Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
It just reduces confusion fatalsaint. If the core thread closes, there's also the possibility more than one person may open a new one.

Anyway this is neither crisis nor conspiracy, contrary to some opinions...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
It just reduces confusion fatalsaint. If the core thread closes, there's also the possibility more than one person may open a new one.

Anyway this is neither crisis nor conspiracy, contrary to some opinions...
True true.. i was talking more on a "general" overview not this specific one as a "crisis".. I was just using it as an example.

But I know that, (and I probably should do this), take pyPianobar for example.. I don't maintain it anymore (replaced by pyRadio). If I requested the thread to be closed .. but someone else still downloads/uses it and comes asking a question.. they would likely expect me to answer since I'm the OP and dev of the software. If that answer never came they could get frustrated, and would end up making their own thread anyway.

Closing it eliminates the middle section of getting angry and no response, IMHO. Also, bonus points if (as should be) the final post in the thread is a redirection to whatever that thread was about's new location.

In all cases... neither crisis nor conspiracy, as you say.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,169 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ sunderland
i removed nitdroid because of it,
if you want to reply to my comment please join 'my' forum @.........

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
I don't blame them though the noise has decreased here but they get probably more time doing something useful instead of answering million similar questions a day.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Posts: 299 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Singapore
This forum is going to become awfully quiet if every app discussion moves to its own separate forum. But I guess you'll say that NITDroid is not an app but an O/S... A fine line... A separate MeeGo forum? For other O/Ss and maybe emulators?
MobiTifo (which was formerly known as QSportsEvent) - Sports leagues tracking (mainly football).

The Following User Says Thank You to magnuslu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 312 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ dubai
it was a really bad decision of djsteve to close the thread cuz nitdroid is only on maemo.

without maemo there cant be nitdroid.
this is the maemo forum.

nitdroid is only available for n900 and n800/n810.

bad decision djsteve

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by jaguilar View Post
Sygic, SPB, Instinctive and all other programs runs on Maemo, the operation system of the tablets.

Nitdroid is another operation system that runs in the tablets.

If I'm not wrong, this site is called Maemo.org.

What's the problem if the developers want to centralize the development messages about OTHER operation system in one place that they control?

Anything in T.M.O. turns into a rant and FUD or I'm so much stupid that I don't undestand?
No rant or FUD here...

I just wanted to know what the distinction is in hopes that it wasn't a trend that ultimately slows or stops development of existing threads or more importantly, affects the decisions of the developers of even newer apps from participating in our forum.

The flip side of all the recent discussions about MeeGo and the N900 are the statements that the "N900 is a reference device" and "If it doesn't work on the reference device it isn't promoted within MeeGo" (or some such).

Because of this, I believe that if anyone developing for MeeGo that wants early access to a group of people for testing and feedback who already have these "reference devices" in hand, the forums at maemo.org are the place to go. (It is something I would like to promote at least among my small group of friends and colleagues.)
...that is, unless we indicate we will be turning off the lights soon.

To all:
Prompting for clarification (IMHO) before rumors start is preventing FUD, not promoting it.

@ Textrat:
If you say I am "misleading", am motivated simply because I'm "picking fights", or even propose that I am a child molester or suttin' (which you did not, BTW, Thanks! ) and then close a thread before I can rebut as you recently did do in another discussion; then for some, I may be perceived as being just that.

However, I will not continue that discussion in another thread unless the statements that I quote (and can be easily referenced) are relevant in some way as I believed they were in my OP.

To be fair, I realize that it is difficult to maintain continuity in a discussion given the many hats you wear around here. It is equally difficult from a members standpoint.

I for one do not know if I am responding to a disgruntled forum participant (as we all can be sometimes ), a Forum Moderator (who I believe requires a higher level of regard because of the decisions they must make sometimes), or a Council Member who may or may not represent my views as a member of this organization.

Perhaps Council can prepare a "Best Guess statement" thread in the community section that will give all members a better "feeling" as to where Maemo.org will be in 3, 6, and 12 months from now.

I also realize that this may be difficult to do but I'm also thinkin' that overcoming that difficulty may be why some had called this the council term that may be the "most important" one.

SLN member # 009

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Perhaps Council can prepare a "Best Guess statement" thread in the community section that will give all members a better "feeling" as to where Maemo.org will be in 3, 6, and 12 months from now.

I also realize that this may be difficult to do but I'm also thinkin' that overcoming that difficulty may be why some had called this the council term that may be the "most important" one.
Difficult isn't strong enough. I wouldn't know where to start. But maybe other council members might.

As for the last statement, I'll give it one more shot: I believed when I ran this could be the most important term, hoped that we could have an impact and at the same time feared it could be a lame duck term. I'm just stumped as to why that has to be a point of any controversy. There is no conflict in any of those thoughts, and expressing one even in isolation does not negate or put a lie to the others.

Originally Posted by sepehrsfmech View Post
it was a really bad decision of djsteve to close the thread cuz nitdroid is only on maemo.

without maemo there cant be nitdroid.
this is the maemo forum.

nitdroid is only available for n900 and n800/n810.

bad decision djsteve
Err.. I'm not completly sure that's true. From what I've read on NITDroid it seems the only reliance on Maemo is for certain closed components that NITDroid still uses. And that reliance is decreasing as the team working on Meego continues to advance. For example, NITDroid got the cellular radio working (not for voice calls yet) because of the work being done on ofono for the vanilla Meego project on N900.

So it's more like NITDroid is dependent on the hardware (n800,n810, and N900) rather than the maemo OS.

My own personal viewpoint is that maemo.org is a dying project. Partially due to the noise to signal ratio. It gets tiring, I've stopped responding to most threads where people don't understand the idea of search. Heck I'm toying with just using the "LET ME GOOGLE THAT FOR YOU" approach. The NITdroid threads themselves were full of people asking the same bloody questions over and over.

Partially due to the fact that it's called maemo when maemo is declared a dead-end by Nokia. So in the future things will move to the Meego forums, or increasingly offsite to major projects like NITDroid as maemo is replaced with NITdroid installs or vanilla Meego installs.

Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Because of this, I believe that if anyone developing for MeeGo that wants early access to a group of people for testing and feedback who already have these "reference devices" in hand, the forums at maemo.org are the place to go. (It is something I would like to promote at least among my small group of friends and colleagues.)
...that is, unless we indicate we will be turning off the lights soon.
While I believe that may have been true in the past. I think anyone who's actually interested in testing Meego or helping out with the project would be on Meego forums, IRC, mailing lists. Not on these forums anymore.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post

As to thread closures: use Report Post to ask the moderator why he/she did so.
Thread closures are of interest to everyone who was involved in reading or posting to a given thread. Therefore, communcations about them are more appropriately handled by public messages than private interchanges thru Report Post. Also, policy about closing threads should be a matter of shared principles, not the whim of some individual moderator. Closing a thread is a fairly dramatic way of making people shut up and should not be done lightly.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post: