Active Topics

Notices

Great stuff
Can confirm that wiicontrol runs fine with this.

The Following User Says Thank You to deanoman99 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
Thanks a bunch!

Any way to edit the CFG and have the screen filled more?

Sorry, a few more questions:

1. How do I change and use different wads?

2. Do they have to be named "iwad" instead of "wad"?

Thanks again.
There are options for all that in the menu, but i haven't tested either choosing wads or going fullscreen.

Feel free to give it a spin. You can also pass directly the height and width as parameters if you run from the command line, but to get any more visible area than the current setup, you'll have to go fullscreen.

Wads have to have a .wad extension. It is a bit confusing because there are two kinds of wad file, and the prboom.wad is one kind. You need an iwad besides that. Doom2.wad is the default name it looks for an iwad. You can putting different iwads with different names in and see if it lets you select from the menu. Otherwise, you'll have to rename or move them out of that directory to have the one you want to play "on top".

Thanks for the report, deanoman99.

If you have a few minutes, remember that you can be part of the testing process, which you can read about here , and make sure the package meets the criteria in the QA Checklist. You can find the testing report page for it here.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
There are options for all that in the menu, but i haven't tested either choosing wads or going fullscreen.

Feel free to give it a spin. You can also pass directly the height and width as parameters if you run from the command line, but to get any more visible area than the current setup, you'll have to go fullscreen.

Wads have to have a .wad extension. It is a bit confusing because there are two kinds of wad file, and the prboom.wad is one kind. You need an iwad besides that. Doom2.wad is the default name it looks for an iwad. You can putting different iwads with different names in and see if it lets you select from the menu. Otherwise, you'll have to rename or move them out of that directory to have the one you want to play "on top".

Thanks for the report, deanoman99.

If you have a few minutes, remember that you can be part of the testing process, which you can read about here , and make sure the package meets the criteria in the QA Checklist. You can find the testing report page for it here.
Must admit it is getting frustrating having to command line for everything. You can edit and move files with a GUI rather than command interface for both Android and WM. We should at least have the option like those OS's do. Turn it on or leave it off, but at least give us the option. Seems there is more chance of screwing something up this way than simply allowing access through the file manager GUI.

Well, you don't have to use the command line, you can use a file manager. I don't know if midnight commander or something else is available because i'm more efficient using the command line, so i don't care. There are only two reasons you're "needing" to use the command line:
  • you're doing something outside the scope of what the claimed features are (ie i haven't claimed to have a wad management system) and
  • the Hildon Application Manager doesn't support optional packages

One of the main causes for both of those is that this is a new platform, and a new app port, and both solutions involve patience.

The solution to part one is request and wait or implement desired feature. The solution to part two is to get someone besides me and Texrat to give a rat's *** about the huge UI problem (brainstorm), with a subpart of rattling the mods' cages to get them to deputize other mods to kill the distraction of the majority of the activity in brainstorm that isn't structured enough (ie in compliance with the very simple rules).
</rant>

Nothing personal, just explaining my perspective.

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?

Last edited by Flandry; 2010-01-09 at 15:54.

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
Well, you don't have to use the command line, you can use a file manager. I don't know if midnight commander or something else is available because i'm more efficient using the command line, so i don't care. There are only two reasons you're "needing" to use the command line:
  • you're doing something outside the scope of what the claimed features are (ie i haven't claimed to have a wad management system) and
  • the Hildon Application Manager doesn't support optional packages

One of the main causes for both of those is that this is a new platform, and a new app port, and both solutions involve patience.

The solution to part one is request and wait or implement desired feature. The solution to part two is to get someone besides me and Texrat to give a rat's *** about the huge UI problem (brainstorm), with a subpart of rattling the mods' cages to get them to deputize other mods to kill the distraction of the majority of the activity in brainstorm that isn't structured enough (ie in compliance with the very simple rules).
</rant>

Nothing personal, just explaining my perspective.
Personal????!!!

Your much appreciated efforts with Doom and other ventures make you golden to me. You can call me a SOB and I would say, "Thank you sir, can I have another?!"

I "might" come across sometimes as a naive douche bag, but that does not mean I do not appreciate the effort and results

Just wish Nokia provided you guys with better / more resources in regards to the OS and it's ongoing improvement.

Been testing with the wiimote some more on tv-out
and due to the limited amount of buttons you can use
it would nice to have a cycle weapons in the key bindings
to save me using the keyboard.

Cheers again for this been playing doom2.wad for the first time
in about 16 years and my kids laugh saying it crap compared to COD4 on the X-box360!!

I wrote a little startup script to make fullscreen work better; it will go in the next release. For now if you prefer to play fullscreen, edit the config file to 800x480 res and enable fullscreen mode.

The '.' key is mapped to next weapon (calls it '<' in the game menu, i think). I actually was considering changing it to something i don't hit by accident as much because fists are not good vs shotguns.

Last edited by Flandry; 2010-01-10 at 12:39.

Hi Guys,

So im no linux guru, but I have used linux for 4 years way back in 1998-2002. So im a little rusty, since I moved over to Microsoft (DONT HATE ME!)

So basically, I want to install

1) Quake 3 Arena. Big big fan, but I cant figure out how to install it. I got rootsh, and sudo gainroot etc, but I cant get it working. Can anyone direct me on how to install this game?

Any apt-get command I can use?

2) Duke Nukem 3D. I was told its on the App Manager, but its not. I dont have devel open, as im a noob, but I got extras and testing open, and I still dont have it. Is it in devel?

Any apt-get command I can use?

3) Finally, I also have PrBoom, the Doom clone, but I cant seem to play it. it just seems like a video demo or something. what is this thing?

Thanks for any help!

N900 Rocks! Its good to be back on linux. I just need to learn everything all over again! :*(

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
3) hit backspace as long as you go to main menu and then press enter. It might be some weird keyboard layout problem at least from first run.

I think 1 and 2 are in development.

The Following User Says Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
Because these are all maintained by different people, you should post your questions to the threads about the apps in question.

Prboom, just like the original Doom; starts playing back a demo after a few seconds. You press most any key before that starts or press Backspace after it is going to open the game menu and start a game.

While this is obvious to me, it has come up twice now from people unfamiliar with Doom; so i will look into ways of improving the startup experience for the nect release.

Last edited by Flandry; 2010-01-12 at 14:06.