Closed Thread
Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
Originally Posted by Omega View Post
All I've seen from you is "neener neener".

Jimmy crack corn....and I forget how the rest of it goes man. The burden is on you now if you can't follow the links above.
is it just me, or did that not make a lick of sense?

omega saw his penis? ... twice? .... is that what a 'neener' is?

jimmy crack corn? wouldn't it have been easier to just say 'i don't care'? rather than resorting to 19th century pop culture references?

i'm confused...

Originally Posted by JayOnThaBeat View Post
ok, im pretty sure its some kind of compatability issue with the router

the router is a linksys wrt54g with wep128.

i can connect to the router, but it keeps asking me for the password.

however, a neighbor has a belkin54g, which I CAN connect to the internet, but its a super-weak/ unreliable signal.

im currently googling issues between ubuntu and wrt54g, but am not having much luck finding anything relevant.

comcast, top package
I have the same router and same security, and it works perfectly with my Kubuntu system. JFYI.

Author of TouchSearch -- web searching software for Maemo 5.

Mobile Device lineage: Palm Z22 -> Palm TX -> Nokia N800 -> Nokia N900

Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
Originally Posted by BrentDC View Post
I have the same router and same security, and it works perfectly with my Kubuntu system. JFYI.
i dunno, i can connect to the unsecure belkin54g across the street just fine. when i connect to my wrt54g, it finds it, asks me for the password, waits a minute, then asks me for the password again.

it sucks because i can't really troubleshoot because i can't get online with ubuntu, so i have to keep rebooting to google through windoze.

but enough of this off-topic tomfoolery, we're back to this whole 'n810 is totally useless' thing... i think the goal now is to think of the oddest possible phrases from the past... but i haven't done that since i was knee-high to a grasshopper........

http://www.mobilecomputermag.co.uk/2...et-tablet.html
"Sadly, that’s the beginning and end of what we like about the N810. The rest just seems like disappointment after disappointment."

http://www.cocoatech.com/weblog/arch...ia-n810-review
"Slow, buggy, unpolished and frustrating. Yes, Nokia’s N810 sucks big time. I hoped I could have told you the story of how I fell in love with my little Nokia, but she’s a real ***** and we’re through! Back in the box she goes. Off to a landfill where she’ll leak heavy metals and probably cause birth defects in future generations. It’s a sad pathetic little device."

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=22858
Look at that douche-bag first response! Talk about having a chip on your shoulder. The guy talks about a problem and he's being attacked right away.

http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/...ssage.id=30149
"I was not happy with the slow N810 and it's slow GPS connection speed and Nokia f me by paying 400 $ for E71 and then not too late after E71's release came up with E63 :smileysad: That's it - no more device from Nokia - I fed up with this bs. "

http://www.hawkee.com/shop/review/169040/
LOL!

So, anyway. Who will the fanboys attack with just a snapshot of the proof? Them against the world, huh? Just don't attack me for being honest, and certainly don't make up snot-faced nonsense to distract the point.
Most of the people here act like 12 year old girls.

That's egg on your face.
No offense, but there's just as many reviews that state the n810 is a great product. And just as many device comparasions between the Nokia devices and other ones such as the iPod touch out on the web. It's just the nature with people's reviews of any product out there. Heck whenever I buy something off of Newegg I will see negative reviews with products that are great and have a majority of positive reviews.

I'm also surprised that you also won't acknowledge that your device may or may not be broken. Considering in the past, there has been occurrences of that happening and people having to get it replaced. In fact when I bought my n800, there were a few bad batches out there (I was afraid I was going get a bad apple myself since they seemed to be coming from Buy.com). The only way to figure if there is something wrong is to compare it with another individual (either in person or over the web by asking questions. Such as "does anyone else n810's GPS take forever to get a lock [and then say give a time estimate).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

All I've seen from you is "neener neener".

Jimmy crack corn....and I forget how the rest of it goes man. The burden is on you now if you can't follow the links above.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=n810+review

Hell, because I'm bored.

pocketables.net (full disclaimer: I haven't heard of them before): "Even so, the N810 is still an incredibly versatile, capable, and impressive mobile device."

Ars Technica: "Like the N800, the N810 delivers one of the best experiences in mobile web browsing on the market. The new browser that ships with OS2008 is truly outstanding, and most of the rest of OS2008 is pretty darn impressive too. For Linux enthusiasts as well as regular users, Nokia's Maemo-based software platform offers power, flexibility, and ease of use. "

PC Mag: "Nokia's latest Internet tablet is the kind of device that Palm could have built, had the company been smarter and more determined. The N810 may finally break Nokia's cultish line of handhelds out from the Linux geek community into the rest of the world."

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dick-richardson For This Useful Post:
Omega, what is your modem's speed ? Maybe that is the problem, or else the ATxxx initialization sequence is wrong...

The Following User Says Thank You to fpp For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by deeteroderdas View Post
My first assignment in the military had one of these babies:
http://railroad-signaling.com/tty/tn_m28_jpg.jpg
Honkin', screamin', 75 baud!
Ah, 75bps, fond memories for the French... the Minitel, our greatest achievement after the Concorde supersonic and the Mayonnaise...

To cut costs, those dumb terminals had an ADSL-like modem : 1200bps downstream, but only 75bps upstream (V23), just enough for sending keyboard entries to the server.

That ISA card modem I mentioned earlier... it was actually for a Minitel emulator on PCs. But as it was derived from a regular modem chip, with proper initialization it could be made to work in V22 mode, hence with regular BBSes...

Posts: 192 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Wichita, KS
Omega, you've clearly demonstrated that there are other people out there that share your opinion of the n810. You're not the only one who wasn't satisfied. Point taken.

It's still possible that you had a defective unit, though. You have not been able to "conclusively refute" that.

I could be wrong, but judging from your posts, I think you would like to be taken seriously--by potential buyers and by those who disagree with you. If so, then please refrain from name-calling--e.g. "trolls", "hecklers", "tabletards"--and exaggerating--e.g. "totally useless." Unfortunately, it may be too late for this thread to be taken seriously by anyone.

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Poland / Bialystok
for me it's simple as that: what could I get for this money instead?
EEEPC? It doesn't fit my pocket. I could have it cheaper than high end palmtops on winmo.
If there would be device that meet my requirements - I would buy it instead. At first I was looking for some pdf reader and I think I've got quite good one since there's no point in reading pdf's on 320x240 - zooming and panning takes all the time.
To be honest device is not polished and lacks some worth buying apps ie for nav (Wayfinder is not an option - Nokia Maps would do) - but simply - one year ago there was no real avaliabe competitor.

The Following User Says Thank You to XTC For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
n810 is a ripoff, n900 is useless, nokia ripoff, not as advertised, paid too much, unresponsive