Posts: 156 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Scotland
Bastler,

Everything you've said sounds about right to me, thats the kind of thing i was expecting. But reading through the threads on the forum you'd think there was no aspect of the device working... including the basics! There doesn't seem to be any feature not getting a good bashing.

My N900 was atempted to be delivered this morning during the 40 minutes there was noone in... typical!!! I guess i'll be waiting till Monday now. Stupid New Year!

Looking forward to having a play around.

All the best for the New Year folks.

New Year, new Phone!

Don't let that bother you! Just remember, the majority of users on this forum are tech nerds who would gladly sell their firstborn child for a new gadget but also expect that kind of perfection in their devices!

Here, saying a feature works 99.995% of the time is not considered praise, but a challenge to identify and eliminate the one-in-a-million environmental condition that causes the function to crash... Also as stated above, why bother ranting about features that work just as expected?

The longer I use my new N900 the more I love it. Sure there are still a few glitches here and there and I admit the media player not supporting the "Part-of-Set" (CD-Number) tag is somewhat of an annoyance since all my musig is tagged that way. But hey, no device is perfect and a fix was already promised.
Yes, you have to watch the battery a bit, but that too is not really surprising and pretty predictable, too, so it's not really a problem for me.
If you use the device like an old-fashioned telephone, the battery lasts like a telephone's battery would (eg a week or so).
If on the other hand you use it as a WiFi-enabled game console under heavy load.. well... the battery acts accordingly.

If I'm honest with myself I haven't found any real show-stoppers yet.

Happy New Year

Last edited by bastler; 2010-01-01 at 16:02.

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Feel free to check out my ongoing review. I haven't really encountered that many problems yet.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=38498

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Posts: 117 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Hardenberg
Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
Hi all,

I ordered based on some reviews i've read, some were good, some not so good. Then tonight, instead of playing with my N900 i did a bit more research. Having found this site i am now concerned i have made a mistake! it's all doom and gloom! Even knowing this is a new device i was expecting there to be glitches but it seems never ending.

I realise that you tend to find mainly problems online if you look for phones, cars, gadgets,TV's (anything really!) etc etc but really...

is there anything good to say about the N900???

come on guys... REASSURE ME!!!!
Think of this platform as a self-help emergency room in a big city full of mostly healthy citizens.. You could get a wrong idea about health statistics of the human species there!

Posts: 156 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Scotland
Well, i picked up my N900 this morning and all i can say is WOW! This is one seriously good bit of kit.

Anybody having doubts should erase them! Have been playing around with it for a few hours now and am nothing but impressed. It just does what you went you want and the screen is just superb. so responsive. coming from Win Mo 5 through to 6.5 i am used to lag/hangs and what seems like constant resets when trying to do too much (i.e. 3 things).

Tried the FM transmitter in the my car - love the Nokia RDS thingy - and it works flawlessly. Decent sound quality but far from the best, will play around with frequencies to see if i can improve it. I had it set at 88.1, when i switched off the transmitter i could here an audible but distorted signal from Radio 2 so it was good enough to overcome that.

'nough sed. time to play again.