Active Topics

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
So that was it. I don't trust them any more. I paid for a stretch goal to achieve standard-compliant SD-support >32GB. (For non-standard solutions like Ext4, no stretch goal would have been needed. They work already, many people use them today on their Jolla phones.)

Can somebody please tell me what my money was used for? Certainly not for the advertised goal. So what reason would I have to trust them with this new campaign? You pay for an alleged 64GB version, and in 2 months they decide that the whole thing got a re-design again and doesn't need that much memory any more because of whatever clever software design trick. You paid for 64GB on Indiegogo? No money back, sorry.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
No money back, sorry.
It seems that there is no direct way to refund money via IndieGoGo; however, you will be able to return the tablet to Jolla within 14 days of receiving it: https://together.jolla.com/question/...ge-and-refund/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
So that was it. I don't trust them any more. I paid for a stretch goal to achieve standard-compliant SD-support >32GB. (For non-standard solutions like Ext4, no stretch goal would have been needed. They work already, many people use them today on their Jolla phones.)

Can somebody please tell me what my money was used for? Certainly not for the advertised goal. So what reason would I have to trust them with this new campaign? You pay for an alleged 64GB version, and in 2 months they decide that the whole thing got a re-design again and doesn't need that much memory any more because of whatever clever software design trick. You paid for 64GB on Indiegogo? No money back, sorry.
I'm assuming this is a bit of tounge-in-cheek, but that is a problem, once they announced the goal and it was achieved, you will find people who were actually looking forward to it and less vocal than the minority that went with 'linux/FOSS/... is better than usability'. Just another example of 'can't make everyone happy', lets hope they have some simple solution prepared for people who would like their tablet to be able to accept all kinds of cards, without going into world-view disputes

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side

Add to that, I paid for 3G that was never on the table like ubuntu edge which was refunded in full. Instead two fake stretch goals. I want my money back and buy a$200 kebab instead.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Did anybody investigate what would it take to enable exfat support "unofficially" ? There is at least one GPLed exfat driver and while I understand why Jolla might not be able/willing to ship it themselves, that does not mean users can't do that themselves.

From a cursory look it appears to be quite easy to do:

On Fedora, Mageia and ArchLinux
How To Install exFAT-utils on Fedora 20/19/18/17, Mageia 4 And Arch Linux

exfat-fuse RPM on RPM Fusion

On Ubuntu
How to get a drive formatted with exfat working?
How to enable exFAT in Ubuntu 14.04

That would enable interoperability for users able & willing to do the needed change on their own, without Jolla a substantial sum of money for what basically amounts to a tiny additional "supports SDXC" sticker on the box with the tablet.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,717 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
I want my money back and buy a$200 kebab instead.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Also gps seems to have dissapeard since last year. What about gps/glonass?
What about reading :
https://jolla.com/tablet
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/j...ourced-tablet/
both cite "GPS - Yes, support Glonass".
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
I'm assuming this is a bit of tounge-in-cheek,
It's not.

Originally Posted by szopin View Post
Just another example of 'can't make everyone happy', lets hope they have some simple solution prepared for people who would like their tablet to be able to accept all kinds of cards, without going into world-view disputes
It's not that simple. It's not just another example of 'can't make everyone happy'. They effectively withdrew a strech goal after it was reached and after people paid for it, keeping the money. They might as well cancel the whole tablet (which was the first goal). That's the risk of crowd funding, I'm aware of that, but that's not the point. The point is they announced something and canceled it after they had the money. This has nothing to do with keeping everyone happy.

This is also why further technical discussions about solutions to achieve half-legal SDXC-compatibility are off topic here. I have exFAT on my GNU/Linux desktop computer, so there should be a way to get in running on a GNU/Linux tablet. (I even think I saw it in one of the repositories once.) The technical solution doesn't affect the moral debacle, though.

Last edited by benny1967; 2015-01-29 at 20:43.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
I paid for a stretch goal to achieve standard-compliant SD-support >32GB.
To be fair, you didn't pay for a stretch goal, you paid for a tablet. Said stretch goal also never mentioned anything about using a specific kind of filesystem format:
Goal #1 - $1,500,000: MicroSDHC support up to 128GB

Once we reach the first goal, every Jolla Tablet will be upgraded to support microSDHC cards up to 128GB! You’ll never have to worry about running out of space again. Currently Jolla Tablet supports cards up to 32GB, besides having 32GB internal storage.
When that goal was reached, a poll was made on TJC, where reaction to a proprietary filesystem was lukewarm at best.

This is not to say that that stretch goal wasn't silly from the beginning.

However, again, as long as the SD card remains inside the tablet, you never, ever, need to worry about which filesystem the SD card uses (and why would you take out the SD card anyway, it's so small it would get lost immediately). It's the one good thing about MTP. If someone has an OS that doesn't have proper support for MTP, maybe they should consider switching to something that isn't ten years old.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
It's not.

It's not that simple. It's not just another example of 'can't make everyone happy'. They effectively withdrew a strech goal after it was reached and after people paid for it, keeping the money. They might as well cancel the whole tablet (which was the first goal). That's the risk of crowd funding, I'm aware of that, but that's not the point. The point is they announced something and canceled it after they had the money. This has nothing to do with keeping everyone happy.

This is also why further technical discussions about solutions to achieve half-legal SDXC-compatibility are off topic here. I have exFAT on my GNU/Linux desktop computer, so there should be a way to get in running on a GNU/Linux desktop. (I even think I saw it in one of the repositories once.) The technical solution doesn't affect the moral debacle, though.
Yeah, why I think it is 'can't make...' is that we should be getting a lot of 'HURRAHs' from the loud ones, don't see that much sadly in tjc, usually unhappy ones are vocal (pretty sure know of one person who would in normal circumstances applaud this decision, but based on personal vendetta will probably just use it to tell people 'Jolla LIES'). Yeah, the 'we listen to community, while goals are already being achieved' was a bad idea, will just give ammo. Still, if it is software only and one click solution from openrepos will enable sdxc, hopefully there will be not a lot of bad blood

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:

Tags
indiegogo, jolla, jolla tablet