Active Topics

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
querty12, yup I am sure that is the fix, but I was simply reporting it to emjayes.

thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to anidel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
I appreciate your work but if I may ask, what is difference between simple launcher and this?
Well, there's three differences.
First, and most important:
Until we get to lock the home layout, you can accidentally drag 9 things around your desktop, instead of 1, for 9 times the fun!

The others are more desirable; you can lay things out arbitrarily, say vertical instead of horizontal; or cleverly integrated with your wallpaper -- I used to do that on PCs when I had too much time.

Also, you don't need an item in the menu to launch it from home...

I'm really a big personal menu fan... just give me 5 personal menus I can throw up from 5 shortcuts, and I'd be happy.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 121 | Thanked: 163 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Oulu, Finland
any of these shortcuts can be modified to run personal menu.

Code:
personal-menu &
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/hildon/personal-menu.png
Yes, the unlocked Desktop is a real pain in the a**

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
I'm really a big personal menu fan... just give me 5 personal menus I can throw up from 5 shortcuts, and I'd be happy.
Originally Posted by emjayes View Post
any of these shortcuts can be modified to run personal menu.

Code:
personal-menu &
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/hildon/personal-menu.png
Is there a way to have more than one instance of Personal Menu, so that you could have a different set of items in each instance? You could launch PM1 from a shortcut and get your media apps, launch PM2 from a different shortcut and get your web-oriented apps, etc.

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

Posts: 475 | Thanked: 771 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
For those wanting multiple PMs to use: currently the config file is hardcoded to be ~/.personal_menu.rc

There is a problem with having more than one (or, I should say more than three) Personal Menus running at once. As PM is a task navigator plugin, it needs to be loaded as one of the three plugins for your tablet. You could theoretically run three of them (after changing the code in several small ways for each one) but then you can't have anything else in your sidebar.

Maybe there needs to be a version of Personal Menu that doesn't need to load in the sidebar? Just a command with an argument specifying which configuration to use that pops up a menu? What say you?

The Following User Says Thank You to fiferboy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by fiferboy View Post
For those wanting multiple PMs to use: currently the config file is hardcoded to be ~/.personal_menu.rc

There is a problem with having more than one (or, I should say more than three) Personal Menus running at once. As PM is a task navigator plugin, it needs to be loaded as one of the three plugins for your tablet. You could theoretically run three of them (after changing the code in several small ways for each one) but then you can't have anything else in your sidebar.

Maybe there needs to be a version of Personal Menu that doesn't need to load in the sidebar? Just a command with an argument specifying which configuration to use that pops up a menu? What say you?
And the command could be launched by one of these desktop shortcut icons? Sounds good to me! Alternatively, I wouldn't mind killing off my Web-Bookmarks sidebar icon and having a second PM in which I would include those Web/Bookmark icons that I'd lose.

I'd like that arrangement in any event, but what I'm hoping to get to ultimately is a way to use one instance of PM also as a macro-typer. If you look at Posts #1, 18, and 19 in this thread, you'll see what I'm talking about. (You've given me some input on this before. I still haven't figured out how to do it. Obviously.)

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

Originally Posted by fiferboy View Post
I say: 'W00T \/\/007!!1!'

I'm currently using cmd-nav and p-menu to get two menus; the ability to have three such menus in the navigator is tempting, but not essential. Popping up p-menu from the power-key, via powerlaunch, OTOH, looks great.

Posts: 487 | Thanked: 152 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ London, UK
screenshot ? anybody ?

Applications I've made:
- Vuvuzela
- LTM: London Tube Map

The Following User Says Thank You to El Amir For This Useful Post:
Version 0.0.1.1:
-Corrected the dependencies to include hildon-desktop-python-loader and python2.5-hildondesktop.

First post now has a screenshot.

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Well, there's three differences.
First, and most important:
Until we get to lock the home layout, you can accidentally drag 9 things around your desktop, instead of 1, for 9 times the fun!
I just found a method to make them "permanent"

in xterm:
Code:
sudo gainroot
chattr +i /home/user/.osso/hildon-desktop/home-layout.conf
Now, the applets WILL move, but their state is not saved in the config.

So when, and I do mean when you have once yet screwed the desktop.
Code:
killall hildon-desktop
will restore the state it was in before setting the immutable bit to the config.

Also, you can enable new applets, but they will be in their default position in the desktop after reboot, because their position is not saved.

So to enable new applets, first reset the immutable bit,
Code:
sudo gainroot
chattr -i /home/user/.osso/hildon-desktop/home-layout.conf
enable applets and set the bit again.

To have such a function as a button in personal menu:

in /home/user/.personal_menu.rc

[10]
app name=Reset Desktop
icon name=terminal
executable=/usr/local/bin/resetdesktop

/usr/local/bin/resetdesktop

#!/bin/sh
sudo /etc/init.d/hildon-desktop stop
sudo /etc/init.d/hildon-desktop start

run visudo, add these lines:
user ALL = NOPASSWD: /etc/init.d/hildon-desktop stop
user ALL = NOPASSWD: /etc/init.d/hildon-desktop start

Last edited by emjayes; 2008-05-14 at 14:12.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to emjayes For This Useful Post: