Posts: 91 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
I got the N900 to replaye my MSI Wind U120 (wich has built in cellular too, so i could have made calls with it.)
So for me its a Subsubnetbook. I even have a seperate Phone.
It looks like one, it's priced like one, it's made to compete in the same segment as all the others.

It's a smartphone.
It looks a bit like one. But there are few Smartphones this bulky and with built-in keyboard.
Its priced like a highend Netbook (If there is something like this). My Wind U120 did cost me about the same when it was new.
Its not made to compete in this segment, i think. Nokia has other devices wich are more like smartphones. Its its own segment, i think. So, the N900 is an N900 and nothing else.

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Mierlo, Netherlands
Exactly... I agree...
It's not a phone, it's a mobile-computer.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by ChoMar View Post
I got the N900 to replaye my MSI Wind U120 (wich has built in cellular too, so i could have made calls with it.)
So for me its a Subsubnetbook. I even have a seperate Phone.

It looks a bit like one. But there are few Smartphones this bulky and with built-in keyboard.
Its priced like a highend Netbook (If there is something like this). My Wind U120 did cost me about the same when it was new.
Its not made to compete in this segment, i think. Nokia has other devices wich are more like smartphones. Its its own segment, i think. So, the N900 is an N900 and nothing else.
- "It looks a bit like one (a smartphone)" ? Then what does it look a lot like?

- "It's priced like a high end Netbook" Yes, most higher end smartphones are priced in that region.

- "Its not made to compete in this segment, i think." Well apparently Nokia does not think like you do. Look at their n900 releases in India and China (and UK, and..)

- "Its its own segment, i think." They'd better claim that new segment quickly then. I heard it's a good marketing move when a company is the first to do something. It's a selling point.

ps: Given n900's phone 'performance', then I think you've made a good choice in having a separate phone to do the proper job.

------

Edit:

Technically, all phones and smartphones are "mobile computer" anyway. They can run custom codes, some are more restricted than the other.

The best you can claim is "it's a generally more open smartphone than the current competitions". Still, it doesn't make a good excuse for not performing as well as the others in the basic functions and features that smartphones are generally benchmarked with.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Last edited by ysss; 2010-10-08 at 07:59.

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Do you know -any- mobile phones that can do this? That can even -run- a 3D MMORPG?

Sure, it doesn't run well, but the fact that it runs is a step above any other phone I've seen.

Really though, its essentially a small tablet with a wireless broadband modem and phone app. It's got a signifigant amount of power in a tiny package with better battery life than most laptops.

For me, I use it as an ebook reader, web-browser and media player. It has a lot more features, but by far, the fact that you have a desktop-style webbrowser crammed into a 4" device is extremely nice.

Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
And now we can play Wagic!

Posts: 205 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ manila, philippines
imho its both... its a communicator since its a nokia.

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
ps: Given n900's phone 'performance', then I think you've made a good choice in having a separate phone to do the proper job.
I just don't get this anymore when I see it. Having had my N900 for several months now.. it's all I use for my phone and it does just fine for me.

*shrug*

On topic: The only thing that makes the N900 more of a mobile computer is the OS IMHO. Technically Android and the iPhone 4 (has to be 4, no one will ever convince me a phone that can't multi-task is a mobile computer..) could be considered one but their OS just screams "mobile phone" as that is completely what they are designed around.. the phone. Plus.. an entire Java-based desktop OS is just... an ugly thought. The N900's OS is more closely related to Desktop and Laptop OS's already established on the market. The multi-tasking sub-system isn't hampered, altered, or screwed with any way to try and "optimize" the "phone" experience by automatically picking random targets and killing them, or closing them into 'save states' to save on memory.

Some may think the latter is a good thing for a phone, I don't necessarily disagree, but it would be horrible on a mobile computer.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 91 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
- "It looks a bit like one (a smartphone)" ? Then what does it look a lot like?
Dont know. Looks like an N900, supporting my stance that it is its own segment. *g*

- "Its its own segment, i think." They'd better claim that new segment quickly then. I heard it's a good marketing move when a company is the first to do something. It's a selling point.
I dont think that "Devices for Geeks wich may not be the best choice for the average Customer" is a good Segment.
The reason is a bit different. I dont treat my mobile phone very well, because i have it ALWAYS with me. If you have seen what happens in DIscos, during heavy work (only in my free time, i have an office job *g*) or just by a bit of laziness to a Phone in your Pocket... lets just say, a phone the Size (with bigger size comes less stability) of the N900 would be destroyed within weeks. I even doubt that a smaller Smartphone would survive in my pocket.
i have my N900 with me MOST of the Time. But when it gets "rough" i leave it at home. So my N900s SIM wont even allow me to make calls. So i dont care if you can use the N900 as a phone. I only use the cellulare for everywhere-internet. Was the same with my Wind U120. You COULD have made a Phone Call with it too. It had Cellular Network built in. But i never called someone from my U120 or received a call or something. Just Internet. And the N900 is better because it fits in my pocket. Well, the Screen is a bit small, but until someone finally develops something new, thats a common side effect of "fitting in my pocket".

Technically Android and the iPhone 4 (has to be 4, no one will ever convince me a phone that can't multi-task is a mobile
Almost. The Keyboard is another point. The rest of the HW has about the same functionality as most Android Phones.

Originally Posted by ChoMar View Post
Almost. The Keyboard is another point. The rest of the HW has about the same functionality as most Android Phones.
Good point.. so the iPhone fails due to the keyboard. Android has several keyboard phones though.. so for Android it's really the OS that makes the difference, IMHO.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 240 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Wiltshire, UK
Last night my N900 was my torch. This morning it was my camera. This afternoon it was my dictaphone. - does any of that make it less of a smartphone, or allow it to be 'excused' certain smartphone functionalities or performance?

Nope. And neither does the fact that it's a pretty effective computer, either.

N900 really is a rose by any other name.

Tags
communicator, computaphone!, foad abill, its a computer!, its a phone!