usa
Originally Posted by thoughtfix
Not exactly, Tank. The 770 requires +5V DC to be pushed BACKWARD up the USB line (from the device to the tablet) in order for USB host mode to work. I am sure we can find a way to solder over a single wire to permit that on these drives but then it may not work (or even damage) other devices.
Not sure I understand this. Previous diagrams indicate the power leads are missing from the 770 USB connector...

P

Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ
Originally Posted by putkowski
Not sure I understand this. Previous diagrams indicate the power leads are missing from the 770 USB connector...

P
This should help:

http://thoughtfix.blogspot.com/2006/...st-method.html

Posts: 34 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ San Francisco
*thoughtfix*, as you have shown, pushing power up the USB port is trivial, and once the Nokia 770 becomes a USB host, any self powered hard drive like the Apple iPod can be connected to it...

However, this hard drive for the Sony PSP is itself USB host, allowing data to be pushed to any USB mass storage device (including the Nokia 770's RS-MMC card and the Sony PSP's Memory Stick Duo card).

Last edited by tnkgrl; 2006-01-10 at 00:15.

Posts: 148 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Stimutax, AZ
If the enclosure is a host mode device, effectively making the PSP a client device, is this no different than what you could do with the 770. It would make no sense to me that the enclosure wouldn't have +5 volts sending out on the line to the PSP.

Clarification? Anyone?

*Edit*

According to http://www.beyondlogic.org/usb/otghost.htm :

A dual-role device needs only source a minimum of 8 mA on Vbus

The question is now: Would 8mA be enough to enable the 770?

Last edited by gultig; 2006-01-09 at 23:33.

thoughtfix: the shame is that there is no easy host option. Hell, I'd settle for a fugly option on XP, as long as I could finally hook up all the neat things like you. Admit it: You're protecting your 1337 turf. Ha!!

tnkgrl, you continue to astound me. Are there 3 of you or don't you sleep? Thanks again!

-- edited to add:

Replied too soon, didn't see pg 2!

Yeah, what gultig said!

-- live via 770

Last edited by Mike Cane; 2006-01-09 at 23:37. Reason: more

Originally Posted by Mike Cane
thoughtfix: the shame is that there is no easy host option. Hell, I'd settle for a fugly option on XP, as long as I could finally hook up all the neat things like you. Admit it: You're protecting your 1337 turf. Ha!!

tnkgrl, you continue to astound me. Are there 3 of you or don't you sleep? Thanks again!
Mike, please correct me if I'm wrong. I don't think that there is a USB host mode on the PSP. It has a USB slave mode much like the 770, and the access is only to the memory stick (much like the 770 again).

Live via 770:

Well, like you, I await clarification!

Originally Posted by Mike Cane
Live via 770:

Well, like you, I await clarification!
Sorry, not going to edit history, but I'm not awaiting clarification any more. It's pretty much fact according to much of the browsing I've just done on the OTG spec, and the PSP's specs. Now it's just down to someone doing it.

But still...

http://www.gp32x.com/board/lofiversi...hp/t23342.html

This is nothing to be ashamed of, it's a hack that doesn't look like much fun in reality. So now I have to buy a big flash card anyway since this device cannot be accessed by the PSP or 770 while it's operating without hacks (770 gets a point since you're not going to hack USB host mode into the PSP), and then I have to use the HD device's tiny lcd screen to transfer say a movie over to said flash card. Wait... Wait... Wait... Then I get to watch said movie. Then when I'm ready to watch part 2 of the movie.... Wait.... Wait... Wait....

Please. I'm pretty sure everyone on this thread knows what you're looking for in a peripheral for the 770, but "Shame on Nokia!" for a third party having a hackish device? Save the righteous indignation for something more worthy.

David

Live via 770:

Turn on me, willya?

The entire point is that we should *all* have an easy -- or even fugly -- way to enable host mode.

That you have delved into fine print to find something else shouldn't distract from the larger point.