Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
Memory and Cpu does not rely on each other.. if you don't mean the swap which i do not think you do. The n900 is not a windows machine..

If the "uninstalling program" made the n900 feel faster it has to have been a bad program that caused the feeling. Maybe it had a bug or made updates of something that took cpu. As long as you don't fill up the rootfs completely it should not be a problem. A linux machine do not slow down with time like a windows machine.. thats the only logical explanation..

Last edited by AlMehdi; 2010-04-12 at 03:51.

Posts: 604 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Phoenix, WA
Originally Posted by SavageD View Post
Even though they aren't doing anything they are still taking up space/memory on the device....
Ok, sounds good. Installing apps into this space/memory dictates how many more you can install, obviously you will run out of space if keep installing, more and more... But why does this space/memory have anything to do with how quickly/smoothly the phone runs?

Posts: 604 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Phoenix, WA
Originally Posted by AlMehdi View Post
Memory and Cpu does not rely on each other.. if you don't mean the swap which i do not think you do. The n900 is not a windows machine..

If the "uninstalling program" made the n900 feel faster it has to have been a bad program that caused the feeling. Maybe it had a bug or made updates of something that took cpu. As long as you don't fill up the rootfs completely it should not be a problem. A linux machine do not slow down with time like a windows machine.. thats the only logical explanation..
...own3d...

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
A linux machine do not slow down with time like a windows machine..
This one does...

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I don't think there is one answer. Try this test.

1. Backup all programs.

2. Flash and eMMC flash your N900.

3. Restore all programs.

I predict you will see a noticeable speedup, DESPITE THE FACT THAT YOU HAVE INSTALLED THE SAME NUMBER OF PROGRAMS.

This shows that the slowdown is not caused by the number of programs you have installed, but by other factors.

I have noticed that the amount of rootfs space seems to impact speed. So I close all or most of the catalogs available in App Mgr, giving me more rootfs. This seems to result in a speedup.

For other tips on rootfs, see the Wiki.

Maybe it had a bug or made updates of something that took cpu. As long as you don't fill up the rootfs completely it should not be a problem. A linux machine do not slow down with time like a windows machine.. thats the only logical explanation..
lol, are you serious?

Swap requires memory and cpu. You take away cpu, It leaves you with no performance. You take away memory and you have nothing. Cpu processes memory/data. o_O seriously do I need to go any further than this?

If the "uninstalling program" made the n900 feel faster it has to have been a bad program that caused the feeling.
Not nescessarily, it could also be a hardware fault. Low memory, and a not so powerful processor.

Maybe it had a bug or made updates of something that took cpu. As long as you don't fill up the rootfs completely it should not be a problem.
Didn't you just say that "Memory and Cpu does not rely on each." Are you contradicting your self?

A linux machine do not slow down with time like a windows machine.. thats the only logical explanation.
lemme get this straight? Linux = Immortal? No doubt that linux is better than windows but come on man...this is simply illogical. I'm not even going to provide an explanation.

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
lol, are you serious?

Swap requires memory and cpu. You take away cpu, It leaves you with no performance. You take away memory and you have nothing. Cpu processes memory/data. o_O seriously do I need to go any further than this?
Thats why i mentioned the swap.. as something that rely on both cpu and memory. Please read and understand before you say something.

Not nescessarily, it could also be a hardware fault. Low memory, and a not so powerful processor.
Yes, but he said it got better when he uninstalled programs.

Didn't you just say that "Memory and Cpu does not rely on each." Are you contradicting your self?
Ohh.. here you understood.. and In a way.. yes. The swap exists so you don't have to rely on the "real" memory space. Swap is more like ram. A partition you can't save anything on. You can however fill it up but it's not likely.

lemme get this straight? Linux = Immortal? No doubt that linux is better than windows but come on man...this is simply illogical. I'm not even going to provide an explanation.
I have used the same machine for 4 years and have not yet experienced an slowdown. When i had windows.. i formated it every 6 month..

I do not know if you have owned a computer with linux as OS. I have. Linux will not save the world from war and not either from famine.. but it will save you from a lesser OS.

Thats why i mentioned the swap.. as something that rely on both cpu and memory. Please read and understand before you say something.

Yes, but he said it got better when he uninstalled programs.
I was just tryna help. Although it's quite obvious, I was not I wasn't tryna address his problem directly. Just giving him a general idea as to why his 'installed' apps are slowing down his device.

Ohh.. here you understood.. and In a way.. yes. The swap exists so you don't have to rely on the "real" memory space. Swap is more like ram. A partition you can't save anything on. You can however fill it up but it's not likely.
???I already know what ram and swap is. All your doing here is concentrating on swap and trying to change the topic. You main argument was that:

Memory and Cpu does not rely on each other
This is the point I was addressing. why dont you stick this argument, and stop trying to focusing on swap, lol. I'm yet to see some valid arguments to your main point.

I have used the same machine for 4 years and have not yet experienced an slowdown. When i had windows.. i formated it every 6 month..
I'm sorry, I can't take your word for it as mine does have slowdowns, so does every linux system at my university . They all have had slow downs over the past yrs. trust me I know. I have to program on them >_>. No linux machine can age without having slowdowns, nuff said.

Posts: 63 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ greece
I'll try put in all in baby words...

why does installing more applications 'slow' down a phone?

It can't be helped it's simply logic. Every action has a consequence.

The more apps you install, the device looses more memory/cpu power. By logic the less memory/cpu power your device has, the more it's performance would decrease. It's inevitable.

When it comes to clocking. More volts = more energy. Everything requires energy to move. The more energy you have available, the more it increases the chance of the device being able to move effeciently.

However everything can only hold energy up to a certain point. You have to much energy and you begin to malfunction. If you overclock the device too much and you would damage/destroy it.

In the end it all comes down to logic.
let me put it in baby words ...

simple logic cant be apllyed

the nubmer of apps installed , if not running in back round and if they didnt install
a service runing in backround WILL NOT EFFECT THE RESPONSIVENES of the device.

usualy its the heat produced by OC that destroys/damages things .

As for the original post , since you say that removing apps makes things normal , try installing all apps you want one by one and check the device tell it slows down .
then remove the app that causes problems.
i have more than 50-60 apps installed and the device runs like new.

Last edited by on3st4b; 2010-04-12 at 05:31.

I'm gonna zip past everything else in here as it's either subjective, misinformed, or a diagnosed bug.

--

Applications that have been installed but are not running cannot have an impact on how responsive the device is. Only active applications can have an impact, and it will be on one of the following:
- CPU Utilization
- RAM usage
- Disk IO

If you think a recently installed application is causing the slowdown, you should see a speedup after uninstalling it. It would be easier to identify the "issue" if you could describe when it occurs and what you are doing.

usualy its the heat produced by OC that destroys/damages things .
No, the damage due to forcing electrons through the copper interconnects inside the CPU at a higher clock rate will be far greater, as you (hopefully) aren't trying to run games and other cpu-intensive software for long periods. You shouldn't be overclocking anyway, that's the only thing I've ever seen people from Nokia ever say "don't do it, -that- will void your warranty."

Last edited by wmarone; 2010-04-12 at 05:35.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post: