I still don't see what's so special about this... First off, I never owned a playstation, but i know very well of its potential (most people have it after all...) Apart from running pirated games and installing a few codecs, what then? Can I get one example of a really great homebrew application? The one thing that pisses me off of the PS3 is the immaturity of the OS.

Can the OS be fully manipulated now? Is full multitasking finally possible? Can the PS3 be able to read 720p and 1080p mkv video files (assuming it can read files over 4gb...) ?
And installing a new OS (such as MeeGo) sounds really good, but does it come with the price of the device no longer able to read a PS3 game?

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by IsaacDFP View Post
Can I get one example of a really great homebrew application?
Well, given that homebrew development has only just started on PS3 it's probably a bit early...

Banned | Posts: 778 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Jun 2010
I still don't see what's so special about this... First off, I never owned a playstation, but i know very well of its potential (most people have it after all...) Apart from running pirated games and installing a few codecs, what then? Can I get one example of a really great homebrew application? The one thing that pisses me off of the PS3 is the immaturity of the OS.

Can the OS be fully manipulated now? Is full multitasking finally possible? Can the PS3 be able to read 720p and 1080p mkv video files (assuming it can read files over 4gb...) ?
And installing a new OS (such as MeeGo) sounds really good, but does it come with the price of the device no longer able to read a PS3 game?
you dont own a ps3?
shame on u sir...
its too early for most of that stuff
but yes, it can read files bigger then 4gb from the internal drive

Originally Posted by fahadj2003 View Post
you dont own a ps3?
shame on u sir...
its too early for most of that stuff
but yes, it can read files bigger then 4gb from the internal drive
No and I will never own a PS3, not even if it was given as a gift. I just hate it that much, lol, it's been released since 2006 and Sony still handicaps its product. Have you seen all the amazing things that the NASA and several universities have accomplished while using the PS3 to its full potential? To me the PS3 is just like an iPhone, overrated soft and hardware. Fine, when it come to video games, nothing in the world beats the PS3, ill give you that. But do not give me that bull$#!t that the "PlayStation 3, it only does everything" wtf, they should be sued for false ad. Let me be able to minimize a video game, play some of my music, go check who's online on IM and leave it open, download a demo from the PSN and return to my game...that is called multitasking. My desktop computer does it, my N900 does it, and those are the only two devices I use because nothing else can even compare to their raw power.

Banned | Posts: 778 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Jun 2010
No and I will never own a PS3, not even if it was given as a gift. I just hate it that much, lol, it's been released since 2006 and Sony still handicaps its product. Have you seen all the amazing things that the NASA and several universities have accomplished while using the PS3 to its full potential? To me the PS3 is just like an iPhone, overrated soft and hardware. Fine, when it come to video games, nothing in the world beats the PS3, ill give you that. But do not give me that bull$#!t that the "PlayStation 3, it only does everything" wtf, they should be sued for false ad. Let me be able to minimize a video game, play some of my music, go check who's online on IM and leave it open, download a demo from the PSN and return to my game...that is called multitasking. My desktop computer does it, my N900 does it, and those are the only two devices I use because nothing else can even compare to their raw power.
actually "it only does everything" is wrong
though thats a software limitation *not for long*
plus no but yes.. at the end of the day.. pc is the best gaming device :P *n900 is.. "ok"*

Posts: 62 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ San Jose, Costa Rica
Ohh you folks that hacked your PS3 got f***ing raped now. New firmware update, new cool features.

Hackers got ***cked the s*** outta em.

Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
People saying the PS3 isn't powerfull enough etc, what about that cluster of PS3s the FBI set up as a cheaper alternative to supercomputers cluster for breaking encryptions?

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by MamoriNoTenshi View Post
Ohh you folks that hacked your PS3 got f***ing raped now. New firmware update, new cool features.

Hackers got ***cked the s*** outta em.
Ohhh... you.

Sony released an firmware update 3.56 for PlayStaion 3 yesterday for patching the jailbreak exploits and within 24hours hacker KaKaRoToKS has successfully jailbroken it. The hacker is not GeoHot because, Sony and GeoHot are going under a legal fight these days. KaKaRoToKS has made the root keys public for everyone to install HomeBrew applications.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Originally Posted by TiagoTiago View Post
People saying the PS3 isn't powerfull enough etc, what about that cluster of PS3s the FBI set up as a cheaper alternative to supercomputers cluster for breaking encryptions?
I'm not certain you are making reference to me...but I did say:
Have you seen all the amazing things that the NASA and several universities have accomplished while using the PS3 to its full potential?
I'm pretty sure it was NASA although it might have been the FBI, but these are extremelly powerful organizations (compared to an end-user) that are well aware of the PS3's full potential. What ticks me off is the fact Sony handicaps its console, and these so-called "hacks" should have been available since day 1. I know the PS3 is powerful, I know it could be able to play a 720p mkv file, let me play my own music during all games, or at least let me manually organize my video/audio files, but it is not permittent. And since, for a very personal individual reason, I very rarely play video games (except for MGS4, GoW3, Heavy Rain, and a very few other ps3 exclusives), to me the PS3 does not serve any purpose.

Posts: 62 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ San Jose, Costa Rica
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Ohhh... you.
Ohhh you!!! Now try to play online..