Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 41 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Woodbridge, CT USA
So far, I've had my best luck trying to program in C++ with QT and Python with gtk. I did just port the Squeak variant of SmallTalk onto my N900 and that might be a good environment. However, I need to figure out how to tweak the squeak.image file to make it easier to read. I have also successfully loaded the Squeak-Etoys image.

Anyone interested in playing in small talk should drop me a note.

Also, as has been noted above, if you can get the source, there is a good chance you can compile it to run on the N900. I may try a few more games like that. You might also have some interesting luck with old DOS based games running in DOSBOX

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
It could, though. It would take an awful lot of work, but might actually work pretty well. At that point it would become an emulator of sorts, but all of the windows API calls would execute as native, so it might actually be pretty fast.

Probably more trouble than it's worth, but it would be a fascinating thing to see working.
What Windows API calls? CE?

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
I'm talking about all the libraries wine provides, all the functions in DLLs. If most of an app's time is spent in these library functions, the actual emulation (and performance impact) to run a win32 binary would be minimal once wine itself was ported to armel.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Wine can't run Win32 binary on armel unless there is Win32 running on armel... When you successfully boot Windows 7 (or whatever Win32 Windows) on a whatever armel device you have, then Wine will be able to work on it too.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
So far, I've not seen any mention of any 3D game engines or IDE's like Torque, Unity3D, DX Studio and the like. Do they not exist in Linux and OpenGL ES?

I'm asking because I'm unfamiliar with the Linux side of that kind of development.

Originally Posted by espringe View Post
Hi tdesws,
Sounds like a fun project! The first thing you need to know about making a game for the n900/maemo, is that it's different to your normal PC in a couple notable ways:

1. It's based on Linux, rather than Windows. Which means you'll want to lean towards Linux-style development. This also means you have a very powerful system, and have a lot of choice.

2. It's based on ARM rather than x86. This is talking about the sort of instructions the CPU uses. When making your own program from source, it's very likely going to be abstracted to the point that you don't even notice! However, it will be an issue if you try "move" a program from your PC to your N900 without recompiling it.

But the big thing is, that it's a very powerful environment that lets you do things your way. So if you're familiar with something like C or Python or C++ -- I'd recommend to just stick with that, and focus on your game!

Depending on your skills / ambitions -- I'd highly recommend having a look at Qt (and awesome toolkit written in C++). You can develop your game on what ever system you're using, and then later easily port it to your phone, or even another desktop operating system!

Good luck! The key is going to be persistance and taking small steps. Just do one small thing at a time even if you're not sure what you're going to do down the line, and if you have enough persistance you'll learn a lot and have something great.
and actually I can work with 3d, one of my friends knows c++, but I don't know would he join the team (cause he doesn't have n900, and isn't going to buy). by the way maybe anyone knows what 3d soft would be best to make graphics on n900, and won't make it lag?

Last edited by tdesws; 2009-12-28 at 12:03.

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
Wine can't run Win32 binary on armel unless there is Win32 running on armel... When you successfully boot Windows 7 (or whatever Win32 Windows) on a whatever armel device you have, then Wine will be able to work on it too.
Yeah, sorry. I guess i'm not being clear. This is a hypothetical fork of wine ("notwine" if you like) that targets armel. All the libraries "DLLs" are modified for and compiled on armel and an emulation layer runs the win32 binary and makes the calls to the notwine libraries. Because all the libraries are native, only the program code itself has to be emulated, thus achieving much superior performance than wine+win32 executable on top of an x86 emulator. I suspect most windows apps (besides D3D games) could run on the N900 this way, but it would take a lot of work--maybe even on the order of the wine project itself.

This isn't a new idea on m.o, i was just reviving it here. I didn't expect it to confuse anyone, sorry.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
So far, I've not seen any mention of any 3D game engines or IDE's like Torque, Unity3D, DX Studio and the like. Do they not exist in Linux and OpenGL ES?

I'm asking because I'm unfamiliar with the Linux side of that kind of development.
It's not a "game engine", but the amazing Ogre3D graphic engine is being ported to fremantle.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

The Following User Says Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Wine Is Not an Emulator. You have to start from scratch.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Flandry, I thanked you for the Orge3D info; however I'd have to almost guess that your path of going down the WINE/x86 Windows game dev path will invariably fail because it will require too many layers of emulation and/or wrappers to even to be considered worthwhile.

Programming to the chip (ARM) and the OS is what I'd recommend. Meanwhile, I personally have gone from DELPHI and OpenGL (flashback) to C++ and OpenGL to... well, full-fledged IDEs that help speed up the game building process.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Yea, the friend of mine won't work with c++ cause he doesn't have N900, maybe here are any people who would like to make engine? I could work with graphics, get people to make music and stuff.