Active Topics

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
some of you are missing the good humour in his post.
relaaax

The Following User Says Thank You to afaq For This Useful Post:
Haahahah i guess that is normal for most non-techie users. Mostly they don't use all those feature that have and bought it just because other people bought it.

Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
@cortina61 - "I drive a gorgeous car"

ERROR....ERROR...
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

Posts: 110 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Brighton
I dont know anyone else who bought one I bought it to replace my beloved N95 and thought it would be a step up

am totally out of my depth with it to be honest, and I think if youre not a teccy its really hard to understand why people think its such an awesome device
I'm addicted to this forum trying to learn new things to try and fall in love with it, and learn how to make the most of it but am too scared to even open the terminal let alone have the faintest idea what i would do with it once it was open!
also its quite scary to ask advice surrounded by so many clever people on here, as it might be a silly question

I wish there was something in between this and the basic Nokia user forums as I want more than just the basics but am teriified of the extras develoment etc.
I would like to try the open office, but the debian stuff scares me, even though someone kindly explained it simply
so many people are reporting problems from tinkering and its my work phone and I'm on call 24/7 so really scared of bricking it!

( hope you're impressed with the teccy term bricking!)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cortina61 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
Originally Posted by cashclientel View Post
@cortina61 - "I drive a gorgeous car"

ERROR....ERROR...
you think the cortina is an ugly car?

take a look at this abomination. derp derp?

Posts: 110 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Brighton
@ cashclientel
lol, I dont drive a Cortina anymore, but it will always be the one I loved the most, a bit like my N95 really!

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 240 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Wiltshire, UK
Smug B****rds!

The guy paid his money and makes his OWN choice. I have never opened the x term and would fear tearing a hole in the space-time continuum or something if i did.

I USE my N900 - it's not a toy and earns its keep in my business as well as for my leisure. Sure, an E72 would be the 'sensible' choice, but the N900 is far more interesting and engaging. It has been 100% reliable and more than effective.

I have BIG respect for anyone who can manipulate their N900; that is their priviledge and their choice, but utter contempt for anyone who laughs at others like this.

Besides, mere mortals like that guy help keep the price of devices within the range of all of us.

Perhaps the smug b****rds should go work for Apple - they seem to like to restrict other people's freedom and tell them what they can and cannot do with their own devices...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NokTokDaddy For This Useful Post:
I'm not telling anyone how to use their N900, it's just funny, like someone buying a Caparo T1 and using it to get groceries.

i usually find myself in such positions owning to severe modifications done to my beloved nokia 5800, omnia hd and now n900. Although i might be the sole owner of n900 in my city but i have seen my part of "awwwee" when people see my humble 5800 and omnia hd doing things the others thought wouldnt have been possible on such platforms. The hyperx f.w. of omnia hd made some guys wonder wether m using the same fone as theirs or i got some "special" device under the same brand name.

I am legitimately curious here...

I just purchased one and am waiting on it being delivered but having read a large portion of the N900 posts on here (and messing with the SDK of it) I have a pretty good understand what the phone does and is.

If not for the Terminal, root access, and freedom to expand on... pretty much everything..... why would anyone choose (especially if they had to pay as much as us U.S. people for it) the N900 over any other phone? Be it the Android or the iPhone?

If your primary focus is making and receiving phone calls and texting.... the N900 lacks some of the normal features like making your own/different ringtones for each contact (unless this was added in a PR), no voice dialing and things of that nature.

I currently have an Android; and as a smartphone it's really quite good - and I know I'm going to Miss the new "Beta" Navigation from Google that is on my phone... that GPS turn-by-turn is *amazing* - But the ability to totally get elbow/arm/upper torso deep into messing with every single component of my phone is the reason (and only one I can think) that the N900 is worth so much money and worth replacing android for...

It just seems to me that; even assuming both were free - if my only focus was phone calls and keeping in touch with people... I think the Android phones would be a better solution for someone over the N900.. The N900 was somewhat designed to be taken advantage of.

I'm not bashing or yelling at anyone: I'm merely curious. IF you don't do much with your N900 - Why did you choose it over the plethora of other devices on the market? What made it stand out for you?
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Last edited by fatalsaint; 2010-04-22 at 14:56.

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post: