Active Topics

Originally Posted by lanwellon View Post
MeeGo handset will be releaed on 2011H1.

It is too late !

At that time, iOS and Android will be even stronger.

Plus, WP7 will also rises.

WebOS and BlackBerry OS will be the supporting role on smartphone market in the future.

Back to MeeGo,
The corpration between NOKIA and INTEL is not that good.

NOKIA will not open their UI on N9 to INTEL, and INTEL only want to sell x86 CPUs. Supporting ARM is just to get NOKIA involved.

x86 MeeGo phone will release on 2011Q4.
There will be no chance at that time.

Intel do not need MeeGo necessarily.
It welcome Apple to use x86 CPU.

The only result I can see now is ofono and connman.

IMO,
NOKIA is now struggling, but will not be a main game player in the future on smartphone market.

Symbian is not good enough, MeeGo is too slow, I cannot see any hope.
The only real trouble Meego has will be Android (and Windows Phone 7 depending on how stringent Microsoft is about licensing it out to others). Since those are the competitors that remove Meego's strongpoint (that any company could adopt it and use it).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 291 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on May 2010 @ France
Meego will be the most powerfull open source OS based on Linux ever made :

- MeeGo phones are in the works
- MeeGo tablets will also come (except wetab already exist)
- Netbooks and Internet-connected TVs (IPTVs).
- Cars with MeeGo-powered entertainment systems
- MeeGo will be incorporated in places as diverse as digital signs, kiosks and ATMs.
and Fisher said Intel is in talks with at least one other company. So Meego therefore could be used by other major phone brands and computers cies.

Briefly, personally I'm not worried about the future of Meego.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by AMLJ View Post
... But MeeGo is also for N900....
Only for that statement: N900 does NOT count.

1) From Nokia side: N900 has been discontinued
2) From N900 user side: We dont have a choice. It is the only upgrade that is available for N900 owners, be it me-go, u-go, he-go, N900 owners look at it as a NineHundred-go, i.e., N900 users' take is NOT a vote of embrace/approval/recommendation. It is a natural progression.

bun

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by dtergens View Post
Correction, Optima OP5-E is running Maemo :

http://armdevices.net/2009/12/06/opt...-video-review/

And Meego will be like Skynet, you will find Meego everywhere, then the end of the world is coming soon

Hey, is this thing REAL? I thought it is a fluke. maemo with CDMA = fluke, right? Full discussion at forum.... "Problem with loading page". Anybody has more info on this? I am curious about maemo on nonNokia product. On a side topic, since Nokia no longer develope/interest maemo, would Nokia be interested to licence Maemo out? just a thought

bun

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by mmurfin87 View Post
  • Music - Comes With Music / Ovi Music
  • Gaming - NGage
  • Internet Browsing - Maemo devices
  • Personal Information Management - Long history of Symbian E devices
  • Core Calling Features - This has always been Nokia's core strength
  • Applications - Ovi Store and Qt Development SDK
- "Comes with Music" may be good. Depending on price point.

- If "Nokia NGage" is as big a brand as "Sony PSP" or ""Nintendo DS", then that would be a valuable name to tag on. Perhaps it is on some markets (latin america? africa? sony and nintendo covers usa and aspac very well in this department), but universally it isn't. So I don't see the added value here...

- PIM? As long as they carry over the features and advantages of their past versions. Unfortunately, they didn't do this on maemo 5. Look at Modest for crying out loud ;(

Lacking that integration and inclusiveness on DAY 1, and MeeGo will fail.
I agree that it will at least fail against the press reviews.

To be honest I think that each of your cons is far more negative than all of your positives combined.
Yes, that was my point...

Nokia still does have the biggest market reach though. If they make a homerun, they have a chance to make a fairly quick rebound?

If they can link their app store to the customers' phone bill and still make the prices reasonable, they can overstep Android Market and Apple's AppStore by a few steps ahead.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
IMO, MeeGo can become very successful but nly if Nokia and Intel (and others) will be serious about it.
There are still a lot of people not too happy about Android/iOS/Symbian so the OS that are out now certainly aren't perfect, which means there is room for MeeGO to be better than the competition in at least some areas. Nokia should be very aware of this, and stress the points in which MeeGo would be miles ahead of its competition. What MeeGo really needs, I think, is an appealing line up of devices. There should be a choice of devices like hardware keyboard vs only touchscreen, 3.x inch screen vs 4.x inches etc. Nokia had better make the Ui appealing to the masses as well. If you want to convince people to adopt a new OS you're not going to succeed with impressive specs alone, eye candy is important.

I'm very curious whether or not this will actually happen. Nokia had better be very excited when they officially announce MeeGo and the device that is going to run it, because if Nokia doesn't seem to be excited about it, why would I be?

Last edited by BRooster; 2010-10-23 at 16:29.

Posts: 104 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ New York City

It is too late !

WebOS and BlackBerry OS will be the supporting role on smartphone market in the future.

Back to MeeGo,

NOKIA will not open their UI on N9 to INTEL, and INTEL only want to sell x86 CPUs. Supporting ARM is just to get NOKIA involved.

IMO,
NOKIA is now struggling, but will not be a main game player in the future on smartphone market.

Stop worrying for god's sake. Intel makes top of the line CPU, Nokia makes the best hardware, and that former Microsoft guy, the CEO of nokia knows how to make a OS great. Meego will fight it's way to the top. All it's needs it a decent UI and a great app store - the only reason everyone buys an iPhone is because of apps. Nokia's leaked UI looked great- too bad for you if you haven't seen it already. ( it got removed because of copyright) they just need a AppStore. I don't need to mention hardware, nokia always adds top of the line stuff to their phone.

Do everyone a favor - don't panic yet. And support the devs.
We all already know the stuff you are trying to tell us. It is just a waste of thread space.

Last edited by anwar71839; 2010-10-23 at 16:38.

The Following User Says Thank You to anwar71839 For This Useful Post:

It is too late !

Back to MeeGo,

IMO,

... not to be rude, but you really don't know what you are talking about.

Don't get me wrong MeeGo is uphill battle for Nokia and it can more than easily go horrible wrong, but you might be too young or haven't followed tech long enough to know that nothing is set to stone and most of these it's too late comments don't mean nothing other than you are maybe frustrated with the brand you like or like some other brand. In short emotions and nothing else.

Nokia might release one phone and perception has changed again. Lets also remember that Symbian actually went up last quarter where IOS came down.
http://www.nasdaq.com/aspx/stock-mar...tapplerim-fall

Originally Posted by AlMehdi View Post
Lol! Maemo as a tragedy... it have been the best OS for handhelds so far. iOS and Android would not have sufficed for me.
I think he was referring to sales. That thing that matters most to manufacturers. Yes we all love maemo but it has been a tragedy in terms of reach. I am guessing more iphone 4s were sold in first 6 hours of release than N900s have been sold in its entire life.

I disagree that it is too late for meego though. If all Nokia's top of the line phones next year are meego then meego is bound to have some mad sales. After all N97 sold a lot despite being one of the worst touch screen phones in history.

Thing I fear for meego in the smartphone sector is that it looks like Nokia just can't let symbian drop into the mid market as they suggested it would. So symbian is going to eat up a lot of potential meego sales. Also we are still yet to see other manufacturers by into meego but so many were ready to put their hand to windows phone 7. Maybe that will change when meego is nearer release but Nokia's abandoning N900 won't exactly fill them with confidence that meego will have a long life and so it is worth producing phones for.

Posts: 291 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on May 2010 @ France
Originally Posted by anwar71839 View Post
Nokia's leaked UI looked great- too bad for you if you haven't seen it already. ( it got removed because of copyright)
If you're fast, you can still see it before it will be removed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywHgqPQNonc

Tags
troll, trololololol