Network based automatic time update is mobile provider dependant.

The change for summer time is programmed into the handset to happen locally, that would occur even without a sim or a network connectiom.

Openntp is the best answer, why use the mobile network clock when you can get a near direct feed from an atomic clock?

The mobile operators use ntp to set their clocks, just if the time signal gets delayed sending i do not believe they adjust, ntp does account for this.

Basically I'm saying why would you want to use network time when ntp is available?

Thats like wanting a sierra cosworth engine fitting in your ferrari f430

Not working on Velcom, Belarus.
At the same time my previous cellular Plam Treo 650 was able to do it with the same sim-card.

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 936 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by JonWW View Post
Interesting... My time setting is set to 'Not Upate Automatically' but when the clocks chaged last weekend the time was automatically updated... not what I was expecting.
DST change has nothing to do with network time. There is internal database with DST change dates in the device.

@zarf
Agreed. But network time is just a tick in the settings away and is done whenever your phone is registered in network, but OpenNTP requires installation AND internet connection.

Last edited by zlatko; 2010-04-02 at 14:04.

Originally Posted by Pfuh3z View Post
I believe there's a package in the Extras-Testing repository (standard warnings for using software from these repo's apply) called 'OpenNTPD'
BTW it's been stuck in -testing for nearly a month, so if anyone reading this feels like testing it and voting feel free :-)

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I'm sorry for this noob question but how do you configure OpenNTPD to synchronize with a specific server at a specified frequency?

Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
I'm confused what this thread is about? There is nothing wrong with Network time. NTP requires client and server and Internet access. Network time is served by the carrier and sourced from a Stratum 1 clock usually from a Satellite.
If you are not getting network time from your carrier, ring them up and ask why. I wouldn't prefer a NTP client over Network time personally. Network time is as accurate or more accurate than NTP, depending on the clock referenced. If your NTP client is referencing a Stratum 2 or 3 clock, you would most likely be worse off than the carrier network time. When I was building out carrier quality nodes, I didn't use NTP. I put Antenna's out to provide Stratum 1 clock sources for my network from Satellite sources.

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 237 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Helsinki
Even if NTP were better, network time has the advantage of knowing what the local time is. My N900 did not change the time when I traveled to France, which was annoying.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Any reason why i don't see the configuration file in Midnight Commander??? (I am looking for /etc/ntpd.conf)

EDIT: OK, I figured out that you probably need to create it.

Last edited by villo; 2010-04-20 at 16:57.