Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by OrangeBox View Post
The number of sites run on a web server platform doesn't make the web server platform any better.

Nobody runs commercial software on Apache.
Maemo.org, Amazon, Google (gws optimized Apache), CNN, WhiteHouse.gov...
Yanno.. a bunch of nobody companies.

I love the smell of flame-bait in the morning. It smells like idiocy.

Banned | Posts: 291 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Dec 2009
OK, so for the Apache crowd out there:

Name a bank, insurance company, major online retailer, a government agency or anything that of high importance that uses Apache.

All Apache is doing is serving dumb HTML pages. It is good for nothing but that. Each serious site that has Apache as a front facing web server has another real web server doing the heavy lifting in the middle-tier: IIS, WebSphere, Weblogic. Pick your poison.

That's why all those stats are skewed. Apache is nothing but a very simple fast web-server that on its own is good for nothing. It always has to rely on some commercial middle-tier.

Absoultely false. Firefox is nowhere near in adoption levels and overall stability to IE8.
Considering Microsoft has a natural advantage of having it default on Windows (the most common desktop/laptop operating system out there) and Firefox has around 25% of the marketshare I'd say that it's exceeded. Especially since its next nearest commercial competitor Opera is at a distant 2%. That's not even factoring in extensions that can extend the browser with useful features (one of my favorite ones is Zotero, comes in handy with writing papers).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Last edited by Laughing Man; 2010-01-08 at 20:47.

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Considering Microsoft has a natural advantage of having it default on Windows (the most common desktop/laptop operating system out there) and Firefox has around 25% of the marketshare I'd say that it's exceeded. Especially since its next nearest commercial competitor Opera is at a distant 2%. That's not even factoring in extensions that can extend the browser with useful features (one of my favorite ones is Zotero, comes in handy with writing papers).
Not to be picky, but Opera has 3% overall market share (2% for the desktop version and 1% for the mobile version). Of course, it depends on how it's counted, but generally browser statistics aren't divided into "desktop" and "mobile".

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/02/i...t-share-recor/

Originally Posted by Dak View Post
@OrangeBox

Wow. You're just determined to collect signs today, aren't you?

Here's your sign....again

PS. Hey, why don't you tell us all about the superior stability & security of Windows versus linux? Nobody uses linux except for hobbyists and people seeking extra-terrestrial life, so it's gotta be crap.
Sure, here you go: Windows 7 beats any and all Linux distros.

Windows Server 2008 beats all Linux servers.

Total percentage of human beings using Linux as their choice of Desktop OS: 1%

Really? I thought that Apache was used mainly by the Mickey Mouse web site developers. Most companies use IIS because they already have the Windows infrastructure.
Who do you work for?

I haven't seen a company use IIS in a *long* time. Even on their windows servers they use apache and tomcat for windows.

BUT .. just in case you knew more than me I googled..

http://news.netcraft.com/archives/we...er_survey.html

Oh gee... Apache has Top Market share across all domains.

Not only that.. but Apache has 53%, with IIS second place at only 24%. Damn.. even I didn't think it was that bad.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
All Apache is doing is serving dumb HTML pages. It is good for nothing but that. Each serious site that has Apache as a front facing web server has another real web server doing the heavy lifting in the middle-tier: IIS, WebSphere, Weblogic. Pick your poison.

That's why all those stats are skewed. Apache is nothing but a very simple fast web-server that on its own is good for nothing. It always has to rely on some commercial middle-tier.
Not at all, there's a lot you can do with pure Apache (or using PHP, perl, etc for dynamic page generation). If you need a middle tier, there's Apache Tomcat, or JBoss. No need for anything commercial in there.

Originally Posted by Dak View Post
You're a treasure, OrangeBox.....the gift that keeps on giving.

Here's another sign for ya...
Don't feed the troll.

Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
Who do you work for?

I haven't seen a company use IIS in a *long* time. Even on their windows servers they use apache and tomcat for windows.

BUT .. just in case you knew more than me I googled..

http://news.netcraft.com/archives/we...er_survey.html

Oh gee... Apache has Top Market share across all domains.

Not only that.. but Apache has 53%, with IIS second place at only 24%. Damn.. even I didn't think it was that bad.
Read my prev. post about why the web server stats are skewed.