Notices

FM Radio has auto scan feature. You just need to press the arrow on either side for a little longer.

I would prefer to have a database in which stations and their locations would be available for download. Also GPS could be used to automatically download correct list for that exact location.

The Following User Says Thank You to Hoxzer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Thanks for the tips about scanning!

Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
ROFL. Click this link but I must warn you: the near-emptiness of the page combined with the white background may blind your eyes if you're browsing in the dark...
Augh! My eyes! It burns...

Sigh.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by travik View Post
- the ability to download a list of stations in your area and have the presets added automatically
You might vote for enhancement request 7966, "Add a selectable list of radio stations - download list".

Originally Posted by cjp View Post
But it would be nice to have a digital version as well where searching for stations was a little more like what we're probably all used to.
If it's a direct jump to a known frequency you're after, you might vote for enhancement request 10434, "Cannot enter frequency with keyboard". Otherwise, you may need to open a new enhancement request.

Originally Posted by cjp View Post
The program could also use an extra piece of code switching off Bluetooth once I close the application!
The application should be doing that already, though there's a bug still open for the issue. You could update that with the specific scenario in which it fails for you.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rebhana View Post
Indeed: where is the love?

Somebody from this community was able to produce this nice app, which I found just amazing to be possible at all, and there is absolutely zero gratitude in the OP.
Absolutely agree - we should be very grateful to Martin (pycage) for the application. I don't even want to start wondering why Nokia decided not to port the FM radio app to Freemantle.

What I am more interested in, though, is how we can support Martin in improving the application. A few months ago an interesting thread involving both pycage and tomaszd was exploring further developments to the application, but nothing happened since the last update in March, despite hints at future features already planned.

I think if the interest from the community is there, we can politely ask the main contributors how we could support their efforts...

It looks like there's an FCC database for US stations, is there a wiki or anything for stations?

Posts: 345 | Thanked: 467 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Germany
Are there truly so few of us that enjoy listening to the good old fashioned radio? Why is the FM radio player app for the n900 so barebones, and why does no one seem to care about it? Who even wrote the app? Is anyone maintaining it (when I click 'about' in the app it doesn't show anything)?
I, being a developer myself, feel very offended by this kind of posting and even the thread title itself.

This guy has sure spent many hours writing this tens of thousands of people are using his app. I assume that he might have gotten the same amount of donations for his apps as i got for my apps which is a total of somewhere below $100.

Guys, what do you expect?

I'd love to claim I'd do them myself if given access to the source but I lack the time/skillz.
You don't want to give a helping hand, you don't even want to waste your own time, you don't want to donate anything. Heck, you don't even ask politely for these things.

What's your goal? To piss of the few remaining maemo developers? What do you expect to happen if you mouth your request in such a manner? Do you really think a developer will say "Oh, wait this guy is seriously pissed by the software i gave him for free. I should really fix this asap". Do you really think this will happen?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Master of Gizmo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Master of Gizmo View Post
This guy has sure spent many hours writing this tens of thousands of people are using his app. I assume that he might have gotten the same amount of donations for his apps as i got for my apps which is a total of somewhere below $100.
Way below $100 for all my opensource projects together (I publish opensource software since 2003). Money cannot be the incentive or I wouldn't write code in my sparetime. Special thanks to the one donator for MediaBox! (you know who you are )

Yes, it's true, FM Radio lacks features and development. I have some plans but I also need time for this. And I write other apps besides FM Radio (MediaBox e.g.) so the time I can spend on one app at a time is not much.

Anyway, FM Radio is opensource software. I would be happy to accept patches for improvement. Why do most opensource projects have to be one-man-shows? My time is limited.

But I can assure you, FM Radio is not dead, just sleeping.
Help, criticism, suggestions, donations are always welcome.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
BTW to the OP: you can see history of the app on the package page.

I did a brief search for online radio station databases by lat/lon and couldn't find a free one. The most compehensive database might be this one: http://www.radio-locator.com, but to access lat/lon data requires licensing (i.e. paying). Without a freely-accessible database with lat/lon, how would the station download be implemented generally?

This link might be useful to those using the transmitter to broadcast to their auto stereo system.

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?

Sorry for the double post, but i've been using FM Radio today and for the first time received calls while i had it active. Every time a call has come in there has been a problem that in most cases made the mic of the headset not work, had the radio still playing in one earpiece, and locked up FM Radio such that it couldn't be closed or reactivated. The fifth time a call came and this happened, i couldn't restart FM Radio after killing it: it said the FM radio driver was unavailable and i rebooted.

Has anyone else had trouble with receiving calls while using FM Radio?

Posts: 5 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
This happen too me yesterday, both me and the caller thoguht the problem was at the callers end but now I`m not sure. I could hear her but she couldnīt hear me. I dontīt think this was the first time I received a call whlie listening too the radio but maybe this was the first time receiving a call while listening too the radio with PR 1.2 installed, just a thought.

My biggest problem with the radio app is that the sound disappears when doing anything with the N900 like surfing the web, recieving a sms or mms, opening another app. Sometimes the sound will come back but most of the times I have too close the radio app and start it up again too make the sound appear.

A minor problem and I do mean minor is that after using the radio app and you restart your N900 the bluetooth will be active but not visible.

I still would give this app 7/10 and it is worth downloading.