Are you sure that it's not for "unlimited"? I only have basic account.

Originally Posted by brontide View Post
SERO specifically prohibits PAM ( phone as modem ) and you can't even add it as an option. You may be able to get away with it on a small number of phones. See howardforums wiki on the subject.
Check ITT first.

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
Originally Posted by dkwatts View Post
Check ITT first.
http://wiki.howardforums.com/index.p...e_to_tether.3F

Can I use my phone to tether?

PAM is NOT available with SERO (Although some people fly under the Radar with Tethering for free with a Samsung disable DUN). A few phones can indeed tether undetected. Some of the smart phones (like the Palm 700wx/p) can tether after downloading some simple software found HERE. Other phones such as the a900m can do the same with a simple hack. Instructions on how to tether with your PPC6700 are found HERE. A hack for the 700p/755p can be found HERE(advanced user hack!).

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
In case noone noticed T-mobile is OUT for new subscribers getting inexpensive plans with tethering. XOHM is looking better.
PLEASE use the Wiki

Posts: 109 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ NYC, NY
Originally Posted by gemniii42 View Post
In case noone noticed T-mobile is OUT for new subscribers getting inexpensive plans with tethering. XOHM is looking better.
This is news to me. I've got a Samsung X820 and signed up for the "web" service, tethering works fine. (For all the glory of GSM/EDGE, haven't heard much about the 3G yet)

XOHM is in, what, 2 cities, with 5 planned? None of which happen to be the city I'm in (NYC).

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by fattomm View Post
This is news to me. I've got a Samsung X820 and signed up for the "web" service, tethering works fine. (For all the glory of GSM/EDGE, haven't heard much about the 3G yet)
If by "web", you are referring to their WML stuff, then yes that is still cheap. T-Mobile did recently raise their data rates for their unrestricted Internet service.

Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
If by "web", you are referring to their WML stuff, then yes that is still cheap. T-Mobile did recently raise their data rates for their unrestricted Internet service.
It's the "MobileWeb" service - about $5.99 in NY area. While there are proxies involved, I don't believe it is WML (for example; stuff like Google comes through in their full non-mobile mode). I think IMAPS/POP3S are left open (but it looks like other ports are closed down).

I was trying to get ahold of their Internet prices -- but since "my phone can't do it", they won't even show me the prices (sheesh ....)

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
here's the thread link at hofo
http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...&page=17&pp=30

Some peeps seem to be getting it, most not. However some have read their new terms and it seems they are not allowing tethering per TOS without a data plan.

And I happen to live in a WiMax area.
PLEASE use the Wiki

Originally Posted by gemniii42 View Post
here's the thread link at hofo
http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...&page=17&pp=30

Some peeps seem to be getting it, most not. However some have read their new terms and it seems they are not allowing tethering per TOS without a data plan.

And I happen to live in a WiMax area.
I thought, that other than approved plans & phones, they didn't allow tethering (I thought the T-Mobile "card" was the only one that allowed tethering for like $49.99/mo). Anyway; if you don't get a vendor-phone (any carrier's mangled OS), tethering was a snap.

Regardless; the EDGE speeds are starting to feel creaky. I've been hoping 3G deployment will be more solid in NYC, and that I can buy a HTC independently ....

I was looking, as well, at WiMax as a potential alternative to my ISP at home -- no carriers in the city it appears (well, not anything realistic for home use ...), Keeping my fingers crossed ....

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by ch8xy View Post
For someone who has access to wifi most of the time and need internet access on rare occasions where wifi is unavilable, the cheapest solution would be Boostmobile. For around $7 per month ($3.5 if "$10 for 3 months" reboost can be found) you get some minutes (which I don't use) and free internet access through iDEN network. You get dial-up speed, not broadband, but I used it exclusively (no wifi connection) on a 2 week vacation recently and managed to get connected, patiently
Can you please tell me what phone/plan you have? I am leaving for China in 24 hr, I plan to do Boingomobile and the )&*(&)(^^% is close for Thanksgiven not till next week! what a jerk....

I plan to buy PCCW/HK and ChinaMobile/China and I got a triband phone and is working. I also got a gophone with the Atnt. But it is 100% not working. It works and tether to the tablet and get on net instantly, but even just to load a webpage, you are paying minute time of $.25 per min and dataplan of $.01 per kilo, just to load page is $5....and easily run over $50 just to look at a few site, not even dl. That plan is ridiculous. and unlimited data plan is NOT available to gohone.

bun

bun