I'm already working on a widget that allows you to search the web -- called TouchSearch. It's currently not working, but just needs a couple bugs fixed in python-hildon[desktop] to be fully functional.

http://maemo.org/packages/view/touchsearch/

I'm still trying to figure out how to have the widget look like the stock ones .e.g. partially transparent with a drop shadow, though

Author of TouchSearch -- web searching software for Maemo 5.

Mobile Device lineage: Palm Z22 -> Palm TX -> Nokia N800 -> Nokia N900

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BrentDC For This Useful Post:
Posts: 219 | Thanked: 98 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
desktop stripper

The Following User Says Thank You to r0eladn For This Useful Post:
how about a widget to use talk.maemo.org
i mean to follow the last posts(maybe with rss function),active topics search a topic, reply, thanks.etc......

Posts: 70 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London, UK
New items on RSS feeds.

I suppose the widget will also have to be connected to a main RSS application, and be part of that program.

I have not even used Maemo yet, so I do not know how feasible this is, or if it is there already.

Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
I also second the webcam monitor and radar image.

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
How about a Flashlight widget that instead of whiting the screen invokes the Dual Led flash. The led is behind the lens cover but slipping that open and hitting a small on off icon on one of the desktops would be awesome just like the Nokia 1100.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mobiledivide For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
BrentDC, your widget will work like the old Maemo search widget? A choice for each search that I'd like to perform... One for searching Google, one for searching wikipedia, one for searching talk.maemo.org, etc, etc... basically, a widget with a text field that sends a request to a webpage.

Also I want a translate widget. Let me choose my from and to languages, my translation engine (translate.google.com or babelfish or something else), and let me enter my phrase...

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Bulgaria
Not a big fan of Twitter myself, but I'm sure someone will appreciate a "Quick Tweet" widget.

Or maybe go a bit further and make it update the status on Facebook/Twitter/[insert your favorite social networking site here]. Now, this is something I can use.

The Following User Says Thank You to Corwin_bg For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by Corwin_bg View Post
Not a big fan of Twitter myself, but I'm sure someone will appreciate a "Quick Tweet" widget.

Or maybe go a bit further and make it update the status on Facebook/Twitter/[insert your favorite social networking site here]. Now, this is something I can use.
You can use Pixelpipe for that. Send status messages through IM and it will update all at the same time.

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
You can use Pixelpipe for that. Send status messages through IM and it will update all at the same time.
Pixelpipe will make a great back-end for such widget. A quick search in the forums revealed that they're testing an application for N900. Perhaps, they'll provide a widget... or it is a widget.

Time will tell if there's a need for a stand-alone widget.

Tags
fremantle, requests, widgets