Originally Posted by ohwut View Post
I agree it's definitely not on the same level as Maemo, but it's hardly a PITA especially the PITA it used to be, all of the platforms are relatively easy to gain root access on, I guess I just personally don't consider connecting a device to a computer, and clicking one .exe to be entirely difficult(iPhone/Android) or copying one file to a SD card and flashing it(WM/Other Android). But yes compared to "sudo gainroot" it's definitely more effort.
Well for the Droid.. and for the G1/MyTouch's that are still on the right firmware I agree that it's mostly painless. Normal users should be OK with these and less chance of a brick.

I don't know anything about the Nexus.

For the CLIQ though.. I do see that one as being a pain. 2 separate downloads, plus a series of flashes and commands that must be entered perfectly... yeah. I don't see average joe enjoying rooting their Cliq very much.

While the steps documenting is fairly clear.. and most people should be OK doing it.. well - look around these forums for a bit and you'll see .

That's one of the things that makes Maemo stand out so much is the ability to root the device so easily. That's also the main reason I argue that it's pointless for root not to be on there by default.. it's so bloody easy to get it that you sure aren't stopping *anybody* from doing it. May as well just be there.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 76 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Portland, Or
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
Well for the Droid.. and for the G1/MyTouch's that are still on the right firmware I agree that it's mostly painless. Normal users should be OK with these and less chance of a brick.

I don't know anything about the Nexus.

For the CLIQ though.. I do see that one as being a pain. 2 separate downloads, plus a series of flashes and commands that must be entered perfectly... yeah. I don't see average joe enjoying rooting their Cliq very much.

While the steps documenting is fairly clear.. and most people should be OK doing it.. well - look around these forums for a bit and you'll see .

That's one of the things that makes Maemo stand out so much is the ability to root the device so easily. That's also the main reason I argue that it's pointless for root not to be on there by default.. it's so bloody easy to get it that you sure aren't stopping *anybody* from doing it. May as well just be there.
I don't see these forums as a good example of people, I actually feel pretty average around here. I always feel really smart hanging around xda and CrackBerry because it seems the standard user knows quite a bit less than I think they do so maybe I give people too much credit. It is interesting to see the level of dare I say "stupid" questions erupting around pretty much every device forum when a new one comes out, or anytime a new ROM/Root is released for Android, a new ROM for WM, or Leaked BlackBerry OS is released you see a wonderful sudden influx of "Oh no my device is bricked PLS HALP" and you wonder why they lock them down =D

The Following User Says Thank You to ohwut For This Useful Post:
and you wonder why they lock them down =D
Oh no.. I don't wonder at all . I understand perfectly *why*.. I just don't want them to lock me out . I don't want to have to nearly break my device just to get access to it... because I do actually know what I'm doing with a root shell. I wish Apple and Android devices had an *official* way to root their devices.. it doesn't have to be severely point-click easy.. just possible without resorting to hacks from unknown Internet sources. Security goes out the window at that point.

(Note: I run Super-D ROM off XDA on my G1 - I find it to be more responsive and multi-task friendly than many of cyanogen's )

Posts: 76 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Portland, Or
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
Oh no.. I don't wonder at all . I understand perfectly *why*.. I just don't want them to lock me out . I don't want to have to nearly break my device just to get access to it... because I do actually know what I'm doing with a root shell. I wish Apple and Android devices had an *official* way to root their devices.. it doesn't have to be severely point-click easy.. just possible without resorting to hacks from unknown Internet sources. Security goes out the window at that point.

(Note: I run Super-D ROM off XDA on my G1 - I find it to be more responsive and multi-task friendly than many of cyanogen's )
I finally got around to flashing JAC's xROM 2.1 on my MyTouch while I wait for my N900 replacement and I hate how slow it is...but I miss 2.1 quite a bit after returning my Nexus. It would be nice to have little option in the boot loader called "Root" in both the iPhone and Android devices, followed maybe by a "Carrier and Software warranty will be voided CONTINUE, ARE YOU REALLY SURE" then you get root.

I finally got around to flashing JAC's xROM 2.1 on my MyTouch while I wait for my N900 replacement and I hate how slow it is...but I miss 2.1 quite a bit after returning my Nexus. It would be nice to have little option in the boot loader called "Root" in both the iPhone and Android devices, followed maybe by a "Carrier and Software warranty will be voided CONTINUE, ARE YOU REALLY SURE" then you get root.
I haven't tried a 2.1 ROM yet. Seemed too unstable... I do like to play with my devices but when the chance of bricking them is so high I run weary. I accidentally flashed a newer cyanogen without updating my radio first ... it would lockup on boot. Good thing that one was recoverable by flashing an older cyanogen again.

And for the second part.. I agree partially: It shouldn't void your damn warranty just because you get root . That's what's stupid and not "open" about it.

Posts: 71 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ CT, USA
http://linux.slashdot.org/comments.p...8&cid=31016760

While (most of) Android may be open source and continue to be, it's kernel will not be linux, but rather a fork of it. The definition of "open" is a little murky here, particularly if you're a kernel hacker or a hardware manufacturer.

The Following User Says Thank You to chowdahhead For This Useful Post: