Active Topics

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Nokia themselves can't even upload a game they already had available back in February. (Rollercoaster 3D)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7lHPX_iHKs&1&fmt=18

So smoku, you are not alone. =P

The Following User Says Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Oh, I'm sorry.
I feel less cheated now...

The Following User Says Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
I do not quite understand the obsession with the Ovi Store. As Ovi Store makes it virtually impossible to submit content, difficult to download content, does not seem to do any quality control, and (apparently) does not provide sufficient copy protection, I do not see why anyone would even use it. We have got Extras. App Manager + Extras work way better than the Ovi Store. Why not just use that?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to fms For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fms View Post
I do not quite understand the obsession with the Ovi Store. As Ovi Store makes it virtually impossible to submit content, difficult to download content, does not seem to do any quality control, and (apparently) does not provide sufficient copy protection, I do not see why anyone would even use it. We have got Extras. App Manager + Extras work way better than the Ovi Store. Why not just use that?
And with FapMan it's even better!

One thing that was always frustrating about the default App Manager was the inability to select multiple packages to install. I mean seriously... every apt/yum/rpm/deb front-end in the past.. forever.. has had that capability...

ETA: However.. I can understand frustrations if people want to sell their apps. The only way to really do that on Extras is to release a "shareware" version that someone has a form of "unlock" key that is automatically generated specific to the device when it's installed.. and they pay the developer who then gives them an unlock key for full functionality... or something similar.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
ETA: However.. I can understand frustrations if people want to sell their apps. The only way to really do that on Extras is to release a "shareware" version that someone has a form of "unlock" key that is automatically generated specific to the device when it's installed.. and they pay the developer who then gives them an unlock key for full functionality... or something similar.
I do not see a problem there. People sold their apps for ages, long before Apple's AppStore appeared. You set up a deal with a credit card processing company (like eSellerate) and start selling unlock keys. You app is still available from Extras-Testing Non-Free. True, there is no sane way it can ever migrate to proper Extras, but pretty much everyone has Extras-Testing enabled nowadays.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fms For This Useful Post:
I do not see a problem there. People sold their apps for ages, long before Apple's AppStore appeared. You set up a deal with a credit card processing company (like eSellerate) and start selling unlock keys. You app is still available from Extras-Testing Non-Free. True, there is no sane way it can ever migrate to proper Extras, but pretty much everyone has Extras-Testing enabled nowadays.
Understood but it's more work on the developer.

On the one hand: There's supposedly a store they can upload their closed source app and users can't even download it without first paying.

On the other hand: There's a repository where users can download their app and the developer themselves have to code in a special way to handle keys.

See which one is easier?

Don't get me wrong.. I don't pay for software anyway.. so I'm certainly not a user of the software I'm talking about.. I only deal with Open Source. I am just saying I can see their frustration... it's just a Non-issue for me.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Like I want to jump through all these hoops.

It's easier to just forget this niche Nokia target and port my apps to Android and have all the benefits of a working store, huge userbase, nice application browser every single android user has installed, and nice web frontend. Even registration is cheaper ($25 AM < €50 OS).

Posts: 820 | Thanked: 436 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Portsmouth, UK.
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Can't sue people for stuff that barely works despite claims otherwise people would sue Microsoft every damn day.
When you buy goods you enter into a contract with the seller of those goods. Under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 goods must be:

* 'as described',
* 'of satisfactory quality', and
* 'fit for purpose' – this means both their everyday purpose, and also any specific purpose that you agreed with the seller (for example, if you specifically asked for a printer that would be compatible with your computer).

Goods sold must also match any sample you were shown in-store, or any description in a brochure.

....LAWYERED!

Originally Posted by smoku View Post
It is really not that difficult.

It's easier to just forget this niche Nokia target and port my apps to Android and have all the benefits of a working store, huge userbase, nice application browser every single android user has installed, and nice web frontend. Even registration is cheaper ($25 AM < €50 OS).
Android has got its own share of warts. To begin with, it is a Java-only platform (their native APIs are rudimentary). Secondly, app stores are really bad for app distribution or sales, as they tend to only present the most popular apps to the user. The rest get buried down-list, never to be found by an average user. Thirdly, app stores give you smaller share of profit than credit card processors. And so forth.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fms For This Useful Post:
Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Originally Posted by smoku View Post

Nokia were well on their way with this December 2009/january 2010.

They created enough "buzz" to get peoples's interest in it.

Not now.

Any sane Developer thinks like smoku now.

Of course the "ivory Tower Directors" just do not understand this.

Last edited by johnel; 2010-08-12 at 15:08.

Tags
ovi store