Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
???

Do you mean that the 367 MPG is a cheating number, that if gas tank + tailpipe, it is going to be less? I dont thank it is going to change a lot.

bun
Gallons do not exist (it's *all* electric)

Miles divided by zero would equal ???.

Originally Posted by dkwatts View Post
Gallons do not exist (it's *all* electric)

Miles divided by zero would equal ???.
Exactly ... this whole 230 and 350 MPG numbers are misleading when we are talking about a All Electric car.

The Volt does have a gas tank - the first 40 miles will be driven by electric power (full battery) and then the gas engine fires up to charge the battery, not drive the car. The car still drives by battery power.

So saying a MPG for a gas tank which is used to charge a battery is really misleading. Its marketing again. Also while the Gas charges are now phenomenally less, the electric charges are considerably higher, and I don't see that figure being out out anywhere. Its not like electricity is free.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
This guy uses both ultracapacitors and batteries for a fantastic-looking electric car that has good acceleration and which uses regenerative braking.

He makes some interesting comments about batteries:

No matter what anyone claims, just remember this: your EV will be only as good as its battery. It has always been the Achilles Heel of any EV. Needless to say, if you plan to keep your EV for a long time and have as versatile EV as possible, you should get the absolutely best battery you can afford. And trust me: being on my fourth pack and fourth charger, I can tell you that saving money on batteries and especially charger now will cost you more money, time and frustration in very near future.
Ideally, my own preference today would be this:

1. Li-Polymer battery. While still quite rare if scaled up to usable in EV size and up front expensive, at least it became available. Treated right, can be less expensive in a long run than lead acid batteries. Require sophisticated BMS (battery management system).
2. Li-Ion battery. Not as expensive and LiP battery above, but the next best thing. Technical requirements are the same as for LiP battery. Advantages (to me) are worth trying these. Require sophisticated BMS (battery management system).
3. NiNaCl Zebra battery. Expensive, looks like sold to OEM only, and limited selection (well matched to AC system requirements though).
4. NiZn battery - relatively new player on the market - comparable to NiMH and NiCd and (recently became) far less expensive.
5. NiMH battery. Not available for non-technical reasons and may never be available to you and to me.
6. NiCd battery. Realistically available from SAFT (France) or its subdivision ALCAD (Sweden). Expensive up front, but cheap over its long life time.
7. PbA Gel Cell battery - quite a few choices.
8. PbA AGM sealed deep cycle battery - quite a few choices
9. PbA flooded battery - many choices.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden View Post
Seriously, why are these guys still going with traditional batteries for their cars? Time and time again common hobbyists have proved that super capacitor battery systems are far superior to common batteries. Sheesh. They had one guy who turned a gas guzzling Hummer into a 60mpg gas sipping dream machine.
could be that they worry what capacitors at that size may get up to in a accident...

try shorting a firecracker size capacitor and then consider what something big enough to power a car for a respectable distance could do

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
What about the Saudis? War in middle East?

Just a random google, transportation accounts for more than half of global petroleum use, http://www.greencarcongress.com/2006...recasts_g.html.
Just immagine, immagine, immagine, one day, most cars, trains, vans, planes are using electric or having 367 mpg improvement, no more line up in front of the gas pump!

Another worry from thermodynamic 101, you cant create nothing from nothing, and can never win: would decrease in fossil fuels ends up in increase in electricity in a global sense? or, go back to the title, would save on gas but ends up paying a fortune on electricity? Just a thought. No. I have NOT done my homework.

Should Saudis start pumping money into advertisement, say,"USE my oil, it is prettier". HA.

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2009-08-12 at 21:21.

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Just immagine, one day, most cars, trains, vans, planes are using electric or having 367 mpg improvement, no more line up in front of the gast pump!
I ride an electric scooter around town. Search YouTube for GrampaDen.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Electric cars are better in a lot of ways, including fossil fuel usage. Some enormous number of the United States' electricity generation plants are still using coal, but an electric car that uses electricity from a coal-fired plant is still less polluting than an ICE car.

I wrote a couple of blog entries about this (a long time ago), "We Work The Black Seam" and "Coal Fired Cars, Revisited."

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 233 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ São Paulo, SP, Brasil
A slight catch on the $. The Nissen battery costs about $10,000 and I am afraid, the $20,000 car comes, like any electrical merchandise, "battery is NOT included"

Or, battery has to be leased from Nissen for "a few hundred $" a month. Well, it still green for the earth. And the cash for crunker may need some minor adjustment, say under 48 MPG

bun
Hybrid electric is the way to go. Batteries will never be as affordable as fuel. We will figure out ways to make better and renewable fuel before we build affordable batteries for things like cars.

The future is in DMF fuel cells!! (Otherwise it will be the end of the world.)

What about the Prius?

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
i suspect that the future will be a mix of systems, adapted for different usage scenarios...

Electric cars like the Prius, are however, really annoying to drive in hilly areas as they quickly run out of battery power and then you start crawling using the ICE. I can understand using electrical in a city, especially if you get free parking/no entry charges/etc.

But for driving elsewhere, petroleum spirit all the way (or an ICE that is sufficient to drive the car on its own, with electric used for short bursts of power/driving in traffic)