Posts: 152 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Shanghai, China
Originally Posted by colnago View Post
It sounds like "features", and "Bells and whistles" and "apps" are your priorities.

Get an Android phone.

Coming from a Droid, I think you would have less complaints with that platform.
I am using Ubuntu Linux as my PC OS now.

I think it will be great if Maemo can use the softwares in Ubuntu.

Such as GIMP, Amarok/Banshee, etc.

I know my PC is x86 platform and Nokia Internet Device is ARM platform. But as I know, Ubuntu also have ARM version.
So could GNOME project team transfer these fabulous softwares to Maemo ?

The Following User Says Thank You to lanwellon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lanwellon View Post
I am using Ubuntu Linux as my PC OS now.

I think it will be great if Maemo can use the softwares in Ubuntu.

Such as GIMP, Amarok/Banshee, etc.

I know my PC is x86 platform and Nokia Internet Device is ARM platform. But as I know, Ubuntu also have ARM version.
So could GNOME project team transfer these fabulous softwares to Maemo ?
Your posted concerns seem better addressed by the Android platform. Currently, the 900 is very "Spartan", compared to Android, but yes, the 900 is more "PC-like".

The Following User Says Thank You to colnago For This Useful Post:
There is Easy Debian.. which is a full Debian port that will run under a chroot on your Phone.

You can have a full LXDE desktop running atop Maemo that allows you switch back and forth (at least, with the N810 that was possible: There maybe have been issues with the N900 that I am not sure if the second x-window was fixed or not.. you'll have to go look through the Fremantle thread.)

So yes, things like GIMP and such will run in Easy Debian if not on the device itself.

That increases the number of available apps substantially. And the current operating theory is the Maemo 6 will be QT based and all QT libraries are being updated/maintained for Maemo 5.. so apps that run in Maemo 6 should run in Maemo 5 as well. So when the next device comes out, yes - theoretically the number of apps for the N900 will increase.

Also.. it was already confirmed somewhere that the M6 device will still be OMAP-3.. which I think has a 1ghz cap.. but exact speeds I don't think are known yet.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
And BTW, I think "apps" are very important.
And Maemo do not have enough apps or games now.

I think Android looks just like Microsoft Windows in Desktop market,
having a lot of softwares and large market share.

Maemo looks more like Ubuntu in Desktop market.
less softwares and popular for geeks.

Will this happen in the future ?

Last edited by lanwellon; 2010-02-12 at 16:15.

Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
There is Easy Debian.. which is a full Debian port that will run under a chroot on your Phone.

You can have a full LXDE desktop running atop Maemo that allows you switch back and forth (at least, with the N810 that was possible: There maybe have been issues with the N900 that I am not sure if the second x-window was fixed or not.. you'll have to go look through the Fremantle thread.)

So yes, things like GIMP and such will run in Easy Debian if not on the device itself.

That increases the number of available apps substantially. And the current operating theory is the Maemo 6 will be QT based and all QT libraries are being updated/maintained for Maemo 5.. so apps that run in Maemo 6 should run in Maemo 5 as well. So when the next device comes out, yes - theoretically the number of apps for the N900 will increase.

Also.. it was already confirmed somewhere that the M6 device will still be OMAP-3.. which I think has a 1ghz cap.. but exact speeds I don't think are known yet.
OK. I see. Qt library.
So, you mean I can run Sun VirtualBox on Maemo then ?

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Oregon, USA
I think I am a geek. lol.

Please give me some suggestions. Thanks.

Should I wait Nokia Maemo 6 cellphone which should be
released on the 2nd half of 2010 ?

Can N900 upgrade to Maemo 6 when it release ?

And I even think about to buy an HTC G3 (Hero),
It seems that Android phone has much more softwares than Maemo now.

Please help to advice. Thanks.
I would make sure and do all the "research" you could possibly do to make sure this device fits your needs 100%. If you do not, then you risk getting flamed on these forums by expressing any concerns or issues you have after purchasing the device. If you do not believe me, click on about 1/5 of the threads in this forum..

OK. I see. Qt library.
So, you mean I can run Sun VirtualBox on Maemo then ?
Well, things like that need to be recompiled from the i386 CPU architecture to ARM.

If you look at Virtualbox in the debian repos you'll see:
http://packages.debian.org/lenny/virtualbox-ose

Only x86 and x64 ports are available. So no.

Any debian package that shows "armel" on the bottom is installable on the N900.. whether it runs at all, runs properly, works in a 800x400 screen, runs fast enough to not make you feel 900 years old... etc... is all entirely software dependent.

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
This.

If you want a "phone" in the sense of iPhone or Android... wait for M6 or go Android.

If you want a customizable true linux device that happens to make and receive phone calls... go the N900.
You mean Maemo 6 will be more iPhone-liked or Android-like, and cannot be custermized?

You mean Maemo 6 will be more iPhone-liked or Android-like, and cannot be custermized?
Depends what you mean by customized. Maemo 6 is definitely in the move in that direction.

Take a look here: http://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo_security

Essentially there's going to be a sort of "dual boot" scenario. On the one hand, you have a "closed" and locked down Maemo that allows information to be encrypted or stored that the user cannot access. This way opening the door for "pay" apps, DRM, hell - maybe even that "provisioning" that some people are screaming about.

And then there's an "open" mode that more resembles the Maemo of today..

I personally don't like this idea.. but it's at least the best compromise of any "normal" phone to date between people like me (I would likely *never* boot into "closed" mode.. I have had an android phone for 8 months and have not purchased a single app) and people that are iPhone fans - they want easily purchased high quality software.

At least: This is what I got by skimming it. I haven't read every slide or looked through all documents on the Maemo Summit thing.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
And BTW, I think "apps" are very important. And Maemo do not have enough apps or games now.?
Any particular need? What important app can be found from iphone store or android store that YOU would like to have on N900?

Tags
buy n900?, buy now or later?, contagious!!, do not get it!!, emeni should not buy, maemo 10 = real phone, n900 helicopter, stay away!!!, swine flu!!, wait for harmattan?, wait for meego?, wait for n920?, what's a compter?