Active Topics

Notices

Thanks for merging my thread mods, sorry for the inconvenience

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by Snaps View Post
Thanks for merging my thread mods, sorry for the inconvenience
Just trying to keep things tidy. I edited the sticky to reflect the developmental nature of some of the games. Sorry for the confusion it may have caused. Feel free to inquire in the threads here about those games as i don't know their present state either.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Thats fine Flandry, sorry for making you work a little more

I think I got Quake 3 figured out. Duke shareware is on devel, and in Doom I just need to figure out the controls. So i think I got it all sorted anyway

The Following User Says Thank You to Snaps For This Useful Post:
Only six testers and none of them have commented on whether the keyboard layout workaround works. I can't believe i spent time fixing that. :P

Get off your butts and test Doom please.

See the release page for details.

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?

Last edited by Flandry; 2010-01-15 at 22:45.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
Only six testers and none of them have commented on whether the keyboard layout workaround works. I can't believe i spent time fixing that. :P

Ok. I really would like to make report but I´m having little issues. I have read wiki page and it makes little sense to me

So couple of questions before writing report.

1. [ ] Bug database exist.
- You have link on your package page to bugzilla and there seems to be package named. Prboom. Ok?

2. [ ] Licensing ok.
- I do not know anything about this? I think that i should i be at least lawyer to say anything about this. Where do i find license file? When installing it says that this has nothing to do with nokia. Is that license? Probably not.

3. [ ] No illegal/dubious content.
- According to wiki your program doesn't have any dubious material by MY country laws. Probably it's illegal in some countries :|

4. [ ] Working provided features.
- First time when i installed (dont remember version number) enter didn't work to get menu but backspace did. I uninstalled and installed prboom again and now it seems to work from start. I do not know if i had some leftowers from first installation. So right now its working as it should work.

- BUT guide and keys are listed in talk section and you have to search it. Quite many N900 probably have no idea of this place so if i used only app manager from n900 then I would have no idea of keys. Maybe keys should be mentioned before install at least in detailed sections.

5. [ ] No missing announced features.
- Yep. Everything works as you said here in talk.maemo.org.

6. [ ] Optification ok.
- No idea at all. Did as wiki suggested "dpkg -L prboom" and there is list of files. Some in opt and some in /usr/share. So how do i verify this? I did read http://wiki.maemo.org/Opt_Problem and I do not understand it :|

7. [ ] No performance problems.
- Works as it should for me. When minimized game pauses.

8. [ ] No power management issues.
- When minimized it CPU drops. Only pulseaudio keeps hitting 10-15 cpu but thats probably Fremantles "issue". Or is it?

9. [ ] No known security risks.
- I cant think any

Maybe I´m not adequate to do testing but i really much would like to learn. It would greatly help if there were more examples in wiki. Right now it feels like its only for professionals :|

ps.
Some tips.

Å - On finnish kbd is mapped as , (worth of saying in guide)
. - Too close to arrow keys so that you press it while turning (Looks like you also noticed this)
If i put game pause and return to it it unpauses itself. Maybe pause should be always inactivated with keypress?

The Following User Says Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
Thanks a lot for taking the time to go through the process! Here are some tips.

Originally Posted by slender View Post
Ok. I really would like to make report but I´m having little issues. I have read wiki page and it makes little sense to me

So couple of questions before writing report.

1. [ ] Bug database exist.
- You have link on your package page to bugzilla and there seems to be package named. Prboom. Ok?
Yup, the requirment is that there be a way to report bugs given in the control file, which creates that link on the package page.

2. [ ] Licensing ok.
- I do not know anything about this? I think that i should i be at least lawyer to say anything about this. Where do i find license file? When installing it says that this has nothing to do with nokia. Is that license? Probably not.
I don't think there are very specific guidelines for this besides not hosting copyrighted material against the terms of the copyright. Usually this means there should be a copyright or license agreement file installed along with the package. You can find this in the opt/prboom/doc directory, and it says that the binary is GPL licensed, which means it's ok to distribute. The Shareware wad that is installed by default is also licensed to distribute freely.

Check.

3. [ ] No illegal/dubious content.
- According to wiki your program doesn't have any dubious material by MY country laws. Probably it's illegal in some countries :|
Good point. Maemo has a fairly lenient policy. If there's a problem with violent shooter games, i guess we'll hear about it, but i expect they will be ok. Download if it's legal, don't if it's not. Check.

4. [ ] Working provided features.
- First time when i installed (dont remember version number) enter didn't work to get menu but backspace did. I uninstalled and installed prboom again and now it seems to work from start. I do not know if i had some leftowers from first installation. So right now its working as it should work.
The UI could be better but this is more or less the behavior of Doom. Prboom seems to be a bit more selective in that once the demo playback starts, only Backspace will bring up the menu. I will look into improving this but all the features are definitely there.

Check.

- BUT guide and keys are listed in talk section and you have to search it. Quite many N900 probably have no idea of this place so if i used only app manager from n900 then I would have no idea of keys. Maybe keys should be mentioned before install at least in detailed sections.
Universal problem in Maemo right now, isn't it? UI is fairly intuitive but the documentation provisions are stuck at the command line linux stage.

5. [ ] No missing announced features.
- Yep. Everything works as you said here in talk.maemo.org.

6. [ ] Optification ok.
- No idea at all. Did as wiki suggested "dpkg -L prboom" and there is list of files. Some in opt and some in /usr/share. So how do i verify this? I did read http://wiki.maemo.org/Opt_Problem and I do not understand it :|
The .desktop and icon files are tiny and there's no reason they can't go in root. Usually, if you see anything in opt, it means it's been optified. Verifying that is a good idea.

Generally less than 2-300kB in root would be considered optified but it only takes one person to verify this, and there are supposed to be "official" testers, so don't worry too much about it if most of the files are in opt.

Check and check.

7. [ ] No performance problems.
- Works as it should for me. When minimized game pauses.

8. [ ] No power management issues.
- When minimized it CPU drops. Only pulseaudio keeps hitting 10-15 cpu but thats probably Fremantles "issue". Or is it?

9. [ ] No known security risks.
- I cant think any
The pulse audio thing seems to be hard to get around. Maybe there's some command i can send it... not too concerned about it, though.: MP3 playback runs 20 hours with that kind of processor usage. Check.

Maybe I´m not adequate to do testing but i really much would like to learn. It would greatly help if there were more examples in wiki. Right now it feels like its only for professionals :|

ps.
Some tips.

Å - On finnish kbd is mapped as , (worth of saying in guide)
. - Too close to arrow keys so that you press it while turning (Looks like you also noticed this)
If i put game pause and return to it it unpauses itself. Maybe pause should be always inactivated with keypress?
Yeah, i'll move the next weapon key. It's a tradeoff between having it accessible and having it accidentally hit. Which key would be best?

The pause thing i mention specifically in the release notes. It's a "feature". Not going to change it because it made the auto-pause and sleep easier to do this way and i don't think it's going to be a problem. I'll add a 1 s delay when switching back, though. Seem like a good compromise?

The Following User Says Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Oh. Now i understand. I should give thumbs up only after doing review and copy paste it to comment section.

Douh. I have already voted thumb up after first install because i thought that it´s nice that you put it together. Same thing what i have done on brainstorm or in download section.

Sorry to say but this whole system is really confusing. From wiki it says that system is under construction. Whole comment system should be totally different. It should first ask sections in wiki one by one and after that you could give thumbs up or down.

The Following User Says Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
I understand your pain, but if I may, this is not too surprising, given the way this little gem of an idea is hidden here :-)

I haven't yet gotten around to testing DOOM on the N900 (too many other new stuff everywhere :-), so I wasn't following this thread, either (too many other new threads everywhere :-). I only found out about your idea because that other guy opened another topic specifically about the arrow keys issue on non US/UK/NL devices, and you mentioned it there.

In short, I think it is pure genius, *if* it can be made to work reliably (especially the multitasking part). But when you're ready to publish your solution, it really deserves its own topic to let everyone know, not just DOOM lovers :-)

PS: BTW, I can't help on this one. I'm French, and usually sensitive to this sort of thing, but as I got my device from DDP it has a QWERTY keyboard, which I'm quite happy with :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to fpp For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fpp View Post
I understand your pain, but if I may, this is not too surprising, given the way this little gem of an idea is hidden here :-)

I haven't yet gotten around to testing DOOM on the N900 (too many other new stuff everywhere :-), so I wasn't following this thread, either (too many other new threads everywhere :-). I only found out about your idea because that other guy opened another topic specifically about the arrow keys issue on non US/UK/NL devices, and you mentioned it there.

In short, I think it is pure genius, *if* it can be made to work reliably (especially the multitasking part). But when you're ready to publish your solution, it really deserves its own topic to let everyone know, not just DOOM lovers :-)

PS: BTW, I can't help on this one. I'm French, and usually sensitive to this sort of thing, but as I got my device from DDP it has a QWERTY keyboard, which I'm quite happy with :-)
I'm in the process of making an official thread for PrBoom. I have had one partially prepared sitting in the edit window for a few days with plans to wait until the testing had shown that the new workaround, um, works , and for PrBoom to be promoted to Extras, but i'm going to go ahead with it.

Thanks for your comments.

Edit: Please direct any future discussion of the PrBoom port to the official thread. Any other doom ports can be discussed here.

Last edited by Flandry; 2010-01-16 at 23:46.

Posts: 515 | Thanked: 266 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oelsted, Denmark

It works great Flandry... THANKS! Also noted here...