Active Topics

Banned | Posts: 291 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Dec 2009
Originally Posted by torpedo48 View Post
When an iPhone user asks me why I've not bought an iPhone instead of my N900, my first answer is always "Because I need multitasking".

Now, there are two different types of people:
- Someone says "Ah, you do not need real multitasking, it's useless"
- Others say "iPhone has multitasking"
- Someone else, the most informed but still ignorant, says "iPhone, with appropriate applications, can get multitasking"

I wasn't able to continue the conversation with those people, because I'm usually not able to instantly show a convincing demonstration of what I mean by the word "multitasking" (convincing for the common iPhone user).

Until now

While I was waiting at a bus stop, I found myself (and my phone) in a real multitasking situation, so I decided to take a screenshot.
Next time someone asks me an example of what can an N900 do that an iPhone can't, I'll show him/her this:

Explaining him/her that I was connected to my bluetooth stereo headset and of course I was listening to my music with it, while reading my songs' lyrics on screen. Meantime, I was connected to the Internet and I was avaiable on Skype, I was sharing 9 images on my Ovi Share account, while I was tracking my position with GPS. And of course I was monitoring CPU and RAM activity with the applet, while I was taking screenshots.

All these things with excellent performances!

Do you have any screenshot of high-stress situation? Post them here!
Do you have a job

Originally Posted by Guber99 View Post
Do you have a job
Ahahah, of course not

Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
Well, iPhone can do multitasking. As in, it can play a music in the background. To majority of iPhone users, that's all they need. =P
(Well, it can't even do that with all apps)
Iphone really sucks for Multitasking...

Originally Posted by Mazi View Post
Iphone really sucks for Multitasking...
ipHone pretty much sucks at everything except UI and web browsing (give credit where credit is due!)

I simply couldn't survive without multitasking, my OLD OLD nokia 6630 had it, as did my 6680, N70, N80, N95 and now N95 8GB and N900.

Phone without multitasking is like a brick wall without any cement!

N900 is a behemoth when it comes to multitasking! I can do so much stuff at the same time without slowing it down too much! However it would be nice to have had 512MB of RAM rather than 256mb and 768mb swap.

The only TRUE replacement for my N95 8GB, once I get a decent sat nav on it.

I opened Micro B browser with youtube running, then opened Firefox 1.0.0 with iplayer running, then opened Music player after that every single application I have well I tried until I got bored

I managed to open over 44 apps and the music was still running!!!!!!

There was some slow down as I reached 40 apps.

On normal use I have browser with 3 tabs open. MSN, Notes, PDF, conversations(sms) and music player without any problems and sometimes take/make calls. Runs smoothly and I can also copy and paste between apps and browser/email.

Last edited by CaSPeRFXX; 2010-02-11 at 16:13.

I myself always have an xterm or two open, usually one with a recently completed apt-get dist-upgrade, one with a stale ssh session to one of my servers.

Also the mediaplayer (always listening to music with my bluetooth headphones), conversations, email, BatteryEye, and sometimes calendar.

I tend not to leave browser windows open as if they have any flash elements it'll drain the battery processing them.

Originally Posted by nightfire View Post
I myself always have an xterm or two open, usually one with a recently completed apt-get dist-upgrade, one with a stale ssh session to one of my servers.

Also the mediaplayer (always listening to music with my bluetooth headphones), conversations, email, BatteryEye, and sometimes calendar.

I tend not to leave browser windows open as if they have any flash elements it'll drain the battery processing them.
Get flash blocker from the repo and ad-blocker, that way you only load flash when you want to and ads are blocked.

Flash really suck on linux - memory leaks everywhere. We need flash 10.1 with video acceleration.

Posts: 477 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Munich, Germany
I should probably not disturb you in your iPhone-bashing session, but of course the iPhone can multitask. At the core, it runs BSD unix, like all os X machines. It is just that Apple chose to pause background GUI applications to save power.

And not all applications, obviously. Of course, while you are busy checking google maps or so, it will monitor the phone and TCP/IP network, and play music in the background.

This doesn't make the N900 any less valuable, of course...

Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
And not all applications, obviously. Of course, while you are busy checking google maps or so, it will monitor the phone and TCP/IP network, and play music in the background.
MP3's maybe... do all that while listening to Pandora Radio, for example. And while a large web page loads.. swap over to type an SMS to a friend, and then back to a completed page (keeping Pandora running, mind you) .
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 477 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Munich, Germany
Well... I can't listen to Pandora radio anyway, it is not available outside the US.

Indeed if you switch to type an SMS, the page won't load in the background. But trying to convince me is futile: I have an N900 and not an iPhone, remember?