Active Topics

Originally Posted by Redshift View Post
I hope the revisions to the UI include removing the tap and hold mechanism for simulating right clicking. This is one feature of the current UI that drives me nuts, because it's so inconsistent and I have to try several times to get it too work. Not only that, but frequently the menu shows up where your finger or stylus are obstructing your view of the menu. It'd be great if the menus just popped up when you select the item, and in a place where they won't be obstructed from view.

I also agree with the comment that titlebars are unneccesary. Again, they seem to be a vestigial carryover from desktop UIs. This would free up more space for status bar icons.
Oh, man, I love that feature. When I had a Palm TX, I always wished more applications would take advantage of that...

BTW, I'm also extremely impressed with the N8X0's touchscreen. After 4 Palm TX's failing from 'Digitizer Drift' or 'Dead Spots'' it is certainly a relief.

Author of TouchSearch -- web searching software for Maemo 5.

Mobile Device lineage: Palm Z22 -> Palm TX -> Nokia N800 -> Nokia N900

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I think OS2008 is a significant improvement over 2007... which was an improvement over 2006... which was an improvement over 2005. More to come.

And it's funny how half the users scream for more finger-friendliness while the other half protests against it. Damn... if only all people could be pleased, all the time (cue famous Louis Armstrong song).

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
bad news.

after all, the "finger friendliness" was what started this thread IIRC.
I like finger friendliness... but I would PREFER a rollback to CONTEXT friendliness...

Last edited by Texrat; 2008-08-26 at 02:55.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 259 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Halifax, NS
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
And it's funny how half the users scream for more finger-friendliness while the other half protests against it. Damn... if only all people could be pleased, all the time (cue famous Louis Armstrong song).
'You're the Tops!"? "Bess, You is my Woman Now"? Oh, I know, "A Fine Romance"! Yeah that one actually fits well.

Personally I'm happy to see strong feelings from both sides. Sometimes some peoples' preferences can be buried in a tumult of one-sided complaints.

The Following User Says Thank You to BoxOfSnoo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by BoxOfSnoo View Post
'You're the Tops!"? "Bess, You is my Woman Now"? Oh, I know, "A Fine Romance"! Yeah that one actually fits well.

Personally I'm happy to see strong feelings from both sides. Sometimes some peoples' preferences can be buried in a tumult of one-sided complaints.
Agreed with troublemaker sentiment.

But you fail on the song. Come on, Snoo! "What a Wonderful World"!

Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
Why not let the user set to stylus mode or finger mode? Bring back the finger/stylus recognition in case the user is using the other input method on occasion, but set the scrollbars, icon layout, etc., based on the mode setting. Seems common sense, right?

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to mullf For This Useful Post:
^ what he said

I agree with Texrat, overall I like os2008. I think the ideal solution would be to make a finger oriented UI and a stylus oriented UI and the user would have a setting to choose which they like to use. In some situations I like using finger, but more often than not I use stylus.

edit, mullf beat me to it.

Last edited by pataphysician; 2008-08-26 at 03:24.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by mullf View Post
Why not let the user set to stylus mode or finger mode? Bring back the finger/stylus recognition in case the user is using the other input method on occasion, but set the scrollbars, icon layout, etc., based on the mode setting. Seems common sense, right?
Hey, instead of waiting for Nokia to get its head out of its own keester (yeah, right) why don't we help (read: coerce ) fiferboy integrate finger detection into Personal Menu?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Can he be bribed?

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by gene.cash View Post
... a capacitive touchscreen
So what exactly is that? (not having seen a JesusPhone)
A touchscreen that cannot be used be an ordinary stylus (or pen or whatever is at hands), but only registers a special stylus-like device or bare fingers. From a usability point of view, it's absurd.

Tags
stuff nokia should read, user interface, whining